PDA

View Full Version : Help for Newbie

quarkrad
24-08-2010, 08:41 PM
I have just purchased a 5200 usb and waiting for it's arrival - my dish has arrived and I will install when I have everything together. I am desperately reading all I can re the satellite world. Being use to PC's and my Topfield pvr I wondered if I had to install anything on the 5200 when it arrives so it is up to date. I have gone through many sites and am confused, there are tools, patches, keys - all sorts of things. Essentially I am looking at fta channels from Hotbird and Astra but I'm not sure e.g. what these Keys are. Is there a single web site I can go to that will explain what steps I should take, what is possible and what it all means? Obviously I would like to get the most I can from my satellite set up but there are a lot of things I need to understand. Any advice appreciated.

echelon
24-08-2010, 08:47 PM
you are already in the correct section m8

your new box is on the old side now but is fine for fta channels from the satellites , as long as they are SD and not HD

ideally you should patch it with the latest phantom patch posted here by compass

then load in the latest compass tmsoftcam , which will add keys to open certain channels on certain satellites

most channels that are scrambled wont open for you however , so dont expect miracles from your box as its not like it was a few years ago in the golden age of these boxes

if you read the technomate sections here , the motor and lnb sections , and any other relevant parts you should get the gist of it

coolseabreez
25-08-2010, 11:05 AM
hi

usefull site for installing,

_http://www.dishpointer.com/

best to update via the USB port with a memory stick , just down load files to a folder on your pc,

you will need to load

1. up to date patch

2. channels list

3. up to date keys

in that order!

use TechnomateMaker1.4 to get your keys

unzip downloaded files in folder, copy unzipped files to your usb stick,

insert usb dive in Technomate press green button and the go to Data Transfer just move it to patch and press OK always load the patch first then the softcam key
If you would like new channel lists email me and I can send you the latest
Use Technomatemakermaker1.3 to get your key files from net all you do is click on exe file in folder click on motor save softcam file to flash drive insert flash drive in receiver press green button move to data transfer press ok then 0000 and move to softcammotor and press ok

quarkrad
25-08-2010, 12:11 PM
Thanks for your help - new TM-5200D USB Super + just arrived! One of the threads, re patching, suggests:

* USB pen drive formatted in FAT
* Original Technomate firmware version 1.07 or above copied to the pen drive
* Latest Darkman or Magic patch copied to the pen drive
* Latest Kempa82 tmsoftcam copied to the pen drive

I'm having trouble finding the Original Technomate firmware
struggling with the Darkman/Magic patch but I have downloaded a file called TM-Loader For TM-1000-5000-6000 Series.zip - is the same thing?
I have downloaded this for the tmsoftcam - TMSoftcam

Sorry to be pain but I'm a little nervous. Thanks.

FENEKI
25-08-2010, 12:22 PM
5200SUPER USB Patches Phantompatch-TM5300D_5200D_SUPER_141p_18-8-10 https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?t=132850

TM softcams keys https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?t=63673

Giga
25-08-2010, 01:31 PM
TM-Loader For TM-1000-5000-6000 Series.zip is a loader program for use with null modem cable I case things go wrong. Make that you have a working null modem cable and test it works with your computer and technomate.
Testing can safely been done with channel editor:
https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?t=110802
once this is working you could recover from bad flash: not 100% it always works.

quarkrad
25-08-2010, 02:02 PM
Thank you for your help. I was hoping to 'do all this upgrading' via the USB port with a memory stick - I guess I need another loader. Actually I'm not sure what these files will do. I'm guessing the loader is need to automatic other files on the stick (or PC), the tm software key does something about accessing 'pay' channels - not sure what the Phantonpatch does. Any help where I can find the USB stick loader much appreciated. Currently drilling hole through house wall for cable. Hope to have my 5200 'ready' soon.

