PDA

View Full Version : High Power Consumption in Sleep Mode: 25 W !!!

buyukbang
12-05-2010, 09:33 PM
Opensat deleted a thread in the official forum that was related about high power consumption in sleep mode. A member of the forum measured it as 25W but it's listed in specs 5W. I replied the thread with a message to warn Opensat saying that improper implementation of specs conflict with consumer rights, and this is prohibited in my country, me or someone may apply "The Consumer Rights Protection Authority" in their country for this.

And then all the thread is deleted !

They're really doing wrong thing by sealing their ear to customer problem complaints. This made me really frustrated.

Anyway, now I've a new idea about implementing an optional "deep sleep mode" in my priority script. When activated this will kill all unnecessary applications and only allow the ones that should continue to work in sleep mode ie. ftp, smb, transmission, amule, EPG downloader.

I assume killing unnecessary applications will will provide:

1- Power saving
2- more CPU timing for remaining applications (better download speeds, eg.)

I just need someone that having an multimeter to measure the azbox. 25W does or does not include HDD consumption, I'm not sure about this. So I need test results for 3-4 test scenarios.

Can anybody help me so we can decide if killing application will bring us anything?

FME_fta
12-05-2010, 09:54 PM
The CPU in the chipset is a low power one, it shouldn't consume much power (2-4w max I guess).
The problem can be the rest of the chipset and I/O.

I don't know if any killing process will make the chipset activate any low power function since it detects than some of its parts are not in use.
Maybe the only way to reduce power consumption is through the drivers, which no one of us have access to....

But don't take my word as relevant, since I'm no expert in linux (not even near).

Cheers!

Smudger
12-05-2010, 11:13 PM
I'm able to measure box power consumption.

Opensat deleted a thread in the official forum that was related about high power consumption in sleep mode. A member of the forum measured it as 25W but it's listed in specs 5W. I replied the thread with a message to warn Opensat saying that improper implementation of specs conflict with consumer rights, and this is prohibited in my country, me or someone may apply "The Consumer Rights Protection Authority" in their country for this.

They're really doing wrong thing by sealing their ear to customer problem complaints. This made me really frustrated.

Anyway, now I've a new idea about implementing an optional "deep sleep mode" in my priority script. When activated this will kill all unnecessary applications and only allow the ones that should continue to work in sleep mode ie. ftp, smb, transmission, amule, EPG downloader.

1- Power saving

I just need someone that having an multimeter to measure the azbox. 25W does or does not include HDD consumption, I'm not sure about this. So I need test results for 3-4 test scenarios.

Can anybody help me so we can decide if killing application will bring us anything?

gtg60
12-05-2010, 11:15 PM
I posted some tests I did on power consumption waaay back:
https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?t=110867

terrorman
13-05-2010, 12:28 AM
hahaha, the az, in the end they prohibit, the ball is getting bigger jajajajaja

buyukbang
13-05-2010, 07:34 AM
That's fine information ! I bought the box in February so I'm not aware of old discussions :)

BTW, your old measurements differs from the one that I read at opensat written by a forum user (which is deleted now) He measured 25 watt, but you measured for permium :
"Standby: 12 Watts (but is 18 Watts for a minute or so until HDD powers down)"

I think new firmwares might be power monster ?

@Smudger & @ gtg60

Could you please measure this test scenarios for the community with the newest firmware, so that we can be sure about we could decrease it with "kill commands" or not ?

I'll send you a PM that includes a simple script to kill unnecessary apps in Sleep mode? So we need these measurements:

1- Sleep mode wattage, without killing anything with hardware accerelation ON
2- Sleep mode wattage after killing unnecessary apps with hardware accerelation ON
3- Sleep mode wattage, without killing anything with hardware accerelation Off
4- Sleep mode wattage after killing unnecessary apps with hardware accerelation Off

Test should be done without a HDD or with a sleeping HDD to exclude/minimize HDD effects on the results.

:respect-051:

THANKS !

I posted some tests I did on power consumption waaay back:
https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?t=110867

Smudger
13-05-2010, 08:56 AM

Both have same result 15w

My Setup Premium with HDD set to 1 min HDD standby so sits at 18w until 1min then down to 15 W.

