PDA

View Full Version : I'm really not liking my Azbox

stevie1961
12-03-2010, 05:52 PM
I thought I'd start this thread to go alongside the thread "I'm really liking my Azbox". I'm doing this because there are some posters that seem to think that the box is perfect, so I thought I'd list the reasons why the box is far from perfect. We can then see the correct facts.

If I've missed some out, then please add them to the list

Inabillity to run Cccam server
Cccam client clears channels only sometimes
Mbox server only clears channels sometimes
HD picture quality poor
SD picture quality poor
slow channel change times
no working EPG
slow navigating through menus
network speed limited to 3mb/s when box is switched off
network speed limited to 786 kb/s when box is switched on
Browser not working
Email client not working
no 1080p DTS working
subtitles showing on mkv's even though they are switched off in the menu

Other things I do not like.

Opensats policy on firmware updates
Opensats faliure to come clean on promised features ( which were proved untrue )
It takes hours to transfer 1 movie to the hard drive, and then they dont play without stuttering
no proper channel editing
you can only have 1 IP channel
no flash available for browser
no transponder list for DVB-C unless you live in Germany or Brazil

This list is proof that this box is not perfect. I have had mine since February 2009 and back then, the firmware was very buggy and some features just did'nt work.

In March 2010, guess what?, they still dont work!!!! and even worse now.

albaki77
12-03-2010, 06:12 PM

HD picture quality poor
SD picture quality poor

I have not had a problem with any of the above on a 50' panasonic:D

The box is not perfect but it does what i bought it for 'Sat afternoon footy and 422' also running CATV aswell.Kids also like the youtube feature
Multicas works well for me also(CS Client)&CATV

Having said that i agree with you about opensat:respect-055:

Regards

A

alcatel
12-03-2010, 06:16 PM
i am a azbox owner for almost a year now and i can agree with you.

i bought the box because it has the same chipset as a popcornhour and other famous mediaplayers.
i thought it would work the same and use it as a satellite/cable receiver at the same time.

I'm pretty pleased with Multicas,i can watch all my channels.but much stuff don't work as mentioned above.

The latest firmware is a real slap in the face,not even avi+srt don't work properly!

If i didn't needed the Cable part,i already bought another dual tuner box.

the firmware updates are getting rediculous.i wouldn't advice anybody buying this crappy box.

stevie1961
12-03-2010, 06:20 PM
There are features that I like about this box as you have mentioned.

The HD channels though are too bright and seem to have a film on them. I'm not lucky enough to have a 50" plasma, just a panny 42". If I switch from my Sly box to the Azbox, you can clearly see the difference.

Once the network limitations are lifted, If they can be, then most other problems will be sorted I think.

muki 74
12-03-2010, 06:24 PM
Azbox is perfect for me!

albaki77
12-03-2010, 06:24 PM
Without opening the Dreambox v AZbox debate again i looked at buying a DM 8000hd had it been say £500 or under i may have gone for that but £850 is over the top for me for what i use it for so i went for the AZ Premium.
A quick question to anyone who went for the DM8000 is it worth £850 even if it is twice as good it is 3x the price:hurray:

Regards

A:sifone:

albaki77
12-03-2010, 06:39 PM
I thought I'd start this thread to go alongside the thread "I'm really liking my Azbox". I'm doing this because there are some posters that seem to think that the box is perfect, so I thought I'd list the reasons why the box is far from perfect. We can then see the correct facts.

If I've missed some out, then please add them to the list

Cccam client clears channels only sometimes
Mbox server only clears channels sometimes
HD picture quality poor
SD picture quality poor
slow channel change times
no working EPG
slow navigating through menus
network speed limited to 3mb/s when box is switched off
network speed limited to 786 kb/s when box is switched on
Browser not working
Email client not working
no 1080p DTS working
subtitles showing on mkv's even though they are switched off in the menu

Other things I do not like.

Opensats policy on firmware updates
Opensats faliure to come clean on promised features ( which were proved untrue )
It takes hours to transfer 1 movie to the hard drive, and then they dont play without stuttering
no proper channel editing
you can only have 1 IP channel
no flash available for browser
no transponder list for DVB-C unless you live in Germany or Brazil

This list is proof that this box is not perfect. I have had mine since February 2009 and back then, the firmware was very buggy and some features just did'nt work.

In March 2010, guess what?, they still dont work!!!! and even worse now.

@stevie1961
How many of you issues would be resolved & how powerful do you think the AZ would be if it was 100% opensource?:smash:

Regards

A

Quailman
12-03-2010, 06:41 PM
My 2 cents worth.

As you said yes the DM8000 is expensive, but as you can see from here there have only been a few people with problems and DM have replaced there boxes if it has turn out to be a hardware problem.

The box does everything I want so in the end I can justify spending the money.

albaki77
12-03-2010, 06:50 PM
My 2 cents worth.

As you said yes the DM8000 is expensive, but as you can see from here there have only been a few people with problems and DM have replaced there boxes if it has turn out to be a hardware problem.

The box does everything I want so in the end I can justify spending the money.

I bet you would not be saying that if the DM was closed source and opensat was developing the software:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

12-03-2010, 06:51 PM

I've got CCcam_2.1.4 working as a server on my Azbox (using sbox as a card reader). Seems to work fine with ECM latency of aroung 120ms (compared to the same card in my dreambox using CCcam_2.1.4 directly, with a latency of around 100ms)

stevie1961
12-03-2010, 06:59 PM
Open source would be very adventagous for the Azbox, but its the drivers that are the main problem, and they wont be released to opensource. It would be better than amateur programmers, working on modular firmware. Every other box can do multitasking such as record TV while watching a movie, these boxes run on Enigma1 and 2. They are a pain to set up nfs sharing, but when set up work brilliantly, but cannot do MKV's

My £49 Dreambox 500s can do that on Enigma 1, as well as having both server and client working Cccam. Add in having 2 EMU's working at the same time.

