PDA

View Full Version : Could Sly HD Subs disappear!?

everclear
22-07-2010, 09:12 PM
Looks like SlyHD is changing for the better..... The end of Sly HD subscriptions?? Lets hope so!! :respect-050:

A friend received a sly email yesterday:

Making your Sky even better

At Sky, we're always looking to bring you the best choice, value and service. Over the past year, we've launched 9 new HD channels including E4 HD and Sky News HD, taking the full HD line-up to over 40 channels. The number of HD channels we offer keeps growing and growing and by Christmas you could access up to 50 HD channels, which is the UK's widest range of HD channels, offering an unrivalled choice of amazing programmes in high definition.

This autumn, there will be a new way to watch television - Sky 3D. And the great news is Sky World HD customers* will be able to watch it through their existing Sky+HD box with a 3D ready TV, and enjoy great sports, movies and entertainment in amazing 3D. To find out more, visit *********

Important changes to your HD service
We also wanted to let you know that on or around the 5th October 2010, we are changing the way we offer our HD channels by aligning them to your Sky TV subscription. For example, to enjoy great HD dramas on Sky1 HD, you would need to have the Variety Pack which includes Sky1; and you'll need the Knowledge Pack to watch those beautiful HD do***entaries on National Geographic HD and Discovery HD. Please get in touch if you want to discuss your current TV package or upgrade to any other Entertainment Packs currently from just £1 extra per month.

We hope that everything is clear and that you carry on enjoying all the great programmes and services you get with Sky.

Kind regards, The Sky Team

My interpretation of this statement, as well as reading from other forums etc. :-

........ as of the 5th October 2010, you will not only be able to view the SD channels of the package you pay for but if there is an HD version of that channel in your package, you will be able to view that channel without an additional sub. EG. if you have the basic package you will be able to watch Sky 1 HD, FX HD, E4 HD etc. at the same cost you are currently paying. If you also have the music package added to your subs, you will be able to view MTV HD at no extra cost and so on....

However if you don't subscribe to the movie channels you will obviously not get the HD movies package.

In summary, whatever channels you are currently watching within your Sly package - if there is an HD version as well, you will be able to view that channel from Oct 5th at no extra cost.

If you are still in the minimum term of the Sly HD contract (12 months), you may still have to pay the HD subscription until your contract expires. (this could be wrong - probably could argue this with them anyway...) You will also have to check that when these changes take place, you will not lose any of your HD channels that you are currently receiving for free. EG. if you only subscribe to the basic package with HD subs, the chances are you will lose MTV HD, ARTS HD etc. (which you should currently be getting with HD subs) unless you contact them to let them know you are currently receiving those channels.

On the whole I think this looks to be a good move forward - a possible saving of £120 a year!

any comments on this? anyone disagree with my interpretation?

everclear

BOOGIBEAR
22-07-2010, 10:37 PM
about time if it's true,they(sly) have been phoning me trying to get me back,and the above reasons is why ive not gone with em,best offer so far is free sly+hd+25m&s coupons 12month contact though,i said no and told em why very politely:puke::driving:

xanadu
22-07-2010, 11:21 PM
Isn't it October when they normally increase the prices? :rolleyes:

Just found this on another forum...

"You will pay £10 for the HD package and you will only get the channels that you subscribe to in your Mixes.
For example if you don;t take the knowledge pack and wanted to watch History HD you would have to pay the £1 extra for this mix."

So it is just a way to make more money!

Barney
22-07-2010, 11:57 PM
Sky Have without any doubt are the Worlds Largest Payserver Run by incompetent Retads there is nothing in this World "Free" especially when it involves Sky tv you can be sure about that fact ,
i can give 1 example earlier this year i tried to order wwe wrestlemania 26 on sky box office but the stoopid retad i spoke to on the phone wasnt even aware that sky box office were showing/broadcasting this event , lmao !!
but money was taken in under 24hrs of my phone call and i still had to end up calling again to order it and try explain to retad #2 that i was already charged for this event even though i could only see a scramble channl message on my sky box they still took payment again and failed to offer any refund even tho' they are drunk with power and £££'s they still will always continue to take but give absolutley nothing .

thats my 2 cents .

@BoogieBear ..fair play m8 i dont blame you at all you made rite decision .

cheers ,
-------
Barneycarlton

Plessy
23-07-2010, 12:44 AM
Looks like SlyHD is changing for the better..... The end of Sly HD subscriptions?? Lets hope so!! :respect-050:

A friend received a sly email yesterday:

Making your Sky even better

At Sky, we're always looking to bring you the best choice, value and service. Over the past year,
We hope that everything is clear and that you carry on enjoying all the great programmes and services you get with Sky.

