PDA

View Full Version : Installing my freesat dish

Palmyra007
15-06-2010, 12:58 PM
Hi there,

Please excuse me if this question sounds very basic, but I'm new to the world of satelite dishes and this is my first experience of trying to do it myself!

I have just purchase a Sony Bravia LCD TV with built in Freesat HD and Freeview HD. I've always wanted Freesat and have so have bought myself a brand new Sky Mk4 dish and Quad LNB from e-bay. I also invested in a Satellite finder meter.
I've looked around at 100's of dishes in my are to see where they are pointing and used the compass bearing from the internet to get the dish pointing in the right direction. I've mounted it on the highest point of my house with nothing blocking the dish (I live on top of hill). I've followed all the instructions including using my meter and I can only get a meter reading in one direction (the same direction as all the other dishes in my street).
My problems is that I cannot get any signal on Freesat. I've even borrowed a Freesat box as that has the signal bars and % readout - but nothing.
On my TV I have a DVB option so I've tried that. It comes up with Astra1 91.2 degrees E and has tuned in 1050 German, Spanish and Polish channels but I just can't get anything on Freesat.
I've tried everything I can think of ... followed all the instructions...used advice from the Freesat website etc but to no avail.

Please can anyone suggest how I can get Freesat ?

maud
15-06-2010, 01:03 PM
set your dish to 28.5 degrees east,then set the angle for best signal.sounds like you are on 19.2 degrees m8

Palmyra007
15-06-2010, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the quick response...Sorry if I sound dense - but how do I line my dish up to 28.5 degrees East ? When I use my satellite finder meter the only signal I get is the direction it's pointing now. Trying to use a compass at the top of a ladder is proving to be a little precarious !

guitar man
15-06-2010, 01:24 PM
I've just bought a hd labgear freesat type with dish and it took me quite a while to get it just right even though i put up my motorised system myself. Just the fraction out i lost the signal. check up and down as well as side to side. Have a cup of tea and start again.
good luck.

echelon
15-06-2010, 01:36 PM
moved to the correct forum

point the dish at astra 2 / eurobird at 28.2/28.5 east ( not astra 1 )

then you will get the freesat channels that a sky box also gives

you will find plenty of info in here about dish alignment , but basically you need to turn the dish more to the east , by another 9 degrees or so