PDA

View Full Version : Galileo (satellite navigation)

Franz
13-05-2010, 09:24 AM
I came across this on the web, thought it worth sharing....

[QUOTE]Galileo is a global navigation satellite system (GNSS) currently being built by the European Union (EU) and European Space Agency (ESA). The €3.4 billion project is an alternative and complementary to the U.S. Global Positioning System (GPS) and the Russian GLONASS. On 30 November 2007 the 27 EU transportation ministers involved reached an agreement that it should be operational by 2013,[1] but later press releases suggest it was delayed to 2014.[2]
When in operation, it will have two ground operations centers, one near Munich, Germany, and another in Fucino, 130 km east of Rome, Italy.[citation needed] Since 18 May 2007, at the recommendation of Transport Commissioner Jacques Barrot, the EU took direct control of the Galileo project from the private sector group of eight companies called European Satellite Navigation Industries, which had abandoned this Galileo project in early 2007.
Galileo is intended to provide more precise measurements than available through GPS or GLONASS (Galileo will be accurate down to the metre range) including the height (altitude) above sea level, and better positioning services at high latitudes. The political aim is to provide an independent positioning system upon which European nations can rely even in times of war or political disagreement, since Russia or the USA could disable use of their national systems by others (through encryption).
Like the US GPS, use of basic (low-accuracy) Galileo services will be free and open to everyone. However, the high-accuracy capabilities will be restricted to military use and paying commercial users.
Named for the Italian astronomer Galileo Galilei, the positioning system is officially referred to as just Galileo. It is also sometimes colloquially described as the Galileo positioning system; however, since this abbreviates to GPS, the shorter astronomer's name is preferred to avoid confusion with Navstar GPS.

Article taken from Wikipedia

As far as I am aware, extra sat nav equipment will not be needed, but I welcome correction, if anyone knows more!?