Kind regards, The Sky Team

My interpretation of this statement, as well as reading from other forums etc. :-

However if you don't subscribe to the movie channels you will obviously not get the HD movies package.

[B]In summary, whatever channels you are currently watching within your Sly package -

- a possible saving of £120 a year!
----------------------------------------------------------------

That is what You Pay In the First Place To Sign Up !

any comments on this? anyone disagree with my interpretation?

everclear

Plessy !

No Such Thing as a Free Diner !:beatdeadhorse5:

kdoug007
23-07-2010, 12:50 AM
sorry i think you have it actually wrong!!!!!!!
at the moment i pay £10 a month and get all the hd channelsyep including nat geo channels .HOWEVER,, AFTER 5 OCTOBER,, unless i subscribe to them in STANDARD IE £1 PMONTH I wont get in hd!! IF I DONT SUBSCRIBE TO SLY SPORTS WONT GET IN HD!! ETC,,,,,

SO TO SUM UP ITS £10 PM FOR HD CHANNELS only those u subscribe too,, NOTHINGS FREE .

Plessy
23-07-2010, 01:15 AM
A Penny A Month Or A Pound a Month !

We Got you Hook Line and Sinker !

Pay Pay Pay... That is all their interested in.........
Don't you see Yearly ?

bonovox
23-07-2010, 03:24 AM
Also I'm not sure if its been reported on here but Sky Sports News will no longer be on the freeview service in the coming weeks after it goes HD, it will be part of the pay service that will be on freeview (mmmmm freeview, there gonna have to change that name I think). It might not be a big loss to freeview viewers but thats the way sky are.

echelon
23-07-2010, 08:07 AM
at the moment i pay £10 a month and get all the hd channelsyep including nat geo channels .HOWEVER,, AFTER 5 OCTOBER,, unless i subscribe to them in STANDARD IE £1 PMONTH I wont get in hd!! IF I DONT SUBSCRIBE TO SLY SPORTS WONT GET IN HD!! ETC,,,,,

SO TO SUM UP ITS £10 PM FOR HD CHANNELS only those u subscribe too,, NOTHINGS FREE .

I agree with the above interpretation of the new service too

anybody signing up now or changing to HD has to pay £10 per month for a minimum 12 months for the HD channels , and they get the same HD channels added that are in the package they are paying for , and after 12 months you continue to pay £10 per month if you want to retain the HD channels.

so if you pay for the family pack they add the relevant HD channels to your package , meaning you get sky1HD and fxHD etc

but its still £10 per month to have the HD channels , which is similar to what they did with sky plus , when they charged you an extra £10 per month for sky plus

so my interpretation is that they will charge you £10 per month for HD , and you get whatever HD channels exist that are already in your SD package , which is what they already do with people I know who have just got the HD plusbox installed

TonyO
23-07-2010, 10:13 AM
STY and the word free dont belong in the same sentance, since they went digital they havn't had a penny out of me.

everclear
23-07-2010, 10:19 AM
oh don't say that..... looks like I totally missed what they were saying. Wishful thinking I suppose...... I thought this latest move was to go against Virgin Media's latest adverts saying 'you don't pay extra for HD with Virgin Media'.

No wonder they were not making a bigger song and dance about this....

NOT GOOD NEWS THEN!

So with the usual annual September increase, you will actually get less for more.......

everclear

snaps
23-07-2010, 10:41 AM
you guys are lucky in the UK, In Ireland each mix is going up to €2 each and we have a €15 HD pack charge! Its getting rediculous here the price here for Sky sports+ESPN+HD pack is €108 a month. Stupid money. Oh and we still have Setanta which is another 16€ a month!!

Sky sports news is also leaving the News pack to go to the sports pack, but Sky are cunning as they have Eurosport in the news pack. They seem to have all areas covered.

Its a shame that the BBC or ESPN cant start their own full time Sports news channel up, FTA or FTV like Setanta news used to be.

Once Sky have you by the balls, thats it.

A survey done here, asked people what they thought they were paying annually for their pay TV, 75% thought they were paying 300-400€ a year.....Imagine their shock when they actually found out it was averaging 800-900€ a year! Some people are paying 1200€+!!!!

The beauty of direct debits, you keep on paying them and dont realise how much you are actually paying, unlike physical bills that come through the door!

everclear
23-07-2010, 10:57 AM
The beauty of direct debits, you keep on paying them and dont realise how much you are actually paying, unlike physical bills that come through the door!

so very true.... I think a lot of people don't do the math : 12 x £61 = a lot of money!!

everclear

rigsby
23-07-2010, 11:06 AM
As Sky have Eurosport in the News pack, surely they can be taken to court as this is clearly not a news channel as this is false advertising ?