echelon
25-08-2010, 02:08 PM
you do not need a loader if you use a usb stick

the loader is the tm1000 darkman loader as used on the tm1000 and tm1500 etc
and it is used with a null modem cable from your pc

the usb stick is a quicker and easier method of loading using your onboard menu

the phantom patch is used to gain access to "pay" channels , usually after you have patched the box and also added the latest tmsoftcam which adds the current keys , and that tmsoftcam is also posted in the tm1000 section here by compass ( sometimes others may post it )

think of the patch as the lock , and the tmsoftcam as the keys to open the lock

quarkrad
26-08-2010, 09:11 PM
I have the dish up on the wall now and believe have locked onto Hotbird. have set the 5200 receiver to Hotbird 13e on Diseqc 1 and Astra 19.2 on Diseqc 2 and saved th settings. On a bid search I have quite a few channels all on Hotbird (although 99% of them are encrypted). There is a button on the remote called sat and I think I changed to the Astra Sat - but there are no channels. There are many listed but one of them have a signal. How do I find out if I have the astra side set up? ( have a 6 degree monoblock - the Hotbird LBN is in the clamp - the Astra LBN is free to the left of the clamp looking at the dish.

echelon
26-08-2010, 09:19 PM
maybe its not aligned properly ?

looking at the lnb from the front of the dish , the centre arm one should be on hotbird with the left hand one on astra and higher up , there are pictures of this in the dish and lnb forums here

from the back of the dish , the hotbird is on the left and astra on the right higher up

lyngsat will give you free channels to try to find them both

quarkrad
27-08-2010, 08:08 AM
My Astra LNB is certainly in the wrong position, it is below the Hotbird LNB not higher. A couple of questions re alignment. Is there a way I can tell what sat I have aligned to from the Technomate box - at the moment I press the info button on those channels I can see; they all say Hotbird 13e? I set the dish arm, best I could due South*, and found the first strong signal towards the East. Kept turning the beeper down to fine tune - so I'm fairly confident I'm 'looking' at something. Assuming I am looking at Hotbird, how is the tuning/fine tuning done for the Astra LBN - as well as moving the LNB 'up the arc' do I have to do anything on the receiver?
* There appeared to be a very very strong signal slightly to the West of South - in fact it beeped quite a way round the Westerly horizontal - perhaps my beeper was not sensitive enough.

quarkrad
27-08-2010, 08:54 AM
Sorry to ask a dumb question - I'm a total newbie (2 days old) and trying to get my head round everything. I'm not absolutely sure what the TMSoftcam key does - but sure the more I read/understand I need it as a lot of people are talking about it. If I download the file and extract the .key file can I load it into my 5200 via a USB stick?

Giga
27-08-2010, 09:01 AM
depending your location, used dish and multi feed holder, you could need a inclination of 1° up for the multi feed holder (13°E would sit Lower then 19.2°E). check do***entation for distance between 13° and 19.2° angle is 6° more or less.
10744 H SR 22000 FEC 5/6 would be a good one to point to 19.2°. Red blocks should turn yellow & blue. Take in account 2 seconds delay to get actual reading of signal strength. signal processing time.

echelon
27-08-2010, 09:07 AM
a monoblock is designed to fit on the end of the arm of an 80cm dish , which then gives the required 6 degrees of spacing for the 2 positions , but a 90cm or 110 cm dish can also be used with careful positioning of the monoblock 9 these details are in the dish and lnb forums here )

use a towel draped over the astra lnb so you know only the one for hotbird is operating , and you can temporarily cover this to prove its working ok when you have something

I already told you to check lyngsat for fta channels on hotbird that will prove you are on hotbird ( but you have ignored that option so far )

lists are published from time to time of suitable fta channels to look for on all satellites that help members in this regard too , so checking those may also help you

for hotbird on 13e look for the following fta news channels

12597V 27500 bbc world news , and euronews too , and france24 on 11240V 27500 , or the rai channels on 10804V 27500 ,

for astra at 19e check the following fta channels

12246V 27500 deluxe music , sky news on 12604H 22000 , cnn on 11778V 27500 , al jazeera on 11509V 22000

Those should tell you when you have the correct alignment and are free to air with good signals too

a dish can always pick something up , the trick is to get a strong signal and then work out what it can see , so using a receiver with the channels already in it is a good idea so you can tell where you are looking by the channels you actually get , as per the channels I gave you above from my working spiderbox on my working motor

