PDA

View Full Version : ANALOG audio question

13x025
03-04-2010, 02:45 PM
I don't know if anybody else besides me connects this receiver to an analog stereo amplifier, but what I noticed is quite disturbing!
The sound through the analog white/red RCA jacks is MONO!
Yes, I double checked it! The sound is MONO in all AzBOX's modules... TV, YouTUBE, even the media player too.

The song 21 Guns from Green Day begins with stereo separated guitar sounds. I tried to play this song in the Youtube player module ( hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r00ikilDxW4&feature=fvst ) and it is mono!
I tried the same song in various formats (mp3, flac,..) in the Music player and it is mono there too...

Important: This happens ONLY with the analog (supposed to be stereo) white/red RCA jacks! I'm not talking about the HDMI or the optical output!

I tried various setups under the Audio menu without success.

I unplugged my DVD player from the amplifier and connected the AzBox to the same input... but, again, no stereo sound there...

I am using the latest fimware now.
In the past days I downgraded the unit to 0.9.4348 - trying every single firmware in between... and again... nothing. Every fw gives mono analog sound...

Has anyone else noticed this...?

ps: My amplifier is a Pioneer A-307R.

bulmers
03-04-2010, 03:29 PM
I connected it once to an analog amp and almost got sick because of the audio distortion. I didnt listen long enough to notice only mono sound!

You could use the optical out connection and use a DAC.

https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?t=127422

bulmers
03-04-2010, 04:09 PM
I cant get to my AZBox untill after 6pm. So Ive made this track for you to test.
Its 60 seconds of white noise :

10sec Right channel
10sec Left channel
10sec Right channel
10sec Left channel
10sec Right channel
10sec Left channel

bulmers
03-04-2010, 06:28 PM
Just got home and checked my azbox. The output is NOT in stereo. When I play the above file; I get white noise through both outputs L & R at the same time !!!!! I thought that the audio from a stereo output should be in stereo.

This has to be a joke opensat?

13x025
03-04-2010, 06:51 PM
All right!
This white-noise file of yours cleared up the confusion...
I can _detect_ the difference in the left or right channels, but it is hardly noticeable...! To put it in other words the stereo separation is simply awful! That's why everything seemed mono to me!

This DA converter is really a piece of sh*t!

When I listen to your file on a computer, with headphones, the channels are clearly separated (a 100%), i.e. when the right channel plays, the left is totally silent!
On the other hand, the AzBox separates the channels only by - let's say - 10%, thus the separation is hardly noticeable! :-(

...so it is clear now... in order to get a proper stereophonic sound I have to buy a digital A/V receiver... or the above mentioned DAC...

Thanks again!

Cheers!