Surely a breach of the trades decription act ?

Eurosport = News .... NO NO NO (Get them in court)

denis1501
23-07-2010, 11:18 AM
That €15 (£10) HD sub is the biggest con ever. Tell them to stick it where the sun don't shine!
Here in Italy with Sky Italia I can get any 2 mixes + Sport + HD for €29 (£24) a month. If I don't want Sport I can have either Cinema or Calcio (football) instead for the same price. That's all the matches Sly UK, ESPN and Setanta show, plus a whole lot more.
You guys in Ireland and the UK are just being ripped off.

Plessy
23-07-2010, 11:53 PM

-------------------------------------------------------------

Are HotBird Signals Working in Your End of ther Sat RX 2nite ?.....

See You put another post Claiming the Same Problems ? i.e.LOW SIGNAL ON DORCEL TV.........................

Best Regards: PLessy:respect-051:

Plessy
24-07-2010, 12:08 AM
I agree with the above interpretation of the new service too

anybody signing up now or changing to HD has to pay £10 per month for a minimum 12 months for the HD channels , and they get the same HD channels added that are in the package they are paying for , and after 12 months you continue to pay £10 per month if you want to retain the HD channels.

so if you pay for the family pack they add the relevant HD channels to your package , meaning you get sky1HD and fxHD etc

but its still £10 per month to have the HD channels , which is similar to what they did with sky plus , when they charged you an extra £10 per month for sky plus

so my interpretation is that they will charge you £10 per month for HD , and you get whatever HD channels exist that are already in your SD package , which is what they already do with people I know who have just got the HD plusbox installed

Sorry Echelon,,,,,

10 X 12 = A lot of Money for a Basic System, Ignoring the ins and outs of Audio,Picture Quality etc etc,,,

Shure Sly Will Put it's STAMP in Your LetterBox.

But I Choose Not to pay for this as Lets Face it !

Down through the years We watch repeats Upon Repeats, Yes The Picture Quality has been Advance Humorously, but should we be paying hard sp[ondulax to watch this second hand cr*p "over and over"?.

For Me ?

NOT JUSTIFIABLE after being made redundant....

And To those of you who currently Enjoy the Bank Manager nipping from your wallet........?

Well then I hope it lasts forever.....!

No Offence anyone :respect-020:

It isn't my Direct Debit Account that will suffer as as a result of this Post......:rant:

Let everyone to their own...............

Must Blow some dust off these Old Marantz Spearkers Hooked to an Old INKEL-MA-320 Amp. and get another beer from the refrigerator.....

Night All..........................

kdoug007
24-07-2010, 01:06 AM
PLESSY THE FOOTNOTE OF YOUR POSt GOT ME A WEE BIT CONFUSED,, RE HOTBIRD THE LAST 6 DAYS THE SIGNAL HAS BEEN A POOR 34!!!( at lease ware i live in hertfordshire)! that said tonight it went to 71!!!!!! somethings changed by the broadcaster ( thank fully)

echelon
24-07-2010, 01:54 AM

Sorry Echelon,,,,,

10 X 12 = A lot of Money for a Basic System, Ignoring the ins and outs of Audio,Picture Quality etc etc,,,

Shure Sly Will Put it's STAMP in Your LetterBox.

But I Choose Not to pay for this as Lets Face it !

Down through the years We watch repeats Upon Repeats, Yes The Picture Quality has been Advance Humorously, but should we be paying hard sp[ondulax to watch this second hand cr*p "over and over"?.

For Me ?

NOT JUSTIFIABLE after being made redundant....

And To those of you who currently Enjoy the Bank Manager nipping from your wallet........?

Well then I hope it lasts forever.....!

No Offence anyone :respect-020:

It isn't my Direct Debit Account that will suffer as as a result of this Post......:rant:

Let everyone to their own...............

Must Blow some dust off these Old Marantz Spearkers Hooked to an Old INKEL-MA-320 Amp. and get another beer from the refrigerator.....

Night All..........................

I was telling members the facts as I see them for UK subscribers only

I have no interest in what you spend your money on in eire , or dont spend it on either , that is your personal business and has nothing to do with the thread itself

anyone who does not want to pay sly , dont !! simple as that

anyone wanting clarification , they are basically aligning your HD channels to your paid for SD pack , but I believe they will still charge £10 a month for HD if you require it , or they wont charge you if you revert to SD only as you previously were on ( after your minimum contract expires ) , and they wont charge you a penny if you let your contract lapse or expire , or you insist they cut you off instead ;)

waverider
24-07-2010, 08:13 AM
There is only one way to teach sky not to take subscribers for granted, and that is to hit them where it hurts most, for everybody to cancell their subscriptions.

