PDA

View Full Version : Proxy usage with azbox -> Really important for security, please help !

buyukbang
22-03-2010, 08:11 AM
Hi all,

I asked this before at the official Azbox forum but nobody answered me. I need to use a proxy (SOCKS5) with my Azbox HD Premium for security (for anonymity - to hide my IP). I couldn't found anything about proxy usage with Azbox. Since this is a unix based machine, I think there should be some configuration or software.

The only solution that I can imagine is using wingate on my PC and setting my PC IP address as gateway IP in Azbox network settings. But this solution requires my PC always working

1- Is there any configuration that I can do to use a socsk5 proxy with my Azbox?

2- Is there any wingate like software that works directly on Azbox (not requiring a PC as a server)? May be there is a IPKG or debian package that works on Azbox which can direct all network trafic to a socks proxy?

3- Is there any other workaraound?

Regards...

tx0
22-03-2010, 09:57 AM
Have no experience with socks - guess its an old skool way =)
I think there is an alternative - tor client. try to install it with ipkg.
also check other packages with ipkg list. should be something

buyukbang
22-03-2010, 11:05 AM
tx0, thanks for your reply, this was the first response that I received about proxy usage @ Azbox for weeks :)

I need a proxy for using it mainly with CAM servers which is a little dangerous to use in my country. So speed is very very important. AFAIK from PC, tor gives slow or unstable connection speed. So i'm thinking to buy a fast Socks5 proxy service.

I found the word "SOCKS" in several IPKG package descriptions :

http://www.medialounge.ru/ipkg/azbox/stable//Packages

But have no idea about them? The package named "connect" seems simple but works for only one port as far as I understand. There are some other SOCKS libraries and server modules in IPKG library, too.

Any experience shared with us will be appreciated....

tx0
22-03-2010, 12:20 PM
If I face such problem would rather use separate router with PPTP.
There is a nice guide on PPTP tunneling on dd-wrt dot com.

Maybe some package will work, may be not. I've tried to install ppp on az
but it fails with sigfault. So there is no warranty if you use one on those.

noway
22-03-2010, 02:38 PM
temporary try to change the password for ur box

tx0
23-03-2010, 12:49 AM
just found this, there is openvpn for azbox, it was compiled by chemstar,
look for nabilo forum its there.
HOWTO is here

hxxp://www.networkedmediatank.com/wiki/index.php/Openvpn

buyukbang
23-03-2010, 07:55 AM
Thanks for the info, really interesting. VPN on azbox!

But from my understanding, this application targets to create a VPN tunnel to secure network. But I cannot use this to access CAM servers through the internet?

just found this, there is openvpn for azbox, it was compiled by chemstar,
look for nabilo forum its there.
HOWTO is here

hxxp://www.networkedmediatank.com/wiki/index.php/Openvpn

feedme
25-03-2010, 08:24 PM
From purely technical point , you can put your home network behind proxy by using proxy settings of an ADSL modem

:puke: the reason why you ask.

:18::iamwithstupid:

buyukbang
25-03-2010, 10:43 PM
My ADSL modem does not support SOCKS proxies
and I don't want to put all my network behind a proxy (PC, laptop). I just want to use proxy with my Azbox. That's why I'm looking for a solution on Azbox.

From purely technical point , you can put your home network behind proxy by using proxy settings of an ADSL modem

:puke: the reason why you ask.

:18::iamwithstupid: