PDA

View Full Version : knackered my tom tom 720

we are borg
19-05-2010, 09:55 PM
I bought a new battery as old one was only good for 20 mins off charge.

I got the battery in and started rebuilding it but struggled to connect the wide gold flex cable before putting back into case.

I have managed to break the 2 lugs on the connector on the board so now the cable will not hold in place with the clip that goes in to the lugs

When I hold the cable in place it is intermittant in booting sometimes with graphics sometimes with sound. That might be me with cable in wrong place.

Any ideas to fix or has this been a dear exercise in self stupidity.

If it is what model recommended and where is cheapest.

we are borg

Russell1
19-05-2010, 10:53 PM
Hope you manage to get it fixed, but can't offer any help sorry.
If it comes to getting a new model - have a look here -

http://www.find-tomtom-deals.co.uk/
Not easy to recommend a certain model - depends really on what features you want on it.

we are borg
20-05-2010, 12:05 PM
Hi Russ

obviously I need one that I can upgrade cameras, postcodes and maps on with a sd card facility but preferably has a bigger memory than the 2 gb that seems to be standard.

Would like uk and western europe maps as well.

we are borg

Russell1
20-05-2010, 01:34 PM
Any of the later units with a memory card slot can use a bigger memory card - I've got an 8gb card in my Go730. I think the latest *50 units only use a MicroSD card, but can use one with large memory capacity.
All units can be upgraded - navcore - cameras - postcodes - maps etc... If you get the Western Europe map then the UK will be fully covered.

ssjenkins
20-05-2010, 03:39 PM
@borg

I haven't seen inside a TomTom before but can't you maybe solder the cable to the board ? That'll save you having to buy a new one . On that subject my ol' 500 which I bought in 2004 (or 5 ?) has the latest Spanish (with Radar), UK/Ireland , and Western Europe maps all loaded onto a single 2Gb SD card and I've still got tonnes of space so I don't think you'll have much problem finding a current model to suit your needs .

Sammy

we are borg
22-05-2010, 05:49 PM
Hi Guys

thanks for the replies I have decided to have another go at my 720 when I am in the right mood .

I will keep you informed.

we are borg

rickt
22-05-2010, 09:12 PM
Are we taking about a ribbon cable inside the Tomtom ? like a ZIF cable , it fits into a tiny slot with 2 locking lugs . I wonder if you can just insert the cable and use one of those glue guns to dab a couple of drops of hot glue to lock the cable ............worth a try .

we are borg
24-05-2010, 08:30 PM
Hi Rickt

thanks for the tip.

I may give it a try

we are borg