Noticed that if you select shutdown option it its at 24W. after rocker switch is pressed then 0.1w
I thought this option was there to kill proccess and system cleanly before switch off.

Awaiting script. for other tests.

Smudger
13-05-2010, 09:23 AM
just noticed after 15 mins it has now gone down to 12W/13W fluctuation.

buyukbang
13-05-2010, 09:24 AM
Smudger,

You are really a great man and faster than flash ! :applause-003:

I'll provide you the killer script in short .

Both have same result 15w

My Setup Premium with HDD set to 1 min HDD standby so sits at 18w until 1min then down to 15 W.

Noticed that if you select shutdown option it its at 24W. after rocker switch is pressed then 0.1w
I thought this option was there to kill proccess and system cleanly before switch off.

Awaiting script. for other tests.

rocktheroad
13-05-2010, 11:00 AM
I have two tuners in my Permium, and that is the part which is the hottest... even in standby

buyukbang
13-05-2010, 06:16 PM
I made FTP performance for below three cases. Harware Accerelation is on :

without script : 700mb: 145 seconds 4.38 GB:952 seconds Stable Speed: 37.63
with script : 700mb: 97 seconds 4.38 GB:630 seconds Stable Speed: 56.85
kill + script : 700mb: 91 seconds 4.38 GB:589 seconds Stable Speed: 60.75

Killing unnecessary applications + prioritizing FTP in sleep mode provides 6.5 percent speed increase over only prioritizing FTP.

Smudger
13-05-2010, 09:39 PM
During some testing of power consumption I noticed that when watching tv the sd channel power the consumption is normally 25w and hd 28w.

With buyukbang's new 1.2 priority script in place, after all other startup scripting has finished ie:azboxmgr. Sd power went to 23w and Hd 24w.
I did notice after some channel hopping and then back to sd channel it went to 29W for about 15 mins, but now has droppen back to 23w.

It's a channel change that puts it up to 29w.

Smudger
13-05-2010, 09:45 PM
just noticed after 15 mins it has now gone down to 12W/13W fluctuation.

After killing all the process's with buyukbang's supplied kill script this stabled down to 12w but then I was unable to wakeup box. Box auto rebooted when trying to wakeup.

luky
14-05-2010, 02:18 PM
it's not surprising - killing unused processes requires reboot after finishing transfer

rover
14-05-2010, 08:53 PM
hi guys, my box goes into sleep mode when i go to bed, turn the switch off at the plug, :smilielol5:

buyukbang
14-05-2010, 09:55 PM
It is wonderful if you can download something with azbox even if you turn of the box !

hi guys, my box goes into sleep mode when i go to bed, turn the switch off at the plug, :smilielol5:

sossybaby
15-05-2010, 09:55 AM

1- Power saving

the latest sw o.9.4890 has the changelog fixed standby lnb power issue.
so maybe they were listening.

buyukbang
15-05-2010, 10:05 AM
Smudger,

Could you please re-measure sleep mode power consumption with and without the script? (with the latest one that you have :) )

I think it will be the same with or without the script, but the update log sounds as power consumption is decreased because of the fix in latest firmware.

Regs...

the latest sw o.9.4890 has the changelog fixed standby lnb power issue.
so maybe they were listening.

gtg60
15-05-2010, 07:11 PM
Found my power consumption tester so if you want me to do some testing just PM me the script.

Detlef
15-05-2010, 09:26 PM
Does the sleep mode turn off the LNB(s).

LNBs typically consume 5W to 7W.

That is the problem with Digiboxes as both LNBs stay live.

FME_fta
15-05-2010, 10:35 PM
My Elite (0.4890) with an USB HDD 2.5" (consumes 1-2W ) and with a DVB-T tuner, without any script or overclock.

Standby: 13W
Standby (and the cable to the LNB was disconnected): 13W
SAT SD (MPEG2): 22-23W
SAT SD (MPEG4): 23-24W
SAT HD: 25W
DTT SD (MPEG4): 22-24W, onetime somehow I also measured just 19W (DVB-S2 tuner and LNB was powered down???)
DTT SD with LNB cable disconnected (from DVB-S2): 21-22W
DTT HD: don't have
Media player (through NFS) SD AVI: 23W
Media player (through NFS) 720p MKV: 24W
Media player (through NFS) 1080p WMV: 25W

buyukbang
17-05-2010, 10:42 AM
@gtg60 & @FME_fta,

Thanks for your great help for the community.

