PDA

View Full Version : Any further news on current FW developments?

stubs
16-07-2010, 10:22 AM
Does anyone in the know have any further news on upcoming firmware releases or developments on the Icecrypt S4000HD? The forum seems to have gone a bit stail again.

I'm waiting for the next firmware release, as I've been informed it will include a feature allowing the box to be woken from standby with a "0" keypress - handy for my Pronto Macro's

But, I've also been told of a posisble 7-day EPG development and I've very itchy to get this running... I'm really not enjoying the lack of this on the box and have considered selling and buying a VU+ duo to replace it.

Does anyone have any idea when either of these features will become available to our boxes?

mgluby
16-07-2010, 10:51 AM
I agree there seems to be nothing happening development wise. Keep this box alive or it will become a freeview PVR box.

Tarzan
16-07-2010, 12:13 PM
I'm really not enjoying the lack of this on the box and have considered selling and buying a VU+ duo to replace it.

I sold mine and got the VU+ Duo for this reason...

Not that I have anything against this receiver but I have seen similar receivers where support goes down after a few initial software releases, especially where the receivers are "clones" of other receivers.

When I bought the receiver, I was told there would be 2 firmware releases every month depending on the amount of fixes released against the firmware.

stubs
16-07-2010, 01:20 PM
Tarzan,

How's the EPG in terms of ease of use when compaired to that of the EPG used on the Sky+ boxes?

Is the interface nice & simple, and is it easy to setup a recording etc...?

I'm trying to get a solution that allows the features of an aftermarket box, with the simplicity of a Sky box - for the missus you see.

steford
16-07-2010, 02:01 PM
I sold mine and got the VU+ Duo for this reason...

Not that I have anything against this receiver but I have seen similar receivers where support goes down after a few initial software releases, especially where the receivers are "clones" of other receivers.

When I bought the receiver, I was told there would be 2 firmware releases every month depending on the amount of fixes released against the firmware.

How are you finding the Vu+ Duo? The Icecrypt is just about doing it for me currently but still can't do everything in the 1 box - I just bought a router I intend to flash to use as a card server. Was thinking the Vu+ Duo was just a little more than I wanted to spend (£150 more than the Icecrypt) but if it solves all the issues I'd consider it. Just need to be sure it's going to read my cards, make reliable recordings and be wife friendly in its basic usage (I don't expect her to SSH to it!!).

stubs
16-07-2010, 02:17 PM
It's a crying shame really... I think they'd stomp all over the VU+ duo with a 7-day epg.
I need to try and have a play with the VU+ but I'm pretty sure it's ticking all my requirements right now. Think it may be time......

ian51
16-07-2010, 02:31 PM
I've been playing around with E2 again this week and I really liked the HD Freaks version which allows you to use the Rytec EPG files and CCCam. But I wasn't happy with a USB stick on the front of my STB and found it a bit slow.
I have now changed over to AAF version loaded into flash using ART. This is very stable and I get a really great 14 day EPG. Mgcam connects very nicely to my DM500 Lan server running cccam and is not too bad connecting to a payserver. The problems I haven't fixed yet are are the ability to record one channel while watching another, but it's probably the way I've set things up. I can't see a way to choose which tuner is is for recording and which for watching. I've also not managed to figure out how to configure Oscamd, so I can't say how well that works.
As far as HD picture quality is concerned, I'm sure there are purists out there who will say there's a difference, but as far as I'm concerned the picture is just great.
I certainly wouldn't give up on this box yet, because for the price of a DM800 clone I've got a half decent twin tuner E2 box. With the ART Recovery tool you can always go back to the original firmware and settings.

Please remember usual health warnings about bricking your own box.

stubs
16-07-2010, 02:31 PM
A web interface would also be nice... to allow remote recordings to be setup etc...
I see this too is available on the VU+ duo

stubs
16-07-2010, 02:34 PM
I've been playing around with E2 again this week and I really liked the HD Freaks version which allows you to use the Rytec EPG files and CCCam. But I wasn't happy with a USB stick on the front of my STB and found it a bit slow.
I have now changed over to AAF version loaded into flash using ART. This is very stable and I get a really great 14 day EPG. Mgcam connects very nicely to my DM500 Lan server running cccam and is not too bad connecting to a payserver. The problems I haven't fixed yet are are the ability to record one channel while watching another, but it's probably the way I've set things up. I can't see a way to choose which tuner is is for recording and which for watching. I've also not managed to figure out how to configure Oscamd, so I can't say how well that works.
As far as HD picture quality is concerned, I'm sure there are purists out there who will say there's a difference, but as far as I'm concerned the picture is just great.
I certainly wouldn't give up on this box yet, because for the price of a DM800 clone I've got a half decent twin tuner E2 box. With the ART Recovery tool you can always go back to the original firmware and settings.

