PDA

View Full Version : USALS nightmare

ManikM
11-05-2010, 09:00 PM
i had recently switched to DISEQ for my positioner settings, but after a factory restore, i thought i'd try USALS again.

so i got 1w on found a weak TP and set my USALS position to:

Dish Longitude: 001.0W
Dish Latitude: 000.0N

pressed goto, and this got me the strongest sig on 12531 V 23340 - i then tried 5e, 13e, all fine, and then when i get to 39e - NO TP's come in, BUT if then choose 42e - the TP's come up LIVE (orange \ green) and the dish doesnt move - so it thinks 39e is 42e.

if i manually diseq it over nudge by nudge, i get both.]

what does this mean? is my dish misaligned? is this a software glitch?

driving me potty

steford1
11-05-2010, 09:30 PM
I would say it's misaligned and the error is magnified at the extremes of the arc. I bought a Bulsatcom card last year, swung my dish over to 39E only to find I had an awful signal which was never going to be good enough for viewing football in the rain. Thankfully a few nudges over and storing that position sorted it all.

crabber
11-05-2010, 09:35 PM
If you are in the UK your latitude should be approximately 53N, your settings would put you on the equator. Unless it is a typo.
I seem to remember trying to help with a USALS problem before and we ended up agreeing to disagree. The correct way to set USALS is to put in your lat/long drive the dish to (say) 1west then ADJUST THE MOTOR ON THE POLE with a spanner for the strongest signal.

ian51
11-05-2010, 10:06 PM
i had recently switched to DISEQ for my positioner settings, but after a factory restore, i thought i'd try USALS again.

so i got 1w on found a weak TP and set my USALS position to:

Dish Longitude: 001.0W
Dish Latitude: 000.0N

what does this mean? is my dish misaligned? is this a software glitch?

driving me potty

If you are in the UK these settings are wrong. In NE Hampshire I use 51.3 n and 0.8 w. You can get your settings using multimaps or similar and then fine tune for dish misalignment.

Gone_Fishing
11-05-2010, 10:41 PM
:respect-050:

I'm surprised you get anything when your box thinks your here

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/1001/thisyou.jpg

Either go to dishpointer or on google maps you can zoom into your dish in satellite view right click the map and select "Whats here" your long and lat will appear in the search bar enter that into USALS if your dish is correct that's all you need to do

TNT

ManikM
11-05-2010, 10:51 PM
If you are in the UK these settings are wrong. In NE Hampshire I use 51.3 n and 0.8 w. You can get your settings using multimaps or similar and then fine tune for dish misalignment.

Ian, i just tried your settings, and they have worked pretty good, altho u are quite far from me.

1w 39e and 42e are all locking in now via USALS.

Thanks to everyone for helping.

Please let me explain how i thought USALS worked...a dunce's version perhaps.

When i first set my dish up, i made sure the pole was dead vertical, i set the motor to 0 manually, and then bolted the dish onto the motor dead in line with the motor.

i then set my STB at the time, to 1w and a BBC world. i then moved the motor which in turn was holding the dish until i found a signal on BBC world, and then maximised the signal and locked it all up tight.

i then by using DISEQ manually nudge movements with the remote found the maximum signal strength possible was 85%, i then tried matching that with USALS, starting off with the lang and lat which multimap told me, and then adjusting the co-ordinates slightly until i got the 85% - THINKING that if it was on max strength now on USALS, then all the other sats would fall into place.

how wrong can i be!!

i figured that as the dish can only go left and right (and not up and down) it didnt really matter what USALS setting i was putting as i thought if the signal was strong on my starting sat, then any other sats would just drop in line with maximum strength signals.

What do i enter into my USALS?

ManikM
11-05-2010, 10:58 PM
:respect-050:

I'm surprised you get anything when your box thinks your here

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/1001/thisyou.jpg

Either go to dishpointer or on google maps you can zoom into your dish in satellite view right click the map and select "Whats here" your long and lat will appear in the search bar enter that into USALS if your dish is correct that's all you need to do

TNT

LOL thats where i am mate, in a big boat.

ian51
11-05-2010, 11:28 PM
According to dishpointer im at:

EXAMPLE

Latitude: 53.7585°
Longitude: -0.2338°

What do i enter into my USALS?[/QUOTE]

So you are ****** ?

Enter
053.7N
000.2W

If you need to adjust anything, first try changing the 0.4 west by 0.1 up or down until you get the result you need.:respect-051:

EDITED BY ADMIN TO EXAMPLE DETAILS

ManikM
11-05-2010, 11:32 PM
Ian many thanks!!!

:respect-059:

ManikM
11-05-2010, 11:43 PM
PS what happens when there is a minus figure in brackets after the first figure? what would i enter then? is minus, east?

Gone_Fishing
11-05-2010, 11:59 PM
ManikM

Remember when you post your long and lat everyone can find you with google maps, google street view gives me a nice view of your dish and house front and back :respect-051:

TNT

echelon
12-05-2010, 12:14 AM
one born every minute ;)

xanadu
12-05-2010, 12:36 AM
LOL thats where i am mate, in a big boat.

There must be a B&Q there :D :D

Giga
12-05-2010, 06:54 AM
PS what happens when there is a minus figure in brackets after the first figure? what would i enter then? is minus, east?
minus is west, -2° to Greenwich (0° or 360°) , circle = 360°, -2° to west = 360° - 2° = 358°

steford
12-05-2010, 11:30 AM
I would say it's misaligned and the error is magnified at the extremes of the arc. I bought a Bulsatcom card last year, swung my dish over to 39E only to find I had an awful signal which was never going to be good enough for viewing football in the rain. Thankfully a few nudges over and storing that position sorted it all.

Doh - didn't notice the crazy location. I do love the dishes pointing straight up on the equator though.