Giga
27-08-2010, 09:08 AM
yes, use fat32 formated usb stick, place *.key on usb stick, put stick in Technomate, use USB button on remote or select menu: usb: data transfer.
select Key file with remote cursor, and press ok
same procedure for channel list.
color buttons on remote download from receiver to usb key (key or channel list)
channel list editor (https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?t=110802) <= click here

quarkrad
28-08-2010, 08:31 AM
Sorry to be a pain. Is the order then:

phantom patch
TMSoftkey
Channel list

not sure where these files are though. One question-

Can these three be loaded via USB stick

Giga
28-08-2010, 08:48 AM
you can do this with USB:
loading on receiver select file press ok
loading on USB stick: color buttons on remoted: info button on data transfer screen (● or ●)
before updating a patch:
backup:
current channel list and keep it safe (special when using motor or diseqc switch)
current softcam

there is no specific order
patch when new one available
TMSoftkey when new one available or current one became corrupt
Channel list when new one available or current one became corrupt

channel list can be maintained by you: https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?t=110802

quarkrad
28-08-2010, 09:06 AM
Thanks for quick reply - not worth me backing as I have nothing on receiver, just come out of box! I think I have found the right patch (I have 5200D USB Super+) - Technomte 5000 series/Firmware/TM500 Phant0m-Patches (SUPER)/Phantompatch-TM5300D 5200 SUPER 135p 06-05-2010.rar

In Tools & Editors there appars to be the Channel List - although I'm trying to work out which one I need.

Struggling to find the TMSoftkey

Am I looking in the right place?

Many thanks

Giga
28-08-2010, 09:22 AM
that is an old patch!
one caution: download this unpacker and use it to unpack, some unpacking went corrupt bricking some receivers!

http://www.7-zip.org/
current would be here:
https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showpost.php?p=743628&postcount=3
current softcam would be:
https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?t=137701
normally you find these here:
https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?t=63673
when downloading someone else channel list
you could have to modify your dish/diseqc setup to match your setup!

quarkrad
28-08-2010, 09:31 AM
Many, many thanks - day ahead now to set things up!

Giga
28-08-2010, 09:38 AM
it is custom on forums to use the https://www.satpimps.co.uk/images/styles/soness/buttons/post_thanks.gif for thanks ;)
if you get in to problems: let us know
when updating receiver: never interrupt this process, box should reboot by itself. Make sure you have a working null modem solution, just in case something go's wrong and maybe you can recover from it.

quarkrad
28-08-2010, 10:56 AM
Sorryyyyyy. I have loaded the patch and downloaded the TMSoftcam (assume 13deg is the latest). Looking at the various channel list files (e.g. Technomate.zip) they all seem to have motorised in their file name. Does this matter? My dish is static.

Giga
28-08-2010, 11:06 AM
what sat location(s) have you on fixed?
you can download most recent one, change motor to none

echelon
28-08-2010, 11:06 AM
Sorryyyyyy. I have loaded the patch and downloaded the TMSoftcam (assume 13deg is the latest). Looking at the various channel list files (e.g. Technomate.zip) they all seem to have motorised in their file name. Does this matter? My dish is static.

no it doesnt matter , you just get more channels from sats you dont get as well as the ones you do get

but you must alter any settings from usals or diseqc 1.2 to your own setup

as for the latest tmsoftcam , giga posted it here https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?t=137701 28 aug 2010

quarkrad
28-08-2010, 11:55 AM
I'm struggling a bit here so thank you - it must be frustrating. All my kit is new (TM 5200 USB, 80cm dish with monoblock - for Hotbird and Astra). My plan was to make sure the receiver was up to date with relevant software, connect it to my dish, and then align the dish. At the moment I have the dish on wall pointing in approx the right direction (I also have a bleeper to fine tune). I have loaded the latest phantom patch and TMSoftcam - but no channel list yet. At the moment, having just loaded the TMSoftcam I have set my receiver to Diseqc 1 and am scanning Hotbird. It is on 88/113 and there is a list of TV and Radio channels - but the Quality does not above 23%. Plan A is to see if I can view/hear any of these channels and work out what actual sat they come from. This should tell me how far away from Hotbird I actual am. Hopefully I can them rotate the dish and fine tune.