Please remember usual health warnings about bricking your own box.

Thanks for this enlightening reply...
Re: my last post, can you now use a web interface too?
I'm very interested in trying this this weekend, last shot before I get rid of the box.
Please can you point me in the direction of the files I would need to setup the same way you have?

Cheers,
Stu

ian51
16-07-2010, 02:55 PM
Thanks for this enlightening reply...
Re: my last post, can you now use a web interface too?
I'm very interested in trying this this weekend, last shot before I get rid of the box.
Please can you point me in the direction of the files I would need to setup the same way you have?

Cheers,
Stu

First Stu, have a look here https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?t=132717
There is a very good guide there and it will also direct you to the German AAF forum for all your files and images. If you use google chrome it will automatically translate into "Ingrish" for you.
There is a web interface plugin, but I haven't tried it yet.

Give it a go, I did and I'm having fun and I don't have a clue about Linux or E2.
:cheers2:
Ian

stubs
16-07-2010, 03:03 PM
Cheers Ian!
Hopefully I can have a play this weekend whilst she's out on Hen do's and stuff.

Before I delve into the pdf's and the link on there.. can I ask which EPG you are running? Or does it come as part of an E2 package?

Sorry for all the questions, just that I'm at work and unable to view everything right now.

Thanks again! fingers crossed it might restore my faith in the box

Tarzan
16-07-2010, 03:18 PM
Tarzan,

How's the EPG in terms of ease of use when compaired to that of the EPG used on the Sky+ boxes?

Is the interface nice & simple, and is it easy to setup a recording etc...?

I'm trying to get a solution that allows the features of an aftermarket box, with the simplicity of a Sky box - for the missus you see.

Currently there is no box in the market which comes any close to the Sky receiver...

The VU+ Duo coupled with the OpenPli image and Rytek EPG does some of the things you find in the Sky receiver.

Regarding EPG, it depends the EPG available for that particular channel..

I stumbled upon the "series link" option when I was pressing some keys around... Basically it's not a simple straight forward option like the Sky series link but it's better than entering the time manually.

You go to any channel, press the EPG button, press EPG again and press OK. And if available, it will list all the dates and times of that particular program to be broadcast again.. You go and add the timer by pressing green button on the remote for all the times you want to record.

The other feature of the box, which I was amazed was, I was watching an HD channel and recording an SD channel at the same time... I went to Windows, connected to the box in file explorer and started copying a mkv file across and I was suprised to see the file being transfered at the full 11MBps (100 mps) speed. I tried the same in the Icecrypt S4000HD and it transfered at a Max 5MBps if I was not watching any channels and the moment I started watching any channel then the speed dropped drastically.

Another amazing feature of the VU+Duo is the WebTV... Am totally zapped by it.. it may have been borrowed from the DM but even HD channels both free and encrypted work very well..

But I was expecting some of the features like PIP, 1080p output etc from a receiver which costs £399

Tarzan
16-07-2010, 03:22 PM
but if it solves all the issues I'd consider it. Just need to be sure it's going to read my cards, make reliable recordings and be wife friendly in its basic usage (I don't expect her to SSH to it!!).

I don't know what issues you have had but for me it has still not failed one recording to date and I can access the HDD from Windows and play it in Vlc player directly...

Regarding wife friendly it all depends on which image you use (I use Pli image) and I have taught my 6yr old son to use it..

The live pause works like a charm on the VU+ Duo and my son uses this feature a lot..

Tarzan
16-07-2010, 03:23 PM
A web interface would also be nice... to allow remote recordings to be setup etc...
I see this too is available on the VU+ duo

Yes and it works great but you only have to make sure that the recordings don't clash...

ian51
16-07-2010, 04:48 PM
Cheers Ian!
Hopefully I can have a play this weekend whilst she's out on Hen do's and stuff.

Before I delve into the pdf's and the link on there.. can I ask which EPG you are running? Or does it come as part of an E2 package?

Sorry for all the questions, just that I'm at work and unable to view everything right now.

