PDA

View Full Version : What to replace a Sky HD box with?

ictc
13-04-2010, 03:43 PM
I have a Thompson Sky HD box that is past its sell by date. Changed the Caps and HDD.
What I would like to know is what HD capable box can I replace it with and use the white card with auto updating? I am only interested in BBC and ITV HD as I don't subscribe to the HD pack, just the family pack.

Thanks.
:respect-048:

echelon
13-04-2010, 03:56 PM
bbc and itv dont need any card at all !!

the family pack and c4HD would need a card , so I would assume you should look at a dm800HD , dm8000HD , dm500HD , vu+duo or a vu+solo

Midnight R
13-04-2010, 05:44 PM
Depends what you are looking for but if you just want to use your card why not look for a Pace Sky HD STB. For me they have the best PQ of any of the Sky boxes and usually only cost about £90 on ****.

If you're looking for Linux then maybe go for any of the DM's or Vuo+ but dont expect the PQ to be as good as the Pace or the Thompson in its day. Of course they'll do a whole lot more though :sifone:

Almost forgot my own box the Icecrypt will read the card via mcas but not sure it will update? This box has a great PQ and is linux, still needs a bit of devdlopment though to do everything.

xanadu
13-04-2010, 06:54 PM
Get a Humax HDR Freesat PVR, or a Technisat Freesat HD receiver.

Both great if you only want BBC/ITV and the other free channels.

*EDIT*
Just noticed you do still subscribe to Skeye, so ignore the above. :D

simon 2003
13-04-2010, 08:11 PM
shame my thommy has a new lease of life since i changed the caps mind you about 6 were leaking,but alternatively DM800HD is a cracking little reciever
note:- 60 quid sky will give you a replacement with 3 mths warranty

ictc
16-04-2010, 03:12 PM
Thanks for all the information. Decided to stick with a Sky box. Just picked up a Pace off a well known auction site. Hope it works! Seems the cheapest option

Thanks.