PDA

View Full Version : MKV playback support on the way

aadham
23-04-2010, 01:24 PM
A new firmware with MKV H.264 1080p support seems to be on the way for the Octagon single/twin-tuner receivers, which I presume will also be available for all Fortis clones.

hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9HZepFC810

ManikM
23-04-2010, 01:44 PM
yeah i saw that too mate!

exciting stuff - this box is constantly evolving.

echelon
23-04-2010, 02:21 PM
thanks for the info

I already ftp divx files to the hdd in mine and play them back to the tv

so mkv support would be a bonus :)

stubs
23-04-2010, 02:37 PM
Good stuff! keep this stuff coming....

echelon, may I ask why you FTP them to the box? Do they not stream very well for you?
I'd like to be able to stream mkv files from my NAS to the icecrypt.

echelon
23-04-2010, 03:17 PM
Good stuff! keep this stuff coming....

echelon, may I ask why you FTP them to the box? Do they not stream very well for you?
I'd like to be able to stream mkv files from my NAS to the icecrypt.

seeing as I have a 500 gig sata drive fitted ( by myself ) then I just transfer to the hdd and play them from the hdd which makes perfect sense to me.

I do not do any streaming of any kind , nor would I want to either , and I dont own or use a NAS

Steve_M
23-04-2010, 05:06 PM
seeing as I have a 500 gig sata drive fitted ( by myself ) then I just transfer to the hdd and play them from the hdd which makes perfect sense to me.

I do not do any streaming of any kind , nor would I want to either , and I dont own or use a NAS

I'm the same as you. I didn't buy the box with an HDD fitted, I had an old 250Gb SATA kicking around so I fitted that myself. I found that ran a bit warm though and I think it caused the box to crash when left on overnight. Now I've bought a 1Tb Samsung T2 EcoGreen which has been highly recommended for upgrading Sky HD boxes and I've found that works great. It works out £30 more expensive than buying a box with the 320Gb fitted and three times as much storage. This will be useful when the box is able to play .mkv files.

I did try recording to my Icy Box NAS but that didn't work too well. I'm going to use the NAS just to backup and programs etc I want to keep.

Tarzan
23-04-2010, 10:53 PM
Have you guys managed to convert the S4000 into a Octagon SF1018 receiver?

stubs
24-04-2010, 09:44 AM
Steve, have you found any problems when archiving recordings from the Icecrypt to your NAS? I tried to do a "copy to device", direct to the NAS and found it was corrupting the files.

Steve_M
24-04-2010, 01:53 PM
Steve, have you found any problems when archiving recordings from the Icecrypt to your NAS? I tried to do a "copy to device", direct to the NAS and found it was corrupting the files.

To be honest the Icy Box is not my favourite bit of kit at the moment. As you found, if you record one HD channel it would record OK but not two. I found this out simply by recording a channel and then pausing the same channel. I found the recording was OK but the paused playback stuttered. When I did the same test using the internal HDD it was fine. I haven't tried recording and then copying that to the NAS. I have copied avi's over to the NAS and played them back with no problem.

Then yesterday something happened to the NAS and it didn't see the disk anymore. I had to reformat the disk. Luckily I'm only playing at the moment so didn't lose anything apart from my confidence with the NAS. In the end I may just take the HDD out of the NAS and fit it into my PC and backup to that. I got the Icy Box cheap so no great loss.

Steve_M
24-04-2010, 02:11 PM
German forum saying that the new firmware (1.08.11) with .mkv support apparently due to be released early next week for the Octagon SF1018. Also contains a number of other bug fixes. Firmware for the Icecrypt should follow shortly after I guess.

Steve_M
30-04-2010, 03:38 PM
New firmware released for the Atevio 7000 and Octagon SF1018.
Sounds as if .mkv support is not very robust but it's a start.

================================= ========
History Release Note

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
- v1.08.16 / 2010. 04. 30 / Build Version : 2962

[Function Added / Improved]
1. WIFI function modified : ssid scan function and simplificated. Monitoring function (Auto setup when re-plug/link)
2. mkv supported. Hangup or not able to play the mkv
- Most of the files are able to play but specific file break while play.
3. Blocking problem if network link disconnected when using the net driver. (Not possible while recording)
4. TS recording / decoding speed. (Break problem when HD decoding / recording)
5. Font size adjustable when using User font.

[Bug fixed]
1. Hangup problem when delete the folder in Play List.
2. Local offset and summer time not support after factory reset.
3. Unicable bug when standby
4. DVB Subtitle - subtitle display size problem on the screen when data is as HD video size.
5. When plugin auto start, USB detect problem if remove the USB then insert again after rebooting the STB with USB inserted.
6. Hangup when move the folder which contains ts file.
7. Not able to process if network drive folder name has space.
8. Channel data deletes when user area format.
9. Hangup when mp3 file play on WIFI WPAPSK mode.
10. time not updating in timer setting menu.
11. Single tuner model : 2 channels(Same TP) recording by timer or EPG support.
12. When only plugin folder is exist in Data Transfer menu, not able to open the firmware box.