I cannot because i dont have one nor am i likely to.

snaps
24-07-2010, 09:55 AM
That €15 (£10) HD sub is the biggest con ever. Tell them to stick it where the sun don't shine!
Here in Italy with Sky Italia I can get any 2 mixes + Sport + HD for €29 (£24) a month. If I don't want Sport I can have either Cinema or Calcio (football) instead for the same price. That's all the matches Sly UK, ESPN and Setanta show, plus a whole lot more.
You guys in Ireland and the UK are just being ripped off.

I would love a Sky Italia sub, shame that the 3rd party suppliers are charging 800€+ for one!!

BOOGIBEAR
24-07-2010, 01:11 PM
me too:drool5:

ozzsurf
24-07-2010, 03:16 PM
I would love a Sky Italia sub, shame that the 3rd party suppliers are charging 800€+ for one!!

@snaps have you got a technomate 6900 super

RABBY
24-07-2010, 03:58 PM
I Have the Full Package! From SKY [ All Sky Channels+HD +ESPN , Broadband , Phone Line [Free Calls ] ect ect ??? Costs A Small Fortune a Month ?? But saves me with the Broadband + Phone Calls ECT ECT ?? One Package is GOOD FOR ME:)

SPIDERBOX HD 9000[ Gives me Extra ]LOL

Plessy
25-07-2010, 01:35 AM
I was telling members the facts as I see them for UK subscribers only

I have no interest in what you spend your money on in eire , or dont spend it on either , that is your personal business and has nothing to do with the thread itself

anyone who does not want to pay sly , dont !! simple as that

anyone wanting clarification , they are basically aligning your HD channels to your paid for SD pack , but I believe they will still charge £10 a month for HD if you require it , or they wont charge you if you revert to SD only as you previously were on ( after your minimum contract expires ) , and they wont charge you a penny if you let your contract lapse or expire , or you insist they cut you off instead ;)
Yes Echelon !
I kind of agree with you regarding "The Explaining it to Everyone" Bit,

But I still think its crazy money if you are not aware of what your box is doing when its plugged into the phone line( A System which never worked down here) in the past, but I would think that there are/were many people Unaware or well aware of the PPV Channels in the past when you had £5 prepaid credit in the box ...... Now.......

this to a bored teen might seem like great fun at the time until dad lost his job and then the phone bill arrives by the post (prepaid of course).....

Luckily for me its only a Hobby !:cheers2:

Plessy
25-07-2010, 01:51 AM
"they wont charge you a penny if you let your contract lapse or expire , or you insist they cut you off instead".

they might/will/possibly send you junk mail for a year afterwards as i received........
Cant complain though, burns with lovely colours in the stove...

choks
25-07-2010, 03:01 AM
so very true.... I think a lot of people don't do the math : 12 x £61 = a lot of money!!

everclear
and a nother thin is if you don't pay by driret deb and pay by trancash at post office they chrah £4 exter what a rip off:banghead::respect-057:

bbeef
29-07-2010, 03:17 PM

everclear

You didnt do the math also, I did its £732 :rofl:

afterlife
29-07-2010, 04:10 PM
732 pounds per month-Thats the net figure-Gross is closer to 878 pounds out of your yearly salary.
Whats wrong with you people-have you got money to throw away.

Detlef
05-08-2010, 01:57 AM
And now we hear that the HD versions of ITV2, 3, 4 will be subscription.

Good job I'm happy with RTL, SAT1, Pro7, Vox, ARD and ZDF - oh! and of course BBC1 and BBC2 plus the red button.

Detlef
05-08-2010, 02:02 AM
. . . . . Its a shame that the BBC or ESPN cant start their own full time Sports news channel up, FTA or FTV like Setanta news used to be. . . . . . . .

You are half way there with the BBC Red button on Sat (and go to page 3001, Sport multiscreen). It usually has a rolling sport news section except when it is showing a load of current sport TV.

kdoug007
05-08-2010, 02:12 AM
after life,,,,, do you remember ( if a certain age) when there was just bbc 1!!!! there was no live football... sly have loads of soccer this year,, . how much do u spend in the pub every year!!!!

Satcat
05-08-2010, 10:22 AM
I would rather spend my money in the pub than on TV Subscriptions.

:cheers2:

Detlef
05-08-2010, 11:57 AM
after life,,,,, do you remember ( if a certain age) when there was just bbc 1!!!! there was no live football... sly have loads of soccer this year,, . how much do u spend in the pub every year!!!!

Not sure I'd agree. All the top Cup matches were shown, mostly live, "They think it's all over, it is now . . .!"

Test cricket was on,, live.