PDA

View Full Version : WOW - An Honest Review...

Yoda
13-07-2010, 07:20 PM
Guys,

You know when you visit a shop and get amazing service you feel like telling everyone?

Well that is how I feel today.

I bought the Spiderbox 9000 HD from Goldwafers yesterday and by 13:00 today I was playing with this wonderful new toy.
So firstly thanks to Goldwafers for A+++ service as usual.

OK so I have no reason to be anything but honest regarding this box, I have in the past had dreambox 7000, Azbox HD and built a media PC and I can say with out any doubt this box blows them all away.

It looks good, is small and compact, silent in use, elegant designed menu system, outstanding picture quality, rock stable on cccam (not tried gift ) great looking multi featured remote control that even controls my TV, simple to setup and last but not least easy on the pocket.

I can not remember the last time I was so impressed with a product.

Yoda

PS: I just wanted to post this so anyone who is thinking about this box can share my experiance.

UPDATE

I have now had a few days so for anyone that is interested this is how I have got on with this box.

I am actually just as happy with the Spiderbox 9000 as the day it arrived, it has become my main box and everyone in the house can use it. Unlike my experiance with Linux boxes this actually feels like the box has been created for one purpose and that is to watch TV.
It doesnt have any fancy web browser or youtube client but I have a pc which is much better at doing these tasks anyway.

What it does do very well is display high quality HD and upscaled pictures with amazing results.
I can only compare this to my previous Azbox, and Media PC built around a DVBS2 card from Happauge. I can tell you that the HD image is clear and blur free and the upscaled SD channels double the quality of say my DM7000.

Installation was simple, unpack connect the HDMI cable to your TV then connect the LAN cable to your router and connect you satellite feed and plug it in.

When it boots you will notice that it is lightening fast compared to a linux box and before you know it you are ready to play. The box automatically detected that the highest res for my TV was 1080i and it set itself to this.

The menu system is very well laid out with colours that are bright and highlight the most important information depending on the function you are performing.

If you are using a 4 way DiSEqC switch then select DiSEqC from the menu and select your satellites and the port they are connected to you will even be able to see the signal strength to confirm the satellite is being seen. ( Nice Touch )

Scanning channels took around 20 mins to full scan all these sats 13E 19E 28E and 1W.
At this point I would like to mention that the tuner is amazing, it has given me channels that I have never seen on any other stb.

Installing updates and patches ( Gift ) is simple.
Take a USB stick and place in in a PC then download the latest patch to the usb stick and put it back in the Spiderbox then open the menu and select USB select the file and watch it load. The box will reboot and its done.

Configuring is just as simple for cccam server deatails and enabling and registering gift.

PVR is simple to use easy to setup and works very well.
I purchased a WD 320GB 2.5 USB2 HDD and plugged it into the Spiderbox, pressed record and it worked (it really was that simple) anyone that needs to can format any drive to work by using Menu / USB then Format.
Pause, rewind and fast forward again work very well.

If like me you travel a lot you could disconnect your USB HDD and take it with you and connect it to a laptop, install GOM Player this will then let you play all your recorded TV via a laptop.
Remember that if you have recorded in HD your laptops CPU and graphics need be able to play them back without glitches.

Gom Player
_h**p://download.cnet.com/3001-13632_4-10551786.html?spi=d1128ff6b4560e5 e35020b88adc39c12

Ok so read on if you want to know what was bad about this box?

The answer is very little to be honest.

The EPG could be a lot better, it only seems to display now and next I dont think I will be using it much especially as now and next are displayed when you change channels anyway.

The channel editor that is available could be better too, it would be nice to be able to change the font type and size.

But hey I am just nitpicking at the end of the day this is by far the best £200.00 I have spent in a long time.

Hope this helps.

Yoda

Friendly-Face
13-07-2010, 07:34 PM
heheh Yoda, i thought you will make fun of this little devil box
im sure many here will appritiate an Honest review and from some one that has nothing to do with either Sponsor or the shop, an end user reveiw is very usefull as this helps many like you, me and many others to buy this box.

Just have to say it again i have never seeen a box like this in my over 30 years in this hoby, and belive me i have had many boxes to test.

enrico001u
13-07-2010, 09:49 PM
Thanks for review!!

2 questions

How is it with with playing large .mkv's

And how is the epg??