[Others]

1. Hungarian Language updated.
2. Russian OSD text revise.

denton
01-05-2010, 10:05 PM
New firmware released for the Atevio 7000 and Octagon SF1018.
Sounds as if .mkv support is not very robust but it's a start.

History Release Note

- v1.08.16 / 2010. 04. 30 / Build Version : 2962

[Function Added / Improved]
1. WIFI function modified : ssid scan function and simplificated. Monitoring function (Auto setup when re-plug/link)
2. mkv supported. Hangup or not able to play the mkv
- Most of the files are able to play but specific file break while play.
3. Blocking problem if network link disconnected when using the net driver. (Not possible while recording)
4. TS recording / decoding speed. (Break problem when HD decoding / recording)
5. Font size adjustable when using User font.

[Bug fixed]
1. Hangup problem when delete the folder in Play List.
2. Local offset and summer time not support after factory reset.
3. Unicable bug when standby
4. DVB Subtitle - subtitle display size problem on the screen when data is as HD video size.
5. When plugin auto start, USB detect problem if remove the USB then insert again after rebooting the STB with USB inserted.
6. Hangup when move the folder which contains ts file.
7. Not able to process if network drive folder name has space.
8. Channel data deletes when user area format.
9. Hangup when mp3 file play on WIFI WPAPSK mode.
10. time not updating in timer setting menu.
11. Single tuner model : 2 channels(Same TP) recording by timer or EPG support.
12. When only plugin folder is exist in Data Transfer menu, not able to open the firmware box.

[Others]

1. Hungarian Language updated.
2. Russian OSD text revise.

I would strongly advise against installing this new firmware (when it comes). I loaded the Atevio version and it's dreadful - Firstly, I only spotted one change, that of different times available in "advert skip". However, the damn firmware can't remember settings after a power down - loses DHCP on/off, subtitles off/German etc. Terrible! Back to the old Firm for me!
Hope this save some of you time and trouble.

Denton

aadham
02-05-2010, 12:16 AM
I would strongly advise against installing this new firmware (when it comes). I loaded the Atevio version and it's dreadful - Firstly, I only spotted one change, that of different times available in "advert skip". However, the damn firmware can't remember settings after a power down - loses DHCP on/off, subtitles off/German etc. Terrible! Back to the old Firm for me!

Denton

I totally agree. I've tried both Atevio's and Octagon's single-tuner version on my box, and dreadful sounds like an understatement.

Tarzan
02-05-2010, 11:51 AM

Denton

Do you have the details on how to change the Icecrypt S4000 to a Octagon 1018 or Atevio 7000 ?

Wouldn't mind trying out one of the E2 firmwares for the above receivers...

steford1
02-05-2010, 12:09 PM
I totally agree. I've tried both Atevio's and Octagon's single-tuner version on my box, and dreadful sounds like an understatement.

Disappointing to hear. Not been that impressed with the last few updates to be honest. Let's hope they see this and release a quick fix.

Midnight R
02-05-2010, 01:40 PM
I thought the last update made things more stable, so for me it was a good move in the right direction.

I've no need for MKV support as I have a HTPC for all that.

All I really need is for the Cams to continue to improve and I'd be a very satisfied punter.

Some alternative skins would also be nice and a 7 day EPG would be the iceing on the cake.

Still even as it is I'm more than happy with this box.

echelon
02-05-2010, 03:25 PM
I thought the last update made things more stable, so for me it was a good move in the right direction.

I've no need for MKV support as I have a HTPC for all that.

All I really need is for the Cams to continue to improve and I'd be a very satisfied punter.

Some alternative skins would also be nice and a 7 day EPG would be the iceing on the cake.

Still even as it is I'm more than happy with this box.

I have to agree here , since the last firmware update this box has been very stable , divx playback excellent , and N line works fine with no dropouts to "scrambled channel"

I too would prefer to see cams improve to the point that you get no C line dropouts saying "scrambled channel"

alternative skins would be nice , 7 day epg would be a bonus , and some facility for checking the ecm when you change channel or press say the info button etc

also be nice if you can have something like cccam info and cccam switch as plugins , so that you can check server details etc , and switch between lines easily

I would much prefer those improvements instead of mkv support , or before it

ie:- get it working properly for the basics , before working on any bonuses

steford1
02-05-2010, 05:06 PM
I have to agree here , since the last firmware update this box has been very stable , divx playback excellent , and N line works fine with no dropouts to "scrambled channel"

I too would prefer to see cams improve to the point that you get no C line dropouts saying "scrambled channel"

alternative skins would be nice , 7 day epg would be a bonus , and some facility for checking the ecm when you change channel or press say the info button etc

also be nice if you can have something like cccam info and cccam switch as plugins , so that you can check server details etc , and switch between lines easily

I would much prefer those improvements instead of mkv support , or before it

ie:- get it working properly for the basics , before working on any bonuses

Indeed. I'm running pretty much stable except not doing everything on the 1 box I'd like to do. No interest in MKV here also due to HTPC.

denton
02-05-2010, 07:50 PM
Indeed. I'm running pretty much stable except not doing everything on the 1 box I'd like to do. No interest in MKV here also due to HTPC.

