PDA

View Full Version : Install Hard Drive on DM800HD?

chrispy
07-06-2010, 11:49 AM
Ok, after getting my DM800HD on saturday and getting it all up and running I want to install a spare laptop Sata hard drive I have laying around. It has windows 7 or Vista installed on it at the moment. What I need to know is - do I need to blank the drive before I install it and formatting it in Linux or can I just bung it in and then format it? I don't want to bugger up any settings on the DM with it trying to boot Windows or summat.

Thanks in advance to anyone kind enough to help me.

echelon
07-06-2010, 11:57 AM
I dont think its matters as you would format the disk in linux from the dreambox anyway

if you are really worried about it , just wipe it and partition it and format it in NTFS or FAT 32 on your pc first , especially as it may have multiple partitions on it at the moment anyway

sonic1
07-06-2010, 12:09 PM
I used a drive from my old laptop, just popped it in and formatted it in the box.

chrispy
07-06-2010, 12:10 PM
Thanks very much for the advice. Much appreciated.

apriliarsvr
19-06-2010, 10:08 AM
i would like to put a hard drive in my box.. which one do you recommend and how many gigs... also is cooling an issue with putting an internal hard drive and where can i buy one from..!! also is it just a case of plug and play..?

many thanks indeed..

chrispy
19-06-2010, 01:06 PM
I just threw in a 320 gb laptop drive and formatted it and off it went. After a few hours I was a bit concerned about cooling and took it back out.

apriliarsvr
19-06-2010, 07:10 PM
ive bought a 500gig 2.5" internal hard drive.. before i attempt to do this myself is there a guide of how to physically fit it and to get it working that i can read up on before i start.. many thanks.

pedigree
11-07-2010, 12:00 AM
Hi
I read that it is best to connect an external HD using the Esata port at the rear of the DM800 rather than using the USB's. What type of plug do you need to connect to the esata connector on the DM800.
Thanks
Pedigree