echelon
28-08-2010, 12:03 PM
I'm struggling a bit here so thank you - it must be frustrating. All my kit is new (TM 5200 USB, 80cm dish with monoblock - for Hotbird and Astra). My plan was to make sure the receiver was up to date with relevant software, connect it to my dish, and then align the dish. At the moment I have the dish on wall pointing in approx the right direction (I also have a bleeper to fine tune). I have loaded the latest phantom patch and TMSoftcam - but no channel list yet. At the moment, having just loaded the TMSoftcam I have set my receiver to Diseqc 1 and am scanning Hotbird. It is on 88/113 and there is a list of TV and Radio channels - but the Quality does not above 23%. Plan A is to see if I can view/hear any of these channels and work out what actual sat they come from. This should tell me how far away from Hotbird I actual am. Hopefully I can them rotate the dish and fine tune.

on that note we are in agreement

however a better plan would have been to load a premade list , then set it to hotbird , ensuring its the correct lnb as well , and then move the dish on say bbc world or euronews until you got them and then cover the correct lnb to make sure they disappear , which then proves you are on hotbird , , and then switch to astra 19e and see if those come in , like deluxe music for instance

once you have them setup correctly you could use the premade list or delete it and make your own

quarkrad
28-08-2010, 12:18 PM
Agree! Hence I was looking for the channel list. I have just come in from a bit of fine tuning with the bleeper. I am now scanning Hotbird and some Quality readings go up to 75% (as well as 20%) so what ever I'm pointing at the signal is stronger. Would loading the 'motorised' channel lists be OK?

Giga
28-08-2010, 12:31 PM
don't forget to set power on for LNB
check if you have a transponder on Hotbird: 10719 V SR 27500 FEC 5/6 and use that one to find hotbird it is not on 19.2° when you find it scan on that tranponder and 4 Fun TV should come up and open. signal blocks should turn from red to yellow and blue! move slowly and take in account a 2 second delay for accurate signal (processing delay)

quarkrad
28-08-2010, 03:00 PM
Gosh - I seemed to be there (I think). 4funTV did come up and from what I can make out (looking at Lyngsat) I also have many other Hotbird channels. Before I did a scan on Hotbird (using the transponder you suggested) I get a steady 80 - 82% Quality level. Interestingly, when I changed my satellite setting to Astra1 19.2 (it defaults to transponder 10.773(H)/22.00) I changed the transponder to 10.788(V)/22.00 and again I got a fairly steady reading of 84% Quality level before I scanned.

Giga
28-08-2010, 03:18 PM
OK you're nearly there.
Build you're own channel list as explained in this thread, just web download 19.2°E and 13°E
Select HD transponders (right click in transponder windows) and delete these.
set diseqc for each satellite then make your favorites and sort accordingly. Have fun

quarkrad
28-08-2010, 05:13 PM
Having selected Hotbird and then scrolling down to the Transponders - when I hit return I get a big list. There is nothing to identify HD transponders - they are all listed as frequency numbers. I guess there is somewhere (on the web) that list SD and HD transponder frequencies - then I delete the HD ones and keep all the SD ones. (What happens if I delete all the SD except the one I scanned on?).
Note. When I select Astra, the right transponder and press SAVE it does not like it - when I come out and then go back the Astra sat is set up on the wrong transponder with Quality level of 20%. The Hotbird keeps the saved setting and shows Quality level of 80%. (TM 5200 USB).

Giga
28-08-2010, 05:39 PM
In the attachment 2 same channellists for astra 1 and hotbird, put these on USB stick. You should be able to use one of these. With the channel editor you can later make changes, edit , sort , ....

quarkrad
28-08-2010, 08:36 PM
Much appreciated. I'm not quite sure how these channel lists work. Is it the case that when the receiver scans it picks up only those channels that it can see - where as, a pre populated channel list shows all the channels that are/should be available? So loading a channel list will show you all the channels and if you cannot get some of them you are not aligned 100% - assuming you are allowed to see all the channels.

