PDA

View Full Version : dish working with Disqec but not USALS

Satman68
30-05-2010, 04:04 PM
Hi
I have previously set my dish up with USALS working fine, but my son moved the dish and after finding, 13e 28 e and 1w with diseqc manually when I change these sats to USALs the dish moves too far and I loose the sats. I am in Manchester and I am 53N to 3W. I have reset the motor on the motor itself but still it doesn't work, only on disqec. Where am I going wrong?

Thanks

Satman68

crabber
30-05-2010, 05:21 PM
Reset again, switch back to USALS select a satellite say BBC world FTA on 1 west then adjust the motor on the pole for best signal. Was the up/down position moved? as if so this can be set back to your latitude first.

Dark Cloud
30-05-2010, 09:28 PM
What Crabber said.

AM556
30-05-2010, 10:04 PM
Did he "move the dish" physically or via the box/remote?

Satman68
30-05-2010, 10:24 PM
Thanks for your help. I wasn't there when he moved it, but I assume he moved the dish east or west but not up and down.

I have adjusted it more, and I can get 95% from Hispasat and 85% from turks a t @ 42deg. Strangely I am getting better signal now that I have tweaked the dish, but I still have the same problem with USALS. I have reset the motor from the motor itself, is there any else I can do. The sats I have found, I have done manually, which is harder than DISEQC.

Thanks

Dark Cloud
31-05-2010, 08:35 AM
But,.... what signal are you getting from BBC World Service at 1 West ?.
This should be your starting point.
Use "ONLY" usals, don't even think about diseqc.
Another thing to consider, your location is given as NW England, I once was installing in Northern Ireland and had to use "5 West" as my zero start point instead of 1 West.

AnyAirPlane
31-05-2010, 09:22 AM
I am also ea Mancheste with a similar latitude and longitude. I set my satellite positions in by driving the dish using USALS to the sat position, changing to DISEQC, "nudging" to get the highest quality, then saving the settings as on DISEQC. When changing between satellite positions, the dish then always goes to the saved position, which is what I have manually adjusted it to by swapping from USAL to DISEQC and saving.

Cheers,

AAP

AM556
02-06-2010, 08:59 PM
When using USALS there should be no need whatsoever to adjust/nudge, if there is, your dish or lat & long aren't set correctly, end of.
It is a misconception that when seting up USALS you NEED to use a sat due south of your location. This method was only required when setting up with DiSEqC (the conventional method). Any sat can be used to setup a dish using USALS, once one sat is found, say 28e, USALS then knows exactly where every other sat is relative to your position. However, if there is a slight discrepancy at 28e, this will be exagerated by the time the dish sweeps to, say 30w. This is the only reason for setting up on any southerly sat, that way, any discrepancy will be halved (50% to the east and 50% to the west). A very useful method is to setup on 28e which is easy to locate, then ask USALS to move to a weaker sat around the 5e to 5w region, fine tuning on a weak transponder by adjustments to the dish only.

Satman68
06-06-2010, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the above help. So just to check. I should reset the motor, set the menu for USALS, set the sat for BBC news @ 1w let the motor move to that point with the motor and manually move the dish until I have a good signal. Then continue with USALS and setup all other sats tweeking to get best signal?

AM556
06-06-2010, 11:39 PM
Thanks for the above help. So just to check. I should reset the motor, set the menu for USALS, set the sat for BBC news @ 1w let the motor move to that point with the motor and manually move the dish until I have a good signal. Then continue with USALS and setup all other sats tweeking to get best signal?

Yes and no mate. You should reset the motor, set your box to USALS, input your latitude and longitude (essential for USALS to know where you are), then send to 1w BBC news or anywhere you choose (double check the chosen channel details are current). What I do to save confusion and possible selecting the wrong sat, is disconnect the dish cable, then switch on and select your sat, switch off and reconnect cable. That done, your dish should have moved only a little from it's cetral "0" position. This is when you'll find if your dish isn't aligned correctly (a must for good reception!).
Now, once you know the dish is pointing correctly, there should be no reason whatsoever to "nudge" via the receiver using USALS, all sats should be viewable by selecting them. If you decide to move east or west and get a better signal, then your dish isn't aligned. Bear in mind that the majority, if not all receivers, once adjusted via "move east/west" and stored, will be stored and revert to DiSEqC for that and possibly all sats ( a couple of my boxes store just that sat in DiSEqC whilst leaving the others and new ones on USALS).

Satman68
08-06-2010, 06:51 PM
Thanks AM556, I will try what you suggest, hopefully I can get this to work.