Thanks guys

Yoda
14-07-2010, 12:37 AM
Hi Mate,

I have not experianced playing media on this box, however I can tell you that the EPG is not great, seems to give now and next but thats about it, if you are looking for an impressive EPG then maybe its not the box for you. That said the boxes other features make up for the poor epg ten fold.

Yoda

kdoug007
14-07-2010, 08:21 PM
well i WANT ONE BUT IM TERRIFIED i will spend 10 days getting it connected!! yes my pc is upstairs and tellie down stairs,,, i just find it impossible to get real assistance on this... and havnt a clue what step number 1 would be,,,
yes goldwafers are dam good also. ( have a diablo2+ techomate now and a v box that drives my motor dish)

Mickha
14-07-2010, 09:00 PM
Get some homeplugs, they allow you to connect your router upstairs to your receiver downstairs.
From what I've read the setting up of the Spiderbox is a lot easier than any linux based receiver and all you require is a USB memory stick to transfer the software from your PC to the Spiderbox.

quibath
14-07-2010, 09:50 PM
Hi

Just few words and have to say I do not have anything against spiderbox.

With linux based receivers the setting up can be also easy. (OK, now I have Vu+ duo)..What I want to say it´s not difficult.

Image to stb with usb stick...power on/off..it´s there.

Then net configuration and when it´s ok You can upload things with your remote or from pc to stb to pc .........Not so difficult.

But, usability of linux receivers are...well, much more better.Thats support.

With spider the advantage are "gift" channels and you can use them as client in cs.

But these receivers are wrestling in different league so better to choose that one which suits to your needs.

And last: Yes You can get good support from Lee, whatever you order from him.:bowing-036:

echelon
14-07-2010, 09:55 PM
well i WANT ONE BUT IM TERRIFIED i will spend 10 days getting it connected!! yes my pc is upstairs and tellie down stairs,,, i just find it impossible to get real assistance on this... and havnt a clue what step number 1 would be,,,
yes goldwafers are dam good also. ( have a diablo2+ techomate now and a v box that drives my motor dish)

its not your pc that you have to worry about , but the router

as it needs a router connection , you have the following options

run a cat 5 cable

connect with 2 homeplugs and 2 ethernet cables

use an openmedia wifi connector

your pc will be used with a usb mem stick to program it from a usb socket

Yoda
15-07-2010, 01:52 PM
Update guys.
I have just connected a 2.5 external HDD 320GB and now its a fully featured PVR total cost £199.00 for Spider + £55.00 for HDD + 11.00 shipping.

Complete HD PVR with CCCAM and Gift for under £270.00 inc VAT and Delivery.

Love it.

Yoda

Friendly-Face
15-07-2010, 01:58 PM
Hhehehe Yoda
same here, i buy a cheap 2,5" HDD of 250 GB added that to the usb port of my PC , converter 10 GB of DVD into AVI added that to my usb on the Spiderbox and voila, i can now see my movies via thia little devil.

i use it even as card server for my self, have a Milenium card here that rusn so smooth with the box, then i share this card into my LAN easly to other boxes and to my Diablo cam, so this box is :champion-018: for so little money

Update guys.
I have just connected a 2.5 external HDD 320GB and now its a fully featured PVR total cost £199.00 for Spider + £55.00 for HDD + 11.00 shipping.

Complete HD PVR with CCCAM and Gift for under £270.00 inc VAT and Delivery.

Love it.

Yoda

Yoda
15-07-2010, 02:34 PM
Yep, amazing.

I am just trying a blind scan now.

Yoda

speedy_04
15-07-2010, 05:50 PM
this box has a very sensitive blind scan function

kdoug007
15-07-2010, 08:21 PM
hiya ,, OK i have looked into the spider 9000 today ( have a techo).. first i do have a BT hub and it has 3 spare ethnet sockets. so as i understand will need x2 home plugs.. i also have a v box that drives my motor dish so that should be ok ..
1. is it easy to do a scan of the channels ,, i never like blind scans as take so long i find , so on my techo i just did it manually with freq.....
2. i understand the FREE GIFT LASTS 12 MONTHS,, BUT SORRY!!! when one downloads a fileupdate ware on the computer does the usb memoary stick! go..?????i do have a spare usb socket on my usb extender??(IE a 4 usb hub)
3, finally is the picture quality on most channels ok..