There is no doubt that the Sigma chip is way better than the chips in the Dreamboxes, but my fear is that the problems are hardware errors at the design stage on the motherboard.

If the problems are down to the drivers, then it is Sigma themselves that are the problem.

If I did'nt think that this box would be up to the job, then I would'nt have bought it. The fiasco with the software is the only thing letting it down.

stevie1961
12-03-2010, 07:01 PM
I've got CCcam_2.1.4 working as a server on my Azbox (using sbox as a card reader). Seems to work fine with ECM latency of aroung 120ms (compared to the same card in my dreambox using CCcam_2.1.4 directly, with a latency of around 100ms)

How? A little more info please

albaki77
12-03-2010, 07:02 PM
As part of the 100% open source i was meaning the full sigma drivers,datasheet etc.:sifone:

12-03-2010, 07:19 PM
@stevie1961
There is bundle here with sbox and CCcam_2.1.3.

_http://www.nabilosat.info/forum/showthread.php?83275-Sbox-0.0.4.7-CCcam-2.1.3-for-******-HD

I changed the CCcam file to 2.1.4 and entered my personal settings in the cfg files and the server mode worked first time. I had a bit of trouble getting the local card used by AZbox but got there in the end.

roy71
12-03-2010, 07:49 PM
I will stand in the line who are happy with AZBIX. Yes the box has som bugs, and pore picture-quality..(compared to IPBOX)...but it´s ver stabile for regular use.
As in the real life...the unhappy is allways louder than the happy people.
In the end this box will be the ultimate popcorn-satbox...I hope

FME_fta
12-03-2010, 10:13 PM
I don't agree with the poor picture quality, for me in SD or HD is very good.
And HD image is not too bright on my TV, it can have something to do with some incompatibility between the TV and HDMI protocol used by azbox, the same way that azbox had sound problems and no HDMI signal on some TVs.

You should also compare the image quality at some distance, not at the front of the TV.
azbox might implement some noise in the picture, but this noise at some distance will actually be detail instead of a more blurry picture.

I also have on my TV the HDMI input configured with a very low (zero actually) definition level, so the TV will not sharp the picture.
The higher the HDMI output resolution the more noise the image will have and less blurry it will be.

Some good quality SD channels can fool me to think its in HD on my TV with azbox.
Although I have to say that I have a small TV (22").

As I said before, try to compare the picture quality at some distance and lower the definition level on the TV.

EDIT: When I said changing the definition level on TV, I meant to say the sharpness level.

bpmurray
12-03-2010, 11:31 PM
The sigma drivers are closed source, and that's OK since the only thing they have to link to is the kernel. The big problem is that the AZBox is not adhering to the requirements of the GPL and LGPL, which requires that the sources be made available. I've searched all over and can't find AZBox's GPL statement, nor where the source can be downloaded.

So, here's the solution

Obey the GPL requirements and make the GPL'ed parts of the product available
The expert developers on this site (and others) will happily contribute to the product

The AZBox hardware is what generates income for OpenSat, not the OS - firmware development is a cost. Give the community the OS, and sell many, many more boxes while saving money on software development.

freshmaker
13-03-2010, 01:23 AM
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs487.ash1/26641_1398365476075_1140391276_11 71184_6059669_n.jpg

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs487.ash1/26641_1398365436074_1140391276_11 71183_2149230_n.jpg
HD Picture is great

Robertus78
13-03-2010, 02:21 AM
I'm bashing, you're barhing, we are bashing .................

For me the Azbox is the Mercedes of the CLOSED source receivers...

1080P....Mediacentre .... and I can watch telly Perfect !

the illuminati
13-03-2010, 05:17 AM
i have tried all the beta firmwares on this box and went back to 3877 as it has
the best pictre quality on both SD and HD
i only use the box as a sat receiver so it does what i want to watch tv
i don t realy care about the add ons as they all have bugs thats why i use my
DM when i want to fool around

123soleil
13-03-2010, 08:20 AM
The HD channels though are too bright and seem to have a film on them. I'm not lucky enough to have a 50" plasma, just a panny 42". If I switch from my Sly box to the Azbox, you can clearly see the difference.

So when you say that the HD quality is poor, you just mean too bright or are there other quality issues? Because it seems to me that you could just adjust the brightness setting on your TV... (on most TVs, several brightness levels can be stored so you would)

albaki77
13-03-2010, 08:42 AM
The sigma drivers are closed source, and that's OK since the only thing they have to link to is the kernel. The big problem is that the AZBox is not adhering to the requirements of the GPL and LGPL, which requires that the sources be made available. I've searched all over and can't find AZBox's GPL statement, nor where the source can be downloaded.

So, here's the solution

Obey the GPL requirements and make the GPL'ed parts of the product available
The expert developers on this site (and others) will happily contribute to the product

The AZBox hardware is what generates income for OpenSat, not the OS - firmware development is a cost. Give the community the OS, and sell many, many more boxes while saving money on software development.

I see your point but as i can programme assembly language for certain processors it is always the best solution to go 'Down to the Metal'so to speak.
I is a bit like being a car mechanic trying to fine tune a new model of car that is not running as it should and being allowed to lift the bonnet.:respect-039:

Regards

A:sifone: