PDA

View Full Version : Wireless & Cables cat5e streaming

rruunneerr
14-03-2010, 10:52 PM
Hi all,

hopefully somebody can understand the following issue I have:

When I stream from my DM800 through my local network using Cat5e cable it streams ok for about 30secs then freezes slightly and a strange noise and then continues and repeats. This is on all channels and does when viewing through Dreambox control/vlc and when streaming to the net.

When performing the same of wireless there is no such issues, it works fawlesly.

How can this be as cat5e is 100mb/s and wireless is not as fast.

Any suggestions?

Kev.

tommyturnip
15-03-2010, 01:04 AM
Check to see if your NIC is set to Auto-Negotiation, if so try fixing it at 100mbps. Sometimes NICs will continually re-negotiate if they believe the connection is not stable. Have you changed your cable? ensure it has no severe bends in it.

Giga
15-03-2010, 08:11 AM
issues with subnet(s), router firewall, cable fault, ... As you said yourself cable should be faster. are you using fixed IP's? range from device to device should be in the same range and use the same subnet mask to avoid eventually problems:
Target: 192.168.1.2, Source: 192.168.1.3 both subnet mask 255.255.255.0
check you have the router wired and wifi security rules set to allow the streaming from and to. You have all devices on full duplex 100 Mbps/1 Gbps?

ian
15-03-2010, 10:29 AM
what tommyturnip said it a good tip,but i would have said make sure your NIC was the other way around.ie set at auto negotiation rather than 100mb/s full duplex because when set at 100mb/s full duplex,if for some reason that speed cannot be supplied,then it will keep disconnecting to try and obtain that speed.so try both and see which works best for you.some NICs can also be set at 1000mb/s.

another thing to check is that the box itself is set to auto negotiation or 100mb/s full duplex(which ever works best for you)and not set at 10mb/s as some are when they come out of the factory.if this is the case you will never stream anything sucessfully.so telnet into your box and check this or if you prefer use hyperterminal(probably safer)
and if incorrect then change it.Ian.

rruunneerr
15-03-2010, 02:21 PM
Hi all,

many thanks for your replies.

Ian,

can you explain in a little detail how I can check/adjust the NIC speed for a DM800?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Kev.

rruunneerr
16-03-2010, 02:25 PM
All seems to stream ok now through my lan cable, it must of been just an off day, most likely the cable.

Anyway I was able to stream BBC HD ok, Sky1 HD ok, but couldn't get any of the sky sports HD channels to stream smoothly, why would there be a difference, bitrates?

Thanks for all your help/suggestions.

Kev.