RABBY
15-07-2010, 08:31 PM
THE BEST BOX I HAVE HAD [ So Simple ] Even I Can get it too Work!!!!:cheers2:

kdoug007?? Picture Quality is SUPER

echelon
15-07-2010, 09:16 PM
hiya ,, OK i have looked into the spider 9000 today ( have a techo).. first i do have a BT hub and it has 3 spare ethnet sockets. so as i understand will need x2 home plugs.. i also have a v box that drives my motor dish so that should be ok ..
1. is it easy to do a scan of the channels ,, i never like blind scans as take so long i find , so on my techo i just did it manually with freq.....
2. i understand the FREE GIFT LASTS 12 MONTHS,, BUT SORRY!!! when one downloads a fileupdate ware on the computer does the usb memoary stick! go..?????i do have a spare usb socket on my usb extender??(IE a 4 usb hub)
3, finally is the picture quality on most channels ok..

scanning is very easy , and relatively quick too

use any usb socket on any pc you have , its only while you put files onto it

pic quality is excellent on every channel

barrysat
15-07-2010, 10:28 PM
Guys,

You know when you visit a shop and get amazing service you feel like telling everyone?

Well that is how I feel today.

I bought the Spiderbox 9000 HD from Goldwafers yesterday and by 13:00 today I was playing with this wonderful new toy.
So firstly thanks to Goldwafers for A+++ service as usual.

OK so I have no reason to be anything but honest regarding this box, I have in the past had dreambox 7000, Azbox HD and built a media PC and I can say with out any doubt this box blows them all away.

It looks good, is small and compact, silent in use, elegant designed menu system, outstanding picture quality, rock stable on cccam (not tried gift ) great looking multi featured remote control that even controls my TV, simple to setup and last but not least easy on the pocket.

I can not remember the last time I was so impressed with a product.

Yoda

PS: I just wanted to post this so anyone who is thinking about this box can share my experiance.

hi yoda
you know me captblack,
its a good box 6months ago lovely spiderbox.

barrysat :respect-040:

Yoda
16-07-2010, 12:47 PM
Guys,

I have now had a few days so for anyone that is interested this is how I have got on with this box.

I am actually just as happy with the Spiderbox 9000 as the day it arrived, it has become my main box and everyone in the house can use it. Unlike my experiance with Linux boxes this actually feels like the box has been created for one purpose and that is to watch TV.
It doesnt have any fancy web browser or youtube client but I have a pc which is much better at doing these tasks anyway.

What it does do very well is display high quality HD and upscaled pictures with amazing results.
I can only compare this to my previous Azbox, and Media PC built around a DVBS2 card from Happauge. I can tell you that the HD image is clear and blur free and the upscaled SD channels double the quality of say my DM7000.

Installation was simple, unpack connect the HDMI cable to your TV then connect the LAN cable to your router and connect you satellite feed and plug it in.

When it boots you will notice that it is lightening fast compared to a linux box and before you know it you are ready to play. The box automatically detected that the highest res for my TV was 1080i and it set itself to this.

The menu system is very well laid out with colours that are bright and highlight the most important information depending on the function you are performing.

If you are using a 4 way DiSEqC switch then select DiSEqC from the menu and select your satellites and the port they are connected to you will even be able to see the signal strength to confirm the satellite is being seen. ( Nice Touch )

Scanning channels took around 20 mins to full scan all these sats 13E 19E 28E and 1W.
At this point I would like to mention that the tuner is amazing, it has given me channels that I have never seen on any other stb.

Take a USB stick and place in in a PC then download the latest patch to the usb stick and put it back in the Spiderbox then open the menu and select USB select the file and watch it load. The box will reboot and its done.

Configuring is just as simple for cccam server deatails and enabling and registering gift.

I purchased a WD 320GB 2.5 USB2 HDD and plugged it into the Spiderbox, pressed record and it worked (it really was that simple) anyone that needs to can format any drive to work by using Menu / USB then Format.

If like me you travel a lot you could disconnect your USB HDD and take it with you and connect it to a laptop, install GOM Player this will then let you play all your recorded TV via a laptop.
Remember that if you have recorded in HD your laptops CPU and graphics need be able to play them back without glitches.

Gom Player
_h**p://download.cnet.com/3001-13632_4-10551786.html?spi=d1128ff6b4560e5 e35020b88adc39c12

The EPG could be a lot better, it only seems to display now and next I dont think I will be using it much especially as now and next are displayed when you change channels anyway.

