PDA

View Full Version : Should I now change from Humax?

bazzae123
08-06-2010, 05:35 PM
Hi Guy’s, looking for some advice on a new receiver. I currently own a humax 5400 but after reading some posts on the forum I may be better off now changing to something else, for those extra channels. After reading various threads the most likely candidate would be a spider of some variant, most probably the 9000.

Now, heres where I need a little advice please. Only having a SD TV (Loewe) which has a superb picture anyway would I still be able to view HD pictures from satellite, even thought in SD format on my Loewe?
Secondly, with my Humax I could arrange all my channel setting with ‘Humbox’ and put them in an order I liked, is there a similar program around to still be able to do this or is there another method?
Thirdly, with this “Gift” thing, as I understand it, I would have to connect to a server to benefit from the extra channels available so the question is is this server free to log onto or is there some form of payment up front, and if and when this option is no longer available would a Spider still give me what I get already from my Humax?
Lastly, is a spider the best option for me?

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Bazza

bazzae123
08-06-2010, 08:36 PM
Anybody, I'd like to order one of these tomorrow.

If only to answer if a HD box will output to a SD TV

Bazza

RABBY
08-06-2010, 08:39 PM
bazzae123

Hi Guy’s, looking for some advice on a new receiver. I currently own a humax 5400 but after reading some posts on the forum I may be better off now changing to something else, for those extra channels. After reading various threads the most likely candidate would be a spider of some variant, most probably the 9000.

Hello m8 ? Does People still use [humax 5400 ] Mines is been out of service for a very long time ??? These boxes are a thing of the past

You will be Very Happy with a [ Spiderbox ] Believe me ? Time to Upgrade yourself from [ SD To HD ] :respect-050:

tr8.
08-06-2010, 09:06 PM
Anybody, I'd like to order one of these tomorrow.

If only to answer if a HD box will output to a SD TV

Bazza

Yes a HD box works with a sd TV and gives the hd channels in sd via scart, as well as the sd channels

bazzae123
08-06-2010, 09:19 PM
Thanks guy's.

Just ready a bit more regarding this 'gift' package idea, appears to be quite controversial or just sour grapes. Without it some are saying its just a FTA box

Bazza

RABBY
08-06-2010, 09:26 PM
bazzae123

Thanks guy's.

Just ready a bit more regarding this 'gift' package idea, appears to be quite controversial or just sour grapes. Without it some are saying its just a FTA box

Bazza

Opens The Most on the satscene m8 :respect-050: More than [Cams @ Cards] That is WHY EVERYONE IS SO [Bitchy ]:grouphug:

Bees
09-06-2010, 12:14 AM
I changed a month ago from a 5400 to the Spiderbox 9000. It is excellent and you won't be disappointed. If you are using a VBox as a positioner, before you disconnect the Hummy, note down all the positions of the satellites from the VBox so that you can program the Spiderbox which is what I did. Most people use USALS where you only have to input your longitude/lattiude and the box should find the correct positions.

echelon
09-06-2010, 12:16 AM

Now, heres where I need a little advice please.

Only having a SD TV (Loewe) which has a superb picture anyway would I still be able to view HD pictures from satellite, even thought in SD format on my Loewe?

YES

Secondly, with my Humax I could arrange all my channel setting with ‘Humbox’ and put them in an order I liked, is there a similar program around to still be able to do this or is there another method?

YES , AND A NEW PC BASED CHANNEL EDITOR MAY BE ON THE WAY TOO

Thirdly, with this “Gift” thing, as I understand it, I would have to connect to a server to benefit from the extra channels available so the question is is this server free to log onto or is there some form of payment up front,

if you buy the gift box its included and when you register it sets an expiry date in 12 months time

and if and when this option is no longer available would a Spider still give me what I get already from my Humax?

YES , IF THOSE CHANNELS ARE STILL AVAILABLE

Lastly, is a spider the best option for me?

PROBABLY

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

if you dont want to mess about with a dreambox or vu+duo or other linux box , and like one similar to the hummy , yes its a good upgrade for the money

Bazza

all boxes are fta without some sort of leg up

it has card slot , cam slot , ethernet , can use N or C lines , patches , softcams , is Hd , and the 9000 has an RF output too , as well as scart , hdmi , component and composite , usb loading , usb pvr capability , and home streaming

all HD boxes output in SD over scart or phono

so even when the gift runs out , its still usable with something or other , or for fta same as all the others including the humax , technomate , samsung etc

terry l
09-06-2010, 01:47 PM
Using it as a free to air box at the moment [the gift has gone again]..
Stiill working with the patch though..

bazzae123
09-06-2010, 04:55 PM
Using it as a free to air box at the moment [the gift has gone again]..
Stiill working with the patch though..

Obviously 'Gift' has gone down, I've just ordered one just before you posted. Story of my life, buy shares price goes down sell shares price goes up.

So, is this a common thing with gift going down, or just my bad timing?

Bazza

mister-t
09-06-2010, 05:10 PM
Obviously 'Gift' has gone down, I've just ordered one just before you posted. Story of my life, buy shares price goes down sell shares price goes up.

So, is this a common thing with gift going down, or just my bad timing?

Bazza

gift still working,what i have noticed is that maybe one provider may be down on gift for a short while but other providers on gift still work,so if one down watch something else for a while untill its back
mister-t

terry l
09-06-2010, 05:28 PM
No big deal bazz m8.
There's allway's an alternative..

bazzae123
09-06-2010, 06:00 PM
Hi Guy's,

Thanks for all you help so far. Just a couple of more question if you don't mind.

I'm reading all the info I can in the FAQ section but just need to know does the Ethernet cable from the Box to my router need to be a cross over? also, in the file section area theres a couple of files that I'm not sure of, Service+Patch and one for CCcam Fix, as these have later dates than the V2 patch do I need them?

Bazza

echelon
09-06-2010, 06:07 PM
Hi Guy's,

Thanks for all you help so far. Just a couple of more question if you don't mind.

I'm reading all the info I can in the FAQ section but just need to know does the Ethernet cable from the Box to my router need to be a cross over? also, in the file section area theres a couple of files that I'm not sure of, Service+Patch and one for CCcam Fix, as these have later dates than the V2 patch do I need them?

Bazza

straight wired to router , not crossover

and you would use the latest gift + patch as detailed in the instructions with it

Bazza1974
09-06-2010, 07:32 PM
Are full packages open on gift or is it just a few channels from each one?

echelon
09-06-2010, 07:37 PM
should be a list , but it usually varies according to the provider

terry l
10-06-2010, 03:05 PM
Eutel and thor off [and on[ again..
Oh well back to the drawing board...lol..