PDA

View Full Version : Sports on TopUp TV

Kipper2
05-08-2010, 06:25 PM
Hi, I dont know how much interest there is in this terrestrial question: TopUp TV wont allow subscription to Sky Sports via a CAM in back of TV because it is considered 'insecure' by Sky. Is this just a restrictive practice by Sly to make it difficult for TopUp TV (Ofcom ruled against Sly) or are the TopUp CAMs compromised? I subscribe to ESPN via one and it's the first I've heard of this. I dont want another box instead of using my perfectly working CAM.
I apologise if this is in breach of rule 3 but I dont think it is because Sly are concerned about some other company's encryption security, it is not theirs being discussed here.
Cheers

bobothebear
05-08-2010, 06:28 PM
Oh thats a shame that they want to try and do that. Its so much nicer to have it all built into the TV. I chose my TV with that in mind when I got it.
I was forseeing us having another ON Digital. Those were the days!!

holmroad
05-08-2010, 06:33 PM
I wont even TRY to say how despicable Sly are in every way at this juncture!:respect-057:

Kipper2
12-08-2010, 07:36 PM
Holmroad, This'll cheer you up!
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/aug/12/bskyb-ofcom
Cheers

captainglassback
12-08-2010, 09:01 PM
I might despise Sly after my experience of them but I must reserve my hatred for **** Up Tv. How on earth can pay TV be broadcast on a platform called Freeview? Chairman of Trading Standards has to be on their Yuletide card list.

Detlef
12-08-2010, 09:02 PM
Probably Sly were about to compromise Seca again but now they will take a hit. :D

Detlef
12-08-2010, 09:06 PM
I might despise Sly after my experience of them but I must reserve my hatred for **** Up Tv. How on earth can pay TV be broadcast on a platform called Freeview? Chairman of Trading Standards has to be on their Yuletide card list.

Don't add to the confusion.

There are two platforms on the UK digital terrestrial band (DTT):

a) Freeview
b) Top Up TV

Freeview is FTA.
TUTV requires a CAM and Smartcard plus some dosh.

captainglassback
12-08-2010, 09:33 PM
You are completely wrong Detlef. The issue here is the title of the equipment that is required! In the UK we are flooded with Freeview boxes. I have installed many and every time I am told that the system is not working properly....because many of the channels are scrambled. **** Up TV relies 100% on folk buying Freeview boxes or Freeview TVs. (I use Freeview with a capital F).

holmroad
28-08-2010, 06:15 PM
You are completely wrong Detlef. The issue here is the title of the equipment that is required! In the UK we are flooded with Freeview boxes. I have installed many and every time I am told that the system is not working properly....because many of the channels are scrambled. **** Up TV relies 100% on folk buying Freeview boxes or Freeview TVs. (I use Freeview with a capital F).

Surely thats exactly what Detlef was actually saying mate - or am I missing something here?:respect-069:

scrappydoo
31-08-2010, 02:00 AM
Surely thats exactly what Detlef was actually saying mate - or am I missing something here?:respect-069:

Yep, must agree. I have a FTA box and many channels are scrambled but its still an FTA box because it allows me to watch the fta channels. freeview box allows you to watch the free channels but not all the channels it can pick up are free! Think that makes sense

fac51
05-09-2010, 02:48 PM
maybe its because it would be too easy for you to pop the cam out of your tv and trot off down to you mates or god forbid the local and pop it in hey presto live prem footie!!!!!

Kipper2
11-09-2010, 07:58 AM
Yes but really - Card and CAM are transferrable and when I called TUTV to activate my card in my CAM (had to tell them I had a box) I had to agree not to take card to a pub!

Satcat
11-09-2010, 11:39 AM
Could a diablo 2 cam be used in conjuction with a TUTV card in the back on my tv?

