PDA

View Full Version : Fine tuning satellites using USALS.

Bazza1974
19-08-2010, 09:21 PM
On the 9000HD can you fine tune sat positions? My 16e, 39e is weak and 26e is non-existent. Am in SE England using a 1M motorised dish.
Would the recalculate option sort it out?
All this started from a channel list which sent my dish off on a wild goose chase. (this list has been removed and another one installed)

Ta!!

maud
19-08-2010, 09:28 PM
Select one sat and check the settings,I have GDS7000 and had to change the settings that it wanted to store in order to get max signal,I wonder if spider box has same problem,usals was not good on GDS7000

gbmitie
20-08-2010, 01:05 AM
same happened to me, loaded a newer ch list but forgot to change my lat/long and suffered a lot, but did not twig what I had done wrong for a while.

reset the motor to 0 and set up 1 west where you are, NB you must disconnect box from motor when u set up one west, then re -enter your lat/long while on sat1 west. plug spider back in and dish should stay at 0. sorted.

gb--

echelon
20-08-2010, 08:27 AM
after recently patching mine again I had problems with sats until I realised that the location had reset to zero , and needed redoing , inputting my usals coordinates again

but to answer the question , yes , you can fine tune usals as well as diseqc

it should not require doing if the motor is setup correctly , but it can be done

adjust any satellites you wish to change by altering their usals position itself

so for say 16.0e , try 15.9e , or 15.8e , or 16.2e , dancing around that 16.0e figure

repeat for any other sats that need this , but ensure you have usuals set correctly at 1w and your location set for best possible for your location , which if not spot on can be up to 0.5 degrees either way , so if you were at 2.2w , you may have to adjust to anything between 1.7w and 2.7w , and the closer to your actual position you can make it the better your motor alignment is

williamtell
20-08-2010, 09:33 AM
hmmm so thats why i lost all my sats after adding new channel list, could not fathom it out and had to reset motor button, and start all over again on installation.:blush5::blush5:

Bazza1974
20-08-2010, 11:23 AM
Am in work all weekend so I'll give it a bash on Monday. Thanks for your help lads!!

gbmitie
20-08-2010, 02:57 PM
Yikes, how do you change USALS? ie how do I change sat from 16east to 15.9east in usals and save it?? probaly obivious but ....

gbtipp

echelon
20-08-2010, 03:31 PM
check motor setup , then satellite position in the 7th position of the menu , change the figure that is in there , so if its 016.0E , change to say 015.9E , or 016.1E , or whatever you like , and save

Bazza1974
20-08-2010, 09:53 PM
One last query, could I reconnect my TM6800HD to the dish and move the dish to 1W then remove and replace with Spiderbox?

echelon
20-08-2010, 10:29 PM
yes , or use the loopthrough , but bear in minds the usals will kick in and move the motor if they are different setups

if you have the spiderbox on the loopthrough from the tm6800 , and leave the tm on , the tm will have taken over the motor , and the spider will see only some of the range as the tm is controlling the high/low and v/h

Bazza1974
21-08-2010, 10:22 PM
Echelon, thanks for the changing satellite positions idea (eg 16.2e etc). I've got 16e back by changing the position to 16.4e. Did the motor step thing by pressing right 4 times and noticed the signal had jumped by 20%. Then just added to the dish position in 0.1 degree steps until the signal went up. Will give 39e and 26e a bash tomorrow if I get chance.

Once again thanks to you all!!!

echelon
21-08-2010, 10:28 PM
looks like the motor alignment is out there then

also bear in mind that there are reports of the gifts failing if the sat position isnt correct , so you may have trouble with the gifts if you alter the position of the satellites from their standard numbers

Bazza1974
22-08-2010, 05:50 AM
Thanks mate. I'll keep that in mind. Tring/Digitalb still work on gift at amended position. But other people have also mentioned, in particular, the Thor gift working only if position is exact.

chippy
22-08-2010, 10:48 AM
i think this is probably the right place to post. echelon i followed your advice. thanks mate it was spot on. i now have it running well. thor at 3 pm sat is just amazing. the only fly in the ointment is eutel w2 16e i cant seem to keep it. i get excellent signal when i fune tune using disq 12 then i search, download channels, if i then view channels all ok but if ithen try view through fav list, no signal. perhaps im not saving in the right place. any gentle advice would be appreciated. cheers chippy.

echelon
22-08-2010, 10:53 AM
depends if you are using usals or diseqc v1.2 , which is more or less what I stated to bazza

you cannot fine tune a usals list , apart from your location , which is why bazza is fine tuning the 16e position in usals

if using diseqc you can fine tune and save the position , more work but it gets each position spot on

obviously you should ALL have your motors correctly aligned and then usals would do the work for you once you have fine tuned your location in the position setting in the menu where you set your position/location for usals ( your longitude and latitude )

as for favourites , you have to add them in the channel manager section from the ALL channels into one of your favourite headings

Bazza1974
23-08-2010, 03:13 PM
Found a better solution. Adjusted my long/lat and 1w boomed back in..
Then started heading back east and it's all good now.

chippy
23-08-2010, 07:55 PM
i have fine tuned using disc12 got an excellent signal and quality. i then did a blind scan downloaded. 1300 channels. when i then open the channels i find that the motor moves back to its old position so the channels are below signal strength. i am saving by clicking ok to store sat position. this is all happening re 16 e by the way. if i then move to thor to be able to watch i have to change from disc12 to usals. im sorry for the longwinded questions, but i am stumped. any help would be appreciated. chippy. ps my lon and lat are good.

echelon
23-08-2010, 08:05 PM
my advice is do not keep changing

either use usals or diseqc , do not try using both

Bazza1974
23-08-2010, 09:45 PM
That's why I've left mine on USALS.
Thanks again lads!!

january_king
19-10-2010, 06:09 PM
I know it's a long time since the last post but I have just been going through the same dilemma and concluded that using USALS to locate each sat and then changing to Disecq to fine tune and save each one was best (esp. 16E and 39E).
The only problem with this solution (it appears to me but I could be wrong) is that all this fine tuning is lost when loading a new channel list.
JK

Mr Batch
19-10-2010, 07:32 PM
i have an old mvision and now SB7000 which both have the recalculate option in USALS. Can anyone give the exact order you use this in
ie say change in usals 16.0e to 16.2e to get a better signal or as baz said change long/lat from what gmaps says by up to 0.5degree - then save(thought this was just for diseqc users?) or recalulate?

on USALS for me on certain sats it just goes past the ideal on some sats but seems good on others.

the manual does not give an order or how exactly to use the recalculate option.

any advice please??

gbmitie
19-10-2010, 08:05 PM
Yes you are right, hence the reason why everyone likes USALS, when it works. You are best to stick with USALS and then use diseq when watching a particular sat/channel to fine tune for best signal on that sat/channel BUT remember to change back to USALS when you change sats.

Of course you can tweak USALS as well by maiking slight adjustments to your location via the green button and these are saved in USALS.

gb--:applause-003::applause-003:

Satcat
20-10-2010, 10:02 AM
I use USALS for initial setup then switch to diseqc, fine tune each sat and save.
The motor runs faster between sats when on diseqc setting.