The channel editor that is available could be better too, it would be nice to be able to change the font type and size.

But hey I am just nitpicking at the end of the day this is by far the best £200.00 I have spent in a long time.

Hope this helps.

Yoda

bazzae123
16-07-2010, 02:21 PM
What's that expression ' The dogs Parts'. I loved my Humax but this is in another league and I've just started to use the home streaming facility to watch all those nice little clips you download to your pc but never watch, its so simple with the spider.

Bazza:seeya:

RABBY
16-07-2010, 07:00 PM
Yoda

Guys,

Gom Player

Hope this helps.

Yoda

Well m8 ? Had most Boxes myself [As You NO ] , Been there Done the LOT ?? This is a SUPER BOX ?? Going to get a [ 3D TV ] NOW :respect-048:

Yoda
16-07-2010, 10:43 PM
Yoda

Well m8 ? Had most Boxes myself [As You NO ] , Been there Done the LOT ?? This is a SUPER BOX ?? Going to get a [ 3D TV ] NOW :respect-048:

Rabby, I am waiting a bit to take the 3D plunge as the cost involved seems to0 high to justify at the moment.

I will look forward to hearing how you get on though.

Yoda

:respect-055:

Satcat
18-07-2010, 07:29 PM
Didn't mean to press 'thanks' for above post, but you can keep it Yoda.

I just want to say that I agree, the Spiderbox 9000 is a great little box and we have had some great improvement made to it with DMs patches (thanks DM and team)
There are however still some niggleing things that need sorting out in the menus.
ie. when you change favourites the box sends the dish off to whatever satellite is top of that favourite list, which isn't ideal, but I'm sure it will be sorted out. (I hope)

mancon
23-07-2010, 09:47 PM
just got my spiderbox 9000 still scatching my head as am green as grass newbie here help me lol want to learn and need to fast

Yoda
23-07-2010, 11:02 PM
just got my spiderbox 9000 still scatching my head as am green as grass newbie here help me lol want to learn and need to fast

We are going to need a bit more information than that mate, what are the problems that you have found?

Yoda

Barney
25-07-2010, 11:05 PM
well @ Yoda i think we dont usually agree about a lot of things but i gotta agree with your review and opinions with spider box 9k HD ,
im really impressed with this stb ive had it now since b4 crimbo not really messed about with it that much but this evening i caught spurs Feed in 10e in HD and it was simply awesome plus now i got spider reading my jsc irdeto card without any problems and using N line 256 i can now finally share my jsc irdeto card with my dmboxes without stoppages as with CCcam it would only last 20mins max then require refresh signal ,
so spiderbox deffo has everything i can see TNA impact! wrestling feed every thursday in HD no difficulty unlike dm800hd .
im really enjoying every min playing with this spider box it really is endless the amount of possibilities and specs and for me i havnt really had any much need to even Use Free Gift as ive just been too buzy exploring its other fantastic features .
its very user friendly suits a motorized system has excellent tuner and quick reboot no real overheating issues i mean what more can be asked of any sat reciever in this day and age ?
hard to find any real fault and as always i gotta respect Darkman he hasnt been wrong all these years .
thnxs for your honest review Yoda .
-------
Barneycarlton

johnhenry
26-07-2010, 12:15 AM
Hi Yoda/barneycarlton i have been reading your reviews the box sounds great ordered my Spider 9000 HD should be with me in couple of days looking forward to using it with my new 32 inch edge lit led HD Pany the picture is fantastic. If all the channels open as stated it will take about 2 weeks to to complete my favorites. Just one question i am abit puzzled about the bit about some opening the gift and other not opening the gift, what are the reasons behind this ? are you both opening your gifts and are some encripted channels opening without the gift, hope this make sense. Best johnhenry :respect-066:

kdoug007
26-07-2010, 12:33 AM
well pleased it all seems so easy!!!! but for less intelligent ones like me... my problems will start with my BT HUB ROUTER.. connect a ethnetlead to a home plug and into the wall..THEN! A ETHNET LEAD FROM THE SPIDER TO THE HOME PLUG INTO THE WALL( PC UPSTAIRS 47"LG TELLIE DOWNSTAIRS"will the signal be ok !!!!! then have to get the free gift on too the spider,, then the patch!!!!! then load all the channels... then find the sat birds!! IS IT REALLY THAT EASY ,

williamtell
26-07-2010, 11:52 AM
ask lee to patch it!!! all you do is 1111 to activate, ps turn caps off please.

