PDA

View Full Version : Can a TM-6800HD control a 36v positioner?

TheGod
30-07-2010, 09:05 PM
Today I have removed my 1m dish and installed a 1.2m. Also removed my Stab motor and replaced it with a positioner (GBox) and an actuator.

I have tried the new setup as follows:

(i) Connecting LNB directly to TM-6800HD and using positioner to move dish: WORKS FINE

(ii) Conencting LNB to positioner and positioner to TM-6800HD. TM-6800HD displays LNB Fault! Note: Setting is 1.2.

Am I doing someting wrong or perhaps the TM-6800HD cannot control a positioner?

Giga
31-07-2010, 06:26 AM
LNB direct still working = cable problem?
using correct ports on positioner? lnb > lnb, receiver > receiver?

TheGod
31-07-2010, 06:51 AM
LNB direct still working = cable problem?
using correct ports on positioner? lnb > lnb, receiver > receiver?

On back of positioner (GBOX V3000) there are two ports: LNB and receiver

Manual says: LNB = Connect to LNB / Receiver = Connect to Receiver

So using a coax cable I connected TM-6800 (LNB Input) to GBOX (Receiver port) but like that does not work. How should the TM be setup? 1.2 or USALS in this case? (I tried both and always LNB fault error)

Giga
31-07-2010, 07:27 AM
don't know about GBOX V3000.
allways disconnect power before working on coax connections
drive using the separate way the dish at 19.2 or 28.2 so you have reception on FTA channel.
power off everything
connect coax receiver - GBOX V3000 - LNB
power on and select the same channel: you should have a picture. If not there is a problem: signal should pass from LNB to receiver. Check cable between receiver and GBOX V3000 for short or loss? If you have a double female f-connector:
http://satellite.ie/acatalog/F_double_female.jpg
Disconnect GBOX V3000 and connect 2 coaxes together, if you have picture now: GBOX V3000 problem: check manual for possible problems and solutions
Once you have picture with GBOX V3000 you can drive it either with diseqc 1.2 or usals (program on receiver that calculates sat locations and passes diseqc 1.2 to the motor)

Burnham
31-07-2010, 08:16 AM
I agree with Giga post above, save for one small point - USALS does not work with a vBox and a linear actuator, only use DiSEqC 1.2.

Sounds to me like a faulty vBox if all your LNB F plugs connections are sound (note: the GBOX V3000 is a brand name for a vBox).

TheGod
31-07-2010, 06:43 PM
Ok, problem solved, I just changed the LNB connector because appearently the one that I was using before was not fitting too well into back of the GBox. I have noticed that if the TM-6800HD starts to show the LNB Fault error, it is not enough that you fix the connection (it will still keep on showing the error). So, after fixing that (connector) I had to turn off the receiver and turn it on again before receiver realised there was now a signal! Thanks to Giga and Burnham for the help :)

On another note I wanted to let everyone know that an actuator+big heavy dish is the best choice for strong winds. Before with 90cm dish and STAB motor, the dish used to move a lot when very windy. With my new setup, the dish does not move at all and at the moment it's very windy :)