Just to clarify, I was running great off 1.08.09 (aside from Xcam/cccam glitches on Sly).
I upgraded to the Atevio firmware of 30th April (1.08.16) - it's this one that is full of holes - losing settings mainly. So, unless Icecrypt do a better job of it, it's one to avoid.
I suspect they'll hold-off releasing until a fix is found.

Denton

ColdAsICE
07-05-2010, 01:58 PM
It is important to carry out a full factory reset when installing new firmware to avoid latent memory issues.
The latest version firmware version 1.10.16 has major changes to the mapping area which can cause setting errors with previously backup settings.
This issue has caused some problems but due to the other functional improvements such as the USB WiFi dongle control etc it has been released anyway.
If you decide to try this firmware please remember to carry out a full factory reset and consider a re-programme of settings from scratch may be required before installing it.

Friendly-Face
07-05-2010, 05:20 PM
ColdAsICE
do you have direct contact with Fortis ??
if yes, then Please tell them to fix the EPG and freezing bugs on THOR satellite

I have Tiviar T1 and Octagon 1018 boxes here, and they are all the same , with the same problem

@ those of you that like to convert the box to Octagon boxes
there is NOTHING TO BE GAIND by this guys, i have donne this for many months now, and i can tell you that the same bugs , the same ADDONS, Plugins or what ever that runs on Octagon can run on ICECRYPT boxes, and what ever bug is on Octagon is on all the other boxes that are Produced from Fortis.

Midnight R
07-05-2010, 05:22 PM
Yes I've noticed the freezing on Thor, still I tend to use SkyIT more anyway.

Would like Thor though as it reminds me of the old diablo days, oh the nostalgia!

Tarzan
07-05-2010, 10:01 PM
This firmware looks better to me...

The auto switching on the twin tuner seems to have been fixed faster than I anticipated..

There are still some small issues but overall it seems much stable now...

steford1
08-05-2010, 12:29 PM
So the .16 firmware is good but needs a factory reset in the current firmware before loading - is that correct? I usually back up settings and channel list but they persist across updates - it seems the suggestion is to manually re-add these.

Does that sound OK?

echelon
08-05-2010, 12:36 PM
So the .16 firmware is good but needs a factory reset in the current firmware before loading - is that correct? I usually back up settings and channel list but they persist across updates - it seems the suggestion is to manually re-add these.

Does that sound OK?

I backed up the channel lists and full settings to my usb stick

then uninstalled the plugins

then did a factory reset , rebooted , then loaded the new file in , rebooted , and factory reset again , and rebooted again

then it was a case of reloading my channel file , and reinstalling the plugins with the kinkdink v1.6 loader
( I also added the xcam update files into the kinkdink v1.6 folders , and the latest dreambox softcam too )

Midnight R
08-05-2010, 01:32 PM
Yes, seems to have worked ok for me.

denton
08-05-2010, 06:31 PM
It is important to carry out a full factory reset when installing new firmware to avoid latent memory issues.
The latest version firmware version 1.10.16 has major changes to the mapping area which can cause setting errors with previously backup settings.
This issue has caused some problems but due to the other functional improvements such as the USB WiFi dongle control etc it has been released anyway.
If you decide to try this firmware please remember to carry out a full factory reset and consider a re-programme of settings from scratch may be required before installing it.

I tried the new firmware again and did as you said (factory reset). Unfortunately, it's just the same - it loads all the default settings when I reboot, so I losy my network settings and language settings etc.
Thanks anyway,
Denton

Tarzan
08-05-2010, 09:36 PM
I tried the new firmware again and did as you said (factory reset). Unfortunately, it's just the same - it loads all the default settings when I reboot, so I losy my network settings and language settings etc.
Thanks anyway,
Denton

Strange as I haven't lost any settings as yet...

Did restart a few times....

denton
09-05-2010, 03:38 PM
Strange as I haven't lost any settings as yet...

Did restart a few times....

By new firmware I mean 1.08.16 and loaded on an Octagon with Atevio box ID.

Denton

echelon
09-05-2010, 04:37 PM
works just fine on my icecrypt , no settings are lost

Midnight R
09-05-2010, 04:46 PM
Yep, very stable for me too.

No lost settings either.

mgluby
09-05-2010, 06:13 PM
me too. stable and settings are fine.