kdoug007
26-07-2010, 12:14 PM
hi william.. ok i phoned lee ,, he said because of reasons( you know what i mean) he is not allowed to patch it .. also i asked him /// he said does not come with a free gift!
william would that matter...?
William my question is this ,, ok i install the home plugs ,, upstairs/downstairs and connect spider,,
what would i do next ,, yes i have read the posts and read and read and read!!

echelon
26-07-2010, 12:22 PM
as for homeplugs , they are an ethernet issue not a spiderbox issue

homeplugs use your mains electrical wiring to carry the signal , and should be fine , you can test this by plugging your pc or laptop into the homeplug network and ensuring you can access the internet , if your pc or laptop works ok then so will the spiderbox

kdoug007
26-07-2010, 12:29 PM
tnks Echelon i guess was saying does not come with a " free gift" would that matter?

williamtell
26-07-2010, 12:43 PM
hi kdoug i have given you as much info re spider as i possibly know both pm and on here, its up to you if you want to take the plunge or move on.

echelon
26-07-2010, 12:55 PM
tnks Echelon i guess was saying does not come with a " free gift" would that matter?

I would have thought that the one sold by the sponsors would be the one with the gift

the point here being that normally the customer ( YOU ) would activate it , NOT THE RETAILER , so once it comes it may be YOU that has to patch it and activate the gift for it to work over the net to access the gift servers

dont expect all the work to be done for you , activating the gift is your responsibilty

same as if you buy a cake mix from tesco or asda , they dont come and make it for you , that is up to your home cooking abilities , and reading the instructions supplied with the cake mix , and having all the right tools and knowhow ;)

buy a car and you dont get a chauffeur with it , its up to you to learn to drive it , fill it up with petrol , and get tax and insurance etc

kdoug007
26-07-2010, 12:59 PM
i agree 100% but LEE said a free gift is not included.. so as far as im concerned thats the end of the matter,, pity

williamtell
26-07-2010, 01:05 PM
a free gift maybe not but "GIFT" i.e whats open on spider package is surely in the purchase, [unless it has recently been truncated].

echelon
26-07-2010, 01:32 PM
i agree 100% but LEE said a free gift is not included.. so as far as im concerned thats the end of the matter,, pity

this one here

https://www.goldwafers.co.uk/SpiderBox-9000-HD-1CA-2CI-2USB-PVR-with-Ethernet.html

can be patched with the "gift" patch and so will get the gift channels once its been done by you

on the other hand , I dont think there will be any "free gifts" included ;)

Tmull
26-07-2010, 07:08 PM
Early on customers had a choice of the Spiderbox either with the Gift or without. There was a difference in price as far as I can remember. It is a great receiver but would be greatly diminished if the Gift is not included. If you bought it with the Gift as far as I know it would not work until you registered it. Possably without the Gift it could not be registered. I am not one hundred percent on this as I now have mine for six months and have not kept up to date.TMULL

kdoug007
26-07-2010, 07:32 PM
emm i rather get it from the sponser.. but if a free gift was not included. i dont see my options but look else ware,,
and yep i have bought things from the sponser,
GREAT START!!

Gone_Fishing
26-07-2010, 08:23 PM
Can someone put this whole gift thing to bed because anyone reading this is going to get confused including me and anyone who's considering buying this box might think twice about using the sponsor

My understanding is the gift not being included when purchased from the sponser only means that the patch isn't installed but has to be installed by the owner once installed it will be no different than if you bought from somewhere they advertise with gift as being included ????

TNT

Satcat
26-07-2010, 08:39 PM
Can someone put this whole gift thing to bed because anyone reading this is going to get confused including me and anyone who's considering buying this box might think twice about using the sponsor

My understanding is the gift not being included when purchased from the sponser only means that the patch isn't installed but has to be installed by the owner once installed it will be no different than if you bought from somewhere they advertise with gift as being included ????

TNT

I agree. Just get one bought from our spnoncer doug (Keith). you wont regret it.

hda5
27-07-2010, 12:37 PM

TNT

That's correct mate.

The user has to patch the box first before they can use the gift.

echelon
27-07-2010, 12:50 PM
That's correct mate.

The user has to patch the box first before they can use the gift.

which is what I and others have been saying all along , and is the same with any box you buy , including his tm6800

thanks for the clarification m8 ;)