PDA

View Full Version : Connecting Dreambox DM500HD to the internet?

Londoner
20-04-2010, 06:10 PM
Hi Guys,

A newbie here, so sorry in advance if I have posted this in the wrong section.

Is it possible to connect the Dbox via a power over ethernet device to the internet? Is it easy to connect?

What about a wifi dongle? Not sure if this can be done due to the Dbox Dm500HD having a mini usb port only I think.

The reason for all this is that I plan to purchase the above box but using an ethernet cable to connect to the box will be too much hard work as I would need a huge ethernet cable and would get too messy.

Thanks in advance.

K.

sonic1
20-04-2010, 06:33 PM
Homeplugs are an option for you and they work perfectly.

The best option is what I did which was to run cat5 around the house but it takes a lot if time and effort.

Londoner
20-04-2010, 06:37 PM
Thank Sonic, appreciate your assistance. :)

I think I will go with a 'homeplug' Sorry for being dumb, as I am new to all this.

Could you please reccommend one? one I could just pick up from PC world or buy online.

Cheers

Londoner
20-04-2010, 06:39 PM
Would a NETGEAR XAV101 Powerline AV Ethernet Adapter be suitable?

paul01609
20-04-2010, 06:41 PM
just make shure they come in a pair some are just single,carnt fault them very good but i think you need to check that they will be on the same ring main i beleave

paul01609
20-04-2010, 06:44 PM
_http://www.ebuyer.com/cat/Wired/subcat/Homeplug-Adapters_ should be cheaper than pc world and can order up till 11pm for next day delivery

Londoner
20-04-2010, 06:46 PM
just make shure they come in a pair some are just single,carnt fault them very good but i think you need to check that they will be on the same ring main i beleave

Thanks Paul.

The Netgear XAV101 Powerline AV Ethernet Adapter allows you to create an ultra-fast network connection in whatever room of your house is in need of one.

Just connect one Netgear XAV101 adapter to your router and hook up a second adapter to your Ethernet-enabled device for instant plug-and-play connectivity. With transfer speeds of up to 200Mbps, this adapter is ideal for tasks requiring a lot of bandwidth, such as HD video streaming.

The safe and secure XAV101 comes equipped with 128-bit AES data encryption and LED status indicators to inform you of the maximum data rate. It connects easily to PCs, game consoles, network storage devices, print servers, and Ethernet-enabled TVs,

The Netgear XAV101 Powerline AV Ethernet Adapter gives you a high-speed network to suit your demanding online activities!
Technical specifications Characteristics Includes 1 x XAV101 Powerline AV Ethernet Adapter
Turn any electrical power outlet into a high speed Internet and home network connection
Easily connect TiVo®, Slingbox™, game consoles, or TVs
Delivers fast 200 Mbps speed
Fast enough to stream HD video
Plug and play: just plug into a wall outlet, no setup required
Connect a desktop, notebook PC, gaming console, NETGEAR ReadyNAS™, Slingbox™, a DVR or NETGEAR Print Server (PS121)
128-bit AES data encryption ensures privacy and security
HomePlug AV compatible

Would I need to buy 2 of these? or just the one? One costs £69.99!

Londoner
20-04-2010, 06:49 PM
_http://www.ebuyer.com/cat/Wired/subcat/Homeplug-Adapters_ should be cheaper than pc world and can order up till 11pm for next day delivery

Thanks Paul, appreciate your help.

Is easy to set up? a simple plug and play?

paul01609
20-04-2010, 06:54 PM
just plug in just check make shure it says pair

echelon
20-04-2010, 06:59 PM
goldwafers may have them for sale now

or e bay , ebuyer , pcworld , computer shops and fairs etc

as stated . you need a pair and preferably on the same ring main , one near the router and the other near the box

Londoner
20-04-2010, 07:01 PM
just plug in just check make shure it says pair

Cool, will do, will it make any difference of make and model of the pair to get HD channels? One cheap model that comes in a pair for £34.98 says its only good for SD TV not sure if its suitable for HDTV channels.

Sorry to ask many questions.

Londoner
20-04-2010, 07:03 PM
goldwafers may have them for sale now

or e bay , ebuyer , pcworld , computer shops and fairs etc

as stated . you need a pair and preferably on the same ring main , one near the router and the other near the box

Pref on the same ring main? what does that mean mate?

