PDA

View Full Version : New owner

Tarzan
28-04-2010, 11:56 AM
I was a bit sceptical after the AzBox fiasco and was very reluctant to buy any new receiver but I finally took the plunge and ordered the S4000 only because of it's twin tuner, internal HDD and PIP offerings.

I was looking for a receiver to replace the Sky HD box for Freesat with the added functionality of being able to tune to other sats.

The only other major functionality I am looking for is the full Sky EPG and series link if possible.

Waiting to see if the E2 image will make any difference.

In the meantime does anybody have a link to the user manual?

mgluby
28-04-2010, 12:18 PM
_http://www.icecrypt.com/index.php/downloads/viewcategory/6.html

mgluby
28-04-2010, 12:19 PM
You should be able to find the manual on the icecrypt website.

Tarzan
29-04-2010, 08:43 PM
I couldn't find it on the icecrypt site but I found it on the turbosat site..

Trying to update the firmware and the receiver is stuck in "CHECK HDD" mode... :-(

EDIT: The receiver failed to boot when I had a usb stick connected...

ManikM
29-04-2010, 08:48 PM
hmmm, loose connection? did you fit the disc yourself?

Tarzan
29-04-2010, 08:58 PM
hmmm, loose connection? did you fit the disc yourself?

The receiver fails to start if you got a usb stick connected...

Btw how do you switch tuners???

I scanned 28.2 on T2 and when I rebooted it, it defaults to T1 and gives a message no signal...

ManikM
29-04-2010, 09:30 PM
hmmm ive never needed to change tuner, maybe someone else can help.

Tarzan
29-04-2010, 10:12 PM
Btw has anybody installed a HDD greater than 320GB???

I have installed a 720GB HDD and tried to format it... It hangs and after I reboot it, it shows as a 320GB hdd...

mgluby
29-04-2010, 11:17 PM
What firmware version are you on. I would recommend installing the latest then formatting the HDD drive. I know some people on here have installed a 1TB drive.

Tarzan
30-04-2010, 06:39 AM
What firmware version are you on. I would recommend installing the latest then formatting the HDD drive. I know some people on here have installed a 1TB drive.

I released I have installed the 320 GB HDD rather than 720GB I had...How stupid of me..

Btw my initial impressions for this receiver are not good...

1) Picture quality is bad especially on the SD channels
2) Twin Tuner not working properly
3) PIP not working properly
4) Receiver locking up a few times and not responding to the remote

These are some of the major issues, which need to be iron out quickly..

Where do I send the feedback to?

ManikM
30-04-2010, 08:06 AM
r u on latest firmware

Tarzan
30-04-2010, 08:10 AM
r u on latest firmware

Yes, I am

steford1
30-04-2010, 09:05 AM
I released I have installed the 320 GB HDD rather than 720GB I had...How stupid of me..

Btw my initial impressions for this receiver are not good...

1) Picture quality is bad especially on the SD channels
2) Twin Tuner not working properly
3) PIP not working properly
4) Receiver locking up a few times and not responding to the remote

These are some of the major issues, which need to be iron out quickly..

Where do I send the feedback to?

The PQ is excellent and is widely recognised as so. Are you sure you've got it set up correctly for your TV with the best connection possible eg HDMI. I have mine set to 720P (unfortunately it lacks auto switching depending on broadcast source) but SD and HD content looks great on my 42" Panasonic over HDMI.

Twin Tuner works fine although I do have a minor issue of channels being copied to both tuners when I'd prefer some of them to remain on a single tuner for my fixed dish. Only real solution I've found is to export channel list and remove a tuner from settings on the PC.

PiP works great - best implementation if it I've seen on any box. What's your issue with it?

It can lock up occasionally particularly when stopping/starting EMUs etc manually via telnet I've found. Happens maybe once a month or so for me in regular use.

I'd be worried if I had that many issues but it sounds like they may be box specific if setup and config are all in order.

