PDA

View Full Version : New surround sound system

bulmers
11-04-2010, 01:22 AM
Ive decided to install my first surround sound system. Ive decided on a Denon AVR-1910 amp and Q Acoustics 2000 5.1 cinema pack speakers. I have an azbox premium and was wondering how does the azbox perform with sending the various 5.1 sound systems to an AV amp through the HDMI or the optical out.

Does anyone here have any experience with this kind of setup with the azbox? I suppose one of my main concerns would be how well our azbox does with bluray mkvs with 5.1 surround sound.

All the best,
bulmers

adrray1974
11-04-2010, 06:47 AM
Ive decided to install my first surround sound system. Ive decided on a Denon AVR-1910 amp and Q Acoustics 2000 5.1 cinema pack speakers. I have an azbox premium and was wondering how does the azbox perform with sending the various 5.1 sound systems to an AV amp through the HDMI or the optical out.

Does anyone here have any experience with this kind of setup with the azbox? I suppose one of my main concerns would be how well our azbox does with bluray mkvs with 5.1 surround sound.

All the best,
bulmers

Hi mate, i have a Kenwood AV Amp, has 2 x HDMI inputs, (also has others both audio and video) has 1 x HDMI output.

Have PS3 and Azbox running into using HDMI cable only, set the audio of your azbox, and any other systems to RAW, this then lets the Amp do all the work.

Have no problems with my setup, picks up all the 5.1 channels on HD, also plays the DTS from Blueray files, encoded .mkv

As a media player, the AZbox is one of the best i have come accross for Video support, pretty much handles 99% of the stuff i chuck at it, however, there are the odd .avi files it wont play, and think thats purely down to the type of encoding that has been used.

Hope that helps mate.

Adi

gray198
11-04-2010, 02:16 PM
Bulmers,

I have got the same setup with my Spiderbox. Brilliant

gray

xanadu
11-04-2010, 02:24 PM
Azbox does not like to stream 720p/1080p DTS movies.

Some people are using scripts to improve the performance, although I have not tried this.

I have mainly been using my PS3 to stream movies due to the Azbox problems.

bulmers
11-04-2010, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the info guys :)

@ xanadu
When yo say "Azbox does not like to stream 720p/1080p DTS movies."
Is this problem only when sending across a network? Ive got an internal hdd where I will be playing my movies from. So will this problem effect me?

@ gray198
These amps are quite big, have you got much ventilation space around your amp? I think I may have a problem fitting it in with all my other gear and having enough ventilation space around the amp. I may have to install some fans and drop the height of a shelf.

luky
11-04-2010, 05:36 PM
azbox has problem with playing hd mkv movies, especially with dts sound. New firmwares suffer from sound srops, older one with movie/sound synchronization

xanadu
11-04-2010, 06:11 PM
@bulmers

I think Axbox is much the same either on internal drive or streamed due to it's current imposed bandwidth restrictions.

If you convert movies to AC3 sound then you should be ok.

gray198
11-04-2010, 07:03 PM
bulmers,
yes they are quite big and also the centre speaker on the sound system is big.I had to get a new stand. Don,t have a lot of room round it but is ok I think as long as air can circulate will be ok.

Gray

bulmers
11-04-2010, 08:46 PM
Thanks lads.
Amp size is 434mm wide and 171mm high. The current space I have for it is 460mm wide and 200mm high; so that only leaves 13mm of ventilation space at each side and 29mm on top. Maybe not enough space :(

gray198
12-04-2010, 06:58 PM
Bulmers,

I do not have as much height clearance as that,but my TV stand is open sided so that helps

regards gray