Sorry!

paul01609
20-04-2010, 07:04 PM
i would of thought its just for the streaming hd the faster ones,if its just internet connection i would of thought the cheaper ones would do you

Londoner
20-04-2010, 07:10 PM
i would of thought its just for the streaming hd the faster ones,if its just internet connection i would of thought the cheaper ones would do you

Thanks Paul.

So all I need to do is put one adapter into my Router with an ethernet cable, and the second adapter into the dreambox with another ethernet cable?

You guys have been a great help!!!!!:bravo-009:

echelon
20-04-2010, 07:30 PM
sockets are wired on a ring main , in a ring around your house

ideally both sockets want to be on the same circuit , meaning the one fuse or circuit breaker in the fuse box controls both of the 2 sockets being used ( if you tripped the breaker you would want both sockets to fail at the same time , meaning they are physically connected together )

this connection is to allow your box to connect to the router and then to the internet

the channels you are receiving have no bearing on the internet connection , as they come from your dish and lnb ( from the satellite )

so this homeplug system is purely an internet connection via your router , nothing else ( replacing a direct hard wired ethernet cable connection )

Thanks Paul.

So all I need to do is put one adapter into my Router with an ethernet cable, and the second adapter into the dreambox with another ethernet cable?

You guys have been a great help!!!!!:bravo-009:

yes

Londoner
20-04-2010, 07:34 PM
Thank you, a great help!

So I take it they wont work if they are not on the same ring socket?

sonic1
20-04-2010, 07:43 PM
Thank you, a great help!

They will work but what echelon is saying is they are better protected if they are on the same ring.

Simple check is if yo have a modern house then all sockets will be on the same ring covered by one main fuse.

Your lighting would also be the same.

echelon
20-04-2010, 07:47 PM
Thank you, a great help!

I have no idea if that is true or false

the point is that you are "supposed" to use them on the same circuit

if they are on different circuits and work ok then thats fine

if they work on the same circuit but not on separate circuits then the fusebox would be blocking the transfer of signals , hence the reason for needing to be on the same circuit and no split.

a lot of houses will have 2 lighting circuits and 1 socket circuit , but in bigger installations it can be split into say 1 each upstairs and 1 each downstairs

modern fuseboxes can have 6 or 8 breakers in them meaning there are various circuits in the house

Londoner
20-04-2010, 08:17 PM
Ok I get it now, I will have to test it out. Not getting the DM500HD box until July, so just doing my preparations now and getting ready.

I think I will go with the Extra Value 200Mbps Pass-through Powerline Adapter - Twin Pack at £59.99.
Bit more powerfull and one of the reviews a bloke stated he was on three different rings and had no problems or cut outs.

You guys have a been a great help, cant thank you enough!

echelon
20-04-2010, 08:25 PM
Ok I get it now, I will have to test it out. Not getting the DM500HD box until July, so just doing my preparations now and getting ready.

I think I will go with the Extra Value 200Mbps Pass-through Powerline Adapter - Twin Pack at £59.99.
Bit more powerfull and one of the reviews a bloke stated he was on three different rings and had no problems or cut outs.

You guys have a been a great help, cant thank you enough!

sounds good to me

and if you really want to test that ring , plug a lamp into each chosen socket and switch it on

now trip the circuit breaker ( or pull the fuse ) , and both the lamps will go out if they are on the same circuit ( same ring main ) , and will both come back on when you reset the circuit breaker

Londoner
20-04-2010, 08:37 PM
sounds good to me

and if you really want to test that ring , plug a lamp into each chosen socket and switch it on

now trip the circuit breaker ( or pull the fuse ) , and both the lamps will go out if they are on the same circuit ( same ring main ) , and will both come back on when you reset the circuit breaker

Thanks mate!:respect-053:

Will do that, and see, hope it's all ok, we got a semi det house, so it could be all over the place! lol...

jimrare
22-04-2010, 09:20 PM
I think I will go with the Extra Value 200Mbps Pass-through Powerline AdapterJust to remind you that the dm500hd has a 100Mbps ethernet adapter which means that 200Mbps are more than enough. 85Mbps plugs will do the job. Think that a usual hd movie reaches around 25-30Mbps.

Londoner
23-04-2010, 01:47 AM
Thanks Jim,

I am more worried about the ring main issue, if my sockets are not on the same ring main, I am done for as I am yet to test out if they are, hopefully this weekend ill do the lamp test mentioned here, if it dont work I am in trouble.

No point in buying the adapters if they are not going to work