Could you please test if below commands make a difference in power consumption of the box in sleep mode? I've already implemented this in my new script as deep sleep mode, it make a performance difference (6-7%). Smudger already tested this and his tests show no difference. But he found that S99PriorityManager makes a difference. Latest firmware will be fine for this tests since there is a LNB power related version log in this firmware.

Just need four test results if you could find enough time to test:

1-Without any script and command in sleep mode (FME_fta already gave this result)

2- Without any script, after below commands.

3- With S99PriorityManager v1.2 in sleep mode

4- With S99PriorityManager v1.2 in sleep mode, after below commands.

THANKS!

killall -9 cheops_module
killall -9 DStar
killall -9 file_control
killall -9 JIPC_Server
killall -9 SDecoderServer
killall -9 event_dispatcher
killall -9 app_control
killall -9 rssfeed
killall -9 Polaris
killall -9 browser_control
killall -9 sample_module
killall -9 CRTVSetup
killall -9 E_TUNER.A
killall -9 SeleneTVCore
killall -9 CRTVCore
killall -9 TEMSControl
killall -9 TVPortal_Player
killall -9 TVPortalCore
killall -9 youtube_player
killall -9 radio_test
killall -9 detector_test
killall -9 boot_controler
killall -9 update_agent
killall -9 inadyn-advanced
killall -9 EStar
killall -9 JPlugins
killall -9 S.sh
killall -9 nano-X
snice telnetd -10
snice vsftpd -20
snice cifsdnotifyd -10
snice cifsoplockd -10
snice smbd -20
snice nmbd -20

Found my power consumption tester so if you want me to do some testing just PM me the script.

My Elite (0.4890) with an USB HDD 2.5" (consumes 1-2W ) and with a DVB-T tuner, without any script or overclock.

Standby: 13W
Standby (and the cable to the LNB was disconnected): 13W
SAT SD (MPEG2): 22-23W
SAT SD (MPEG4): 23-24W
SAT HD: 25W
DTT SD (MPEG4): 22-24W, onetime somehow I also measured just 19W (DVB-S2 tuner and LNB was powered down???)
DTT SD with LNB cable disconnected (from DVB-S2): 21-22W
DTT HD: don't have
Media player (through NFS) SD AVI: 23W
Media player (through NFS) 720p MKV: 24W
Media player (through NFS) 1080p WMV: 25W

FME_fta
17-05-2010, 12:49 PM
In my lunch time I did have some time to test, but the priority script or the killing commands won't do any difference in standby power consumption.
Reducing the CPU load won't do much...

But one thing I did notice is if I restart azbox with out watching any DVB-S channel (starting on a DTT channel or not in TV module), the power consumption is reduced in ~4W, so you can watch DTT or watching a video in media player and the power consumption will be 19-21W.
But once we watch a sat channel and the DVB-S2 tuner activates, we will always have +4W of power usage.

I will try to report about this in the official forum.

PS: My measures was somehow optimistic there are cases (worst case scenario) when the power will increase +3W, say watching a HD movie will consume up to 28W.

buyukbang
17-05-2010, 01:10 PM
Really good information, thanks!

:respect-046:

So we know that CPU is not a power monster and what I understand from your test results is that there are still some power leaks caused by the azbox firmware which mishandles LNBs .

Reporting this to official forum will be good (of course if they don't censor it)

In my lunch time I did have some time to test, but the priority script or the killing commands won't do any difference in standby power consumption.
Reducing the CPU load won't do much...

But one thing I did notice is if I restart azbox with out watching any DVB-S channel (starting on a DTT channel or not in TV module), the power consumption is reduced in ~4W, so you can watch DTT or watching a video in media player and the power consumption will be 19-21W.
But once we watch a sat channel and the DVB-S2 tuner activates, we will always have +4W of power usage.

I will try to report about this in the official forum.

PS: My measures was somehow optimistic there are cases (worst case scenario) when the power will increase +3W, say watching a HD movie will consume up to 28W.