PDA

View Full Version : Why does a Sat Meter need calibration ?

nml
06-08-2010, 12:56 PM
Is it based on location? If so if an installer worked in different locations would he need to recalibrate?
The reason i ask is i am thinking of buying a new meter with sp*ctr*m analizer on it and i would use it for installing in the UK and Spain and of course using the same trace for both.
Currently I am using a Lacuna 2 and it,s OK, I use it for installs in Spain & the UK but for each country I need to recalibrate so hence the new meter.

Any reccomendations on a new meter would be appreciated i am currently looking at Satlook micro,Satcatcher 111s, Trimax 3500 and Sat-link 9102 TV screen would be good but tight budget.

nml

xanadu
06-08-2010, 01:10 PM
If you run a business using test equipment to repair/retune customers equipment, then that test equipment should be calibrated at least once a year.

Calibration is needed to ensure any test equipment is measuring correctly.

Barney
06-08-2010, 01:10 PM
hi nml ,
ive been using Satlook mircro + { older model } for around 10 years now i think its the single best purchase ive ever made in my whole life thus far thats just how good it has been really reliable and i cant say enuff about it as its paid for itself 100 times over already and has never let me down not once and very accurate ,
i had a Lucana meter years ago but it ended up in the bin as i completly lost my patience with it and it cant move a disecq motor to get motorised dish aligned and check dish tracking just a pure waste of time in my opinion .
ive stood by my old reliable sat look mircro + ever since and im really glad i did too .
there is superb battery life aswell something like 10 hrs straight i used satlook micro+ for one day and it still held on without needed a charge .
no need for silly fancy spec meters satlook micro+ has everything required and never fails to get a dish aligned very accuratley and is really good at giving lnb readings and cable readings too which indeed helps very much .
thats my 2 cents .
-------
Barneycarlton

Giga
06-08-2010, 01:18 PM
has to do with your location: angles and so

not cheap (from € 3500), programmable, German Quality, ...
TV Signal Analyzers for DVB-T/H, DVB-C, DVB-S and DVB-S2:
SPAROS 609, 609 CA HD, 611 CA HD, :

http://www.spaun.de/?lang=en&modul=products&category=51529
http://www.spaun.de/pdf/flash/14/en/#/106

nml
06-08-2010, 05:33 PM
Thanks all, so it looks like the calibration on the Lacuna is down to different locations so i think i would probably get the same problem with the Sp*ectrum trace.Thanks Giga but the 3500 is a bit steep for me.
Barneycarlton thanks and yes i do like the look of the new micro + it has digital nit but unfortunately battery life is not as good as it was now reported at about 1 hour.
Over in Southern Spain we are close to the Gibralter beam so 28 east is fine with a good quality 1 mtr dish providing it is correctly aligned.
The reason i mentioned about the tve screen was over there you go to do a realignment and the dish is fine it's normaly the box that has fried in the heat, it would have been handy to show the customer that the box is OK at the moment i carry a spare box.

Anybody konow anything about the other 3 meters Satcather,Trimax and Sat-link?

Thanks again nml