PDA

View Full Version : Audio distortion on analogue out!!!

bulmers
20-02-2010, 01:33 AM
I noticed that the audio out from the scart socket and the twin phono (RCA) sockets suffer from distortion. I discovered it when I connected the box to the AUX input on my hifi. Ive got no problems with HDMI to the TV and connect the TV to the hifi. But I would like to use the box as a music player connected to my hifi without turning on my TV.

Anyone else with this problem? Its more noticable with music.

xanadu
20-02-2010, 02:04 AM
It's due to poor quality hardware DAC.

When I use an external Cambridge Audio DACMAGIC to convert the optical digital audio output of Azbox HD to analogue audio, the sound quality is superb through my old Mission Cyrus analogue audio amplifier.

Not sure how easy it would be to upgrade the internal Azbox DAC, but I would guess it is probably not possible as everything is most likely on one chip?

bulmers
20-02-2010, 02:16 AM
Thanks for the conformation xanadu. I thought it was strange that I couldnt find any posts in relation to this problem so I thought that maybe it was just me with a faulty box. Looks like Ill have to go down the external DAC road.

all the best,
bulmers

Giga
20-02-2010, 10:28 AM
other problem could be a grounding issue between devices if the distortion is a humming noise? You can easily check this when you connect all devices to non grounded socket or if you are using cable TV disconnect the distribution TV coax cable from your TV.

bulmers
20-02-2010, 01:25 PM
Could anyone recommend one of these?

_http://www.lindy.co.uk/spdif-digital-to-analogue-stereo-audio-converter/70408.html