PDA

View Full Version : Azbox Elite Wifi Usb module

killerno
03-03-2010, 04:26 PM
Hi there,

i couldn`t find a proper topic for me problem.I would like to install an Usb Wifi Module for me Elite box.Witch Usb sticks are working with the box?How can i install it?Is it working good?If somebody has experience with it please write me a little guide :)
Thanks!

03-03-2010, 05:17 PM
I'm sorry I cannot help you but I too would like some info on this. I tried for ages last night to connect my Elite to my home wireless network using an Actiontec USB Wireless Adapter.

It could not even detect the SSID and the wifi settings were not saved and had to be re-entered each time I attempted connection. The USB adapter connects fine to the wireless router when used on a PC in the same room as the Elite, so I do not think it is simply a signal strength problem.

Conversly when I swopped to a RJ45 connected wireless bridge - it connected straight away. The problem for me is I use this bridge on another device and have the USB Adapter spare. Unless I can get the USB Adapter to work it seems I'll have to buy another wireless bridge.

denton
03-03-2010, 07:48 PM
I don't think a wireless dongle will cut it - you need a WAP (wireless access point).
I use a Plexus, which was a pig to set-up - you configure it by plugging it into your Laptop ethernet, IIRC).
Anyway once set-up with your user and security settings, it's simply a case of wiring it into your Elite ethernet port and it connects every time (in Elite set > wired ).
I used this on three receivers now and bingo! works first time, every time.

HTH
Denton
AZBox Elite, now mothballed

ManikM
03-03-2010, 08:08 PM
i would imagine a wireless "bridge" is needed, i used to use one on my old XBOX (not 360) to get it on the network.

_http://www.amazon.com/Zoom-Wireless-G-Model-Gaming-Adapter/dp/B000BUFCMK

03-03-2010, 08:55 PM
Yes, a wireless bridge certainly works. That is what I'm using ATM.

However, the original poster and myself would like to know which USB wireless adapters will work and if so, how to set it up correctly? It is stated that they will work but I've not seen any confirmation of this and all my tests indicated that it wouldn't work.

Can anyone confirm that they have a wireless USB Adapter working with the Elite?

USB wireless dongles are a fraction of the price of a wireless bridge and do not require a separate power supply.

killerno
04-03-2010, 11:34 AM
This plugin is for fans with Wi-Fi Azbox thinking elite, who want only occasionally connect to the network.

1. You can download from a list of the best wireless drivers, perform various tests and connect to the wireless network, all with the remote PC is needed only for one-time configuration.

2. Two new drivers for rt73 sticks with zd1211-to-chip and chip available, both with WEP/WPA/WPA2.

3. Scan function to see not only access points, but also other wireless clients, because the drivers control the monitor mode.

One can also do everything via a telnet connection from a PC, but herewith it is more convenient, quick time to play around in a commercial break something.
At least one of the internal driver (RT2870) for Azbox premium can be placed in the monitor mode. Whether the scan but it works, I can not test.

The installation of the plugin requires approximately 80k, wlanmoni.zip (holger.heit, 24.5 kB - 0 downloads)

to the driver rt73_m (370k) and zd1211 (390k), driver.zip (holger.heit, 305.3 kB - 0 downloads)

is a compatible with the zd1211 wpa_supplicant with EAP support at about 350k,
to scan the program about airmon 50k (a defused airodump). progs.zip (holger.heit, 153.7 kB - 0 downloads)

Who's right stick and wants to try everything, even time takes about 1 MB on a box, and can therefore be set in the configuration file, a path to drivers and additional programs. In my case a USB memory stick is connected to wlan with a directory from the path / DATA/usb1/sda1/wlan is.

Install the plugin as usual USB or / tmp.
Then an ftp connection between PC and azbox in the configuration file / PLUGINS / WLANmonitor / wlanmoni.cfg adjust the path and copy unzipped drivers and programs on this path. Now check whether the programs wpa_supplicant airmon and after unpacking and copying are still feasible, and finally
- Adjust for WFP in the configuration file entry KEY, the hidden SSID SSID in addition to the entry,
- Customize with rt73 and WPA/WPA2 PSK entry in the configuration file,
- For the zd1211 and WPA/WPA2 files userscript0.sh (path to wpa_supplicant) and adjust wpa1.conf (ssid and psk).
Windows users can do very well with winscp, as well as an appropriate editor is included.

Within the plug-in, one moves up down with the arrow keys / or the red / blue function key to move between tabs, selection of options with the arrow keys left / right, do something with OK button and exit with EXIT button. A short manual wlanmoni.rtf is contained in wlanmoni.zip.

To test a level_one WNC_0301 V3 (rt73 chip was from ralink) and a fiber line WL410U (zd1211 chip used by ZyDAS).
There are many Wi-sticks with the ZyDAS chips, which have excellent reception characteristics, much better than ralink.

The program is not guaranteed accurate, but perhaps useful for others.

tx0
04-03-2010, 11:39 AM
USB WiFi should work if one will compile their drivers into kernel or make a kernel module. You can look at Linux how-to.

slegs
04-03-2010, 12:25 PM
Homeplugs are a much better solution. The cost of 200mbit homeplugs has fallen hugely in the last 6 months.

ManikM
04-03-2010, 09:09 PM
Homeplugs are a much better solution. The cost of 200mbit homeplugs has fallen hugely in the last 6 months.

good point, but not what the op is asking i guess.