Tarzan
30-04-2010, 10:05 AM
The PQ is excellent and is widely recognised as so. Are you sure you've got it set up correctly for your TV with the best connection possible eg HDMI. I have mine set to 720P (unfortunately it lacks auto switching depending on broadcast source) but SD and HD content looks great on my 42" Panasonic over HDMI.

PQ is bad compared to the dreaded AzBox Elite HD and also the Vantage VT7100.

90% of my AV devices at home are all connected via HDMI so I know the difference.

Twin Tuner works fine although I do have a minor issue of channels being copied to both tuners when I'd prefer some of them to remain on a single tuner for my fixed dish. Only real solution I've found is to export channel list and remove a tuner from settings on the PC.

For the majority of you out there the Twin Tuner will work great because you are mostly using a twin output from a single dish or are using the Loop Through option...

I got a fixed 28.2 on Tuner 2 and a motorised via the VBox on Tuner 1... Even though I set the Tuner to no 2 on the motorised, it still reverts back to Tuner one...And I keep getting the no signal message.

PiP works great - best implementation if it I've seen on any box. What's your issue with it?

PIP only worked once today morning showing 2 different channels from 2 different sats. Then it was a hit and miss... Sometimes selecting the channel on the small window showed on the channels from the same transponder of channel on the main window...

It can lock up occasionally particularly when stopping/starting EMUs etc manually via telnet I've found. Happens maybe once a month or so for me in regular use.

I'd be worried if I had that many issues but it sounds like they may be box specific if setup and config are all in order.

I have done a factory reset a few times and it usually locks when navigating through the channel list...

I am not saying the box is crap... I love the blindscan function...

I still got a lot more testing to do...

steford1
30-04-2010, 10:49 AM
PQ is bad compared to the dreaded AzBox Elite HD and also the Vantage VT7100.

90% of my AV devices at home are all connected via HDMI so I know the difference.

For the majority of you out there the Twin Tuner will work great because you are mostly using a twin output from a single dish or are using the Loop Through option...

I got a fixed 28.2 on Tuner 2 and a motorised via the VBox on Tuner 1... Even though I set the Tuner to no 2 on the motorised, it still reverts back to Tuner one...And I keep getting the no signal message.

PIP only worked once today morning showing 2 different channels from 2 different sats. Then it was a hit and miss... Sometimes selecting the channel on the small window showed on the channels from the same transponder of channel on the main window...

I have done a factory reset a few times and it usually locks when navigating through the channel list...

I am not saying the box is crap... I love the blindscan function...

I still got a lot more testing to do...

I reckon your PiP issues are linked to the tuner issue then and possibly the same as mine. After scanning you are given the option to copy to other tuner - I always decline this but notice sometimes some channels do appear on both tuners and remain there until I delete via the PC channel editor - not sure if this is a bug or user error. I have the same setup as you although fixed dish on Tuner 2 and motorised on Tuner 1. On the odd occasion I've wanted to watch 2 football matches on different transponders on the same sat and that sat was Hotbird (my fixed dish) I've copied the channel specifically to T2 so I could utilise the PiP across both tuners - worked perfectly.

If PQ is still bad and you know what you're doing re settings and setup (which clearly you do) then something else could be at play eg hardware. I'd go as far as to say that the PQ on even low quality SD channels at native res or upscaled is excellent on this box.

Midnight R
30-04-2010, 11:01 AM
If PQ is still bad and you know what you're doing re settings and setup (which clearly you do) then something else could be at play eg hardware. I'd go as far as to say that the PQ on even low quality SD channels at native res or upscaled is excellent on this box.

I'd have to agree, SD and HD on this box are excellent and I've had a few different boxes over the years to compare it with. I'd suspect that you have a hardware fault with your Ice.

I've had faulty boxes before, both a Darkbox and a Cuberevo. It's really frustrating when it happens.

Good luck

munxcorp
30-04-2010, 06:28 PM
i would also have to agree, both sd and hd picture quality are the best on any hd box that i have tried (fortec, azbox, dm800, spiderbox hd)