Thanks again! fingers crossed it might restore my faith in the box

There are a couple of installed plugins that you need to activate for the EPG. CrossEPG and EPGRefesh you can then set it to automatically run and how many days to down load and where to save to. It took me a couple of goes to get it working, but once I'd deleted all the channels I didn't want it looks great.
Just tried the Web Interface (AAF E2 WebControl) it's really easy to use and seems to do everything you could want.

Midnight R
20-07-2010, 01:04 PM
So has the Icecrypt support died or what?

steford1
20-07-2010, 03:21 PM
I don't know what issues you have had but for me it has still not failed one recording to date and I can access the HDD from Windows and play it in Vlc player directly...

Regarding wife friendly it all depends on which image you use (I use Pli image) and I have taught my 6yr old son to use it..

The live pause works like a charm on the VU+ Duo and my son uses this feature a lot..

The Icecrypt has been the most reliable recording STB I've had to date. I've had some shockers though in the past - the Topfield TF7710HDPVR and the FortecStar Zeta Twin to name but 2. As the majority of the time it's sitting there recording my wife's stuff this has to be reliable for me - ideally just recording the stream regardless of whether card is present or not (Topfield killed the entire recording if card status changed or any other CAM or card was inserted!!) As everyone's setup and situation is different it's always hard getting reliable advice on a new receiver.

jacksback
20-07-2010, 03:23 PM
Hopefully not or this will be the last Fortis box I buy

mgluby
20-07-2010, 04:25 PM
I'm starting to think it has died. There's been no development in a long while and the usual suspects who provide us with info have gone silent. Seriously considering selling it.

mickeydebo
20-07-2010, 07:00 PM
Mines been turned off about a month now.
It was advertised that it had weekly epg, and yes its got it, but wrong satellite so back in the box for icecrypt

dizz
20-07-2010, 08:06 PM
They should have concentrated all the development budget creating a working plugin and epg. Everyone would be happy then. Given how long the box has been around for now, I can see why people are getting frustrated and starting to give up.

If they had done this the other stuff would then have come from the enthusiasts, even more so if they released the source code.

The box still has great picture quality and does pretty much what I want, but I would guess that if they don't sort the other stuff out pronto it's going to be quickly superseded by the competition.

steford
21-07-2010, 03:35 PM
They should have concentrated all the development budget creating a working plugin and epg. Everyone would be happy then. Given how long the box has been around for now, I can see why people are getting frustrated and starting to give up.

If they had done this the other stuff would then have come from the enthusiasts, even more so if they released the source code.

The box still has great picture quality and does pretty much what I want, but I would guess that if they don't sort the other stuff out pronto it's going to be quickly superseded by the competition.

There's a v31 out today for Octagon so we should see it shortly. No need to write off the box prematurely. EPGs are always hit and miss on non official platforms and not at the top of my priority to be honest. I may take the plunge with this one depending on reports of its stability.

denton
21-07-2010, 08:07 PM
There's a v31 out today for Octagon so we should see it shortly. No need to write off the box prematurely. EPGs are always hit and miss on non official platforms and not at the top of my priority to be honest. I may take the plunge with this one depending on reports of its stability.

Loaded and tested today and it seems OK. Can't see any obvious changes. (from 1.09.09, which is the last that worked for me).
So far it seems to save my settings, which the last 3 firmwares did not.
Will run through a few timers tonight and see what that does.

Denton

plaskotki
23-07-2010, 12:35 PM
has anybody tested v31 with Mcas plugin?? is PIP working ok?

berliner
23-07-2010, 06:02 PM
PIP works ok, watching 2 bulsat channes at the moment through MCAS plug in, as Diablo crashed as usual within a few minutes.

Prevuious FW did not let me watch 2 scrambled channels.

echelon
24-07-2010, 12:18 AM
this new 1.08.31 firmware wont recognise the same firmware on my usb stick , or my previous backups like my channel list

I also found my channel list in a right mess too

so I dont seem able to go backwards with the firmwares , or import an old channel list either

just starting a rescan from scratch at the moment

dizz
24-07-2010, 09:24 AM
Yes, I was a bit miffed to lose my lovingly created channel lists. Also I noticed that the rescan has pulled up a load of feeds that I must have got rid of before.

ManikM
27-07-2010, 01:04 PM
the developers need their arses kicked for the channel list bug, there are feeds i have stored that i need to be around when they are active to scan in, which ive done with a few days off here and there...now i need to do it again - great larf.