Kipper2
17-09-2010, 07:20 PM
I tried Dragon & TRex and they dont so I'd assume not unless anyone here knows better. Reality does, and Matrix Reborn if it has the original Z-cas on it.
HTH

holmroad
18-09-2010, 10:10 AM
I tried Dragon & TRex and they dont so I'd assume not unless anyone here knows better. Reality does, and Matrix Reborn if it has the original Z-cas on it.
HTH

Yes, I tried them unsuccessfully too mate!:iagree:

ahmed002151
19-09-2010, 05:52 PM
cheers

caketin
23-09-2010, 10:52 PM
The problem with topup tv hacks is there not to be talked about over open forums for obvious reasons.

caketin

Any chance a moderator could de restrict my post count for private messages?
I have some info but its not a hack as such....

caketin
24-09-2010, 07:34 PM
Hi Kipper2
I can not reply to your Private message as my post count is not high enough.
Please send me a email and I will answer your questions.

kipper2 just check your Private Message Folder ;-)

Best Regards
caketin

williamtell
18-10-2010, 04:18 PM
my old aston 103/105 [seca] worked a treat with loaned card that is:smilielol5:or did when inlaw loaned it me whilst on holiday, setanta days tho`

Kipper2
11-12-2010, 07:34 PM
Aston v1.04 & v1.05 still work for ESPN with a TopUp TV card.
Cheers

holmroad
07-01-2011, 12:52 PM
So can I just ask a question here please as I'm not convinced we ever really got to the bottom of this:-
My daughter has a Freeview enabled TV (i.e. built-in Freeview) which obviously lists Sly Sports 1 & 2 + ESPN following the scan.
Can she now open the scrambled Seca encrypted channels to avoid having to open a Sly or cable TV account to do it - and if so, how?
(I am assuming her new LG HD ready TV has a cam slot to enable 'theoretical', at this stage, access to Top Up TV?):respect-055:

Kipper2
07-01-2011, 09:44 PM
Hi Holmroad, Yes she can by subscribing via TopUp TV. She'll need a new black viewing card and then subscribe to activate on the TopUp TV website. They will send a card as part of the £20 connection fee, but if she has one then the fee can be legitimately avoided. If she phones them she will be charged the £20.
The TV will need a CAM: as well as Satellite ones previously mentioned a TopUp or Setanta one but not Ondigital or ITV digital. If she wants SS1 & SS2 she'll need to tell them she has the 'approved' box. Sometime this year the card may become paired and so might stop working in a CAM but this wont matter as she'll then have the option of cancelling (there is no annual contract) or getting a box to continue using the card. ESPN will continue work as now ie card can be moved between TVs and boxes. Some people have since lost SS, others fine, I dont know why.
HTH:respect-062:

jocktrucker
09-01-2011, 11:19 PM
there was a software update to correct the problem. The t*tv card worked in my diablo cam in the TM6900HD.

Cancelled the sub as was paying £52 pm for it in my bedroom and £70 for VM in the living room. Got S*y World HD + multiroom, BB Phone for £85 pm. Some savings.

Kipper2
11-01-2011, 10:24 PM
Jock, I dont understand £52/month. The 3 sports channels, ESPN + SS1 + SS2 costs £39.98/month: SS1 £19.99, SS2 when taken with SS1 £10, ESPN £9.99.
HTH

jw300
25-01-2011, 08:27 PM
The TV will need a CAM: as well as Satellite ones previously mentioned a TopUp or Setanta one but not Ondigital or ITV digital.

Someone gave me an old OnDigital CAM. IT worked with my ESPN (Setanta) card in both an old Sony iDTV that was being made when On Digital was operating, and also on a 2-year-old Panasonic Viera LCD, which was more of a surprise. It didn't work on a new Samsung TV or a Humax PVR, for which I use the CAM that came with the card.

gooseye
26-01-2011, 02:17 PM
Wrong forum... didn't tutv go n3 a couple of years back?

Kipper2
27-01-2011, 08:39 PM
Yes, N3 Nagravision 'Merlin' card works in a SECA CAM as this thread makes clear. Could double post but that is discouraged.