Giga
29-08-2010, 08:31 AM
preloaded channel list is old, channel and transponder details change, this list has the 19.2°E and 13°E SD transponders (DVB-S and not DVB-S2) and tv channels only, perhaps 48 hours old.
receiving channel is one thing: tune in to correct transponder info, get correct channel info
opening channel is another issue: card, key, supported encryption, ...
If you're aligned for one transponder, you would get the others ok.
You can check this in satellite setup
select satellite 19.2°E or 13°E and go on transponder field, you should no be able to flick through the transponders. Most of them would show in blue and yellow blocks and not red ones. This means you could view these channels with the right card if it is supported by your receiver or if the keys are available and supported by the patch and its emu.

in the channel list you can update this by yourself and organize it to your needs:
channel editor (https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?t=110802) <= click here

quarkrad
29-08-2010, 05:06 PM
At the moment I have not loaded your files - this is what my receiver looks like. For Hotbird there are 113 transponders, of which 33 are red, no more than 23%, the majority are blue at 50 - 56%, a few at more than 60%, a fewer more at 75% the highest is 74%. For Astra I have 89 transponders of which 17 are red (21%) most are 49 - 56% the highest is 75%. There are only 10 in the 70 - 76% range. I don't know if these are typical readings for a 80cm dish in NW London (12 miles from Heathrow Airport). I have read on the web about getting higher Quality levels - perhaps I'm not exactly pointing in the right direction.

echelon
29-08-2010, 05:16 PM
my advice is concentrate on getting the fta channels I mentioned on each of the 2 satellites

you can worry about transponders , channel lists , and other sundry details once you know you have good sig and good quality on the 2 satellite positions , and once its set correctly you can mess about with the channel lists or scans as much as you like

the point here is to get aligned correctly , dont get bogged down in whats read , blue or yellow , or how many , because thats too much detail

once you are set correctly , the working channels will scan in , or use a premade list instead , but get the basics right first

Giga
29-08-2010, 06:36 PM
the point here is to get aligned correctly
believed quarkrad was already beyond adjusting the dish and lnb's!

Fine tune your 13°E location on the weakest transponder showing blue and yellow and see if you can get these higher.
Slightly moving the dish right or left: mm by mm: keep in account 2 seconds delay for processing the signal on the receiver. The moment the signal drops go to opposite direction until signal drops again. Repeat this process between these to points until you have the point where you have the strongest signal on the same weakest transponder you started on.
Do the same for the vertical (inclination), slightly up until you see the signal drop, then opposite direction until signal drops again. Repeat this process until you have the strongest signal between these two points.
When your pole is dead on plumb in all directions. You should now have a good reception on 19.2°E. The 19.2° lnb (left) should be slightly higher then the 13°E lnb (right) when looking to the dish.
Slightly raise the left LNB up and see if signal increases on 19.2°e. When the signal drops, lower left LNB until signal drops. Between these two points you should find the strongest signal. Again use the weakest transponder on 19.2°E showing blue and yellow blocks.

Don't use the tranponders showing red blocks as these have wrong parameters to fine align dish and lnb monoblock

quarkrad
29-08-2010, 07:12 PM
Giga - many thanks, I feel another trip to the extension roof is due tomorrow!

Echelon. Back to your free channels - I think I'm beginning to understand this a little more; thanks for still being with me (both of you). I deleted all channels on my receiver before I scanned for your channels.

Before I scan these are my transponder readings:

Hotbird 113 transponders

12597v/27500 mostly red 21% sometimes flickers to blue 46%
11240v/27500 97% level 57% Quality
10804v/27500 not listed as a transponder

After the scan - 522 channels

BBC World News 12597V/27500 not listed
Euronews not listed
France 24 11240v/27500 yes and also on 1242/27500
rai channels yes on 10804v/27500 and 11804v/27500

Astra 89 transponders

12246v 27500 level 97% quality 51%
12604h 22000 not listed but 12603h 22000 has level 97% quality 61%
11778v/27500 level 97% quality 66%
11509v 2200 not listed but 11508v 2200 has level 97% quality 57%

After the scan 351 channels

delux music not listed
Sky News not listed but get Sky News International on 12603h 22000
cnn not listed but get ccn international on 11778v 27500
al jazeera not listed but get al jazeera international on 11508V 22000

I do get Euronews on Astra on 12226h 27500

echelon
29-08-2010, 07:18 PM
I suggest you add the transponders for the missing fta channels I mentioned and do a manual scan , making sure you get what I told you was there. once you have the ones I told you I will be convinced that you have the required setup.

as for scanning , unless you did a blindscan I doubt you will get everything from the satellite , as you are assuming the satellite will give you all channels , whereas I think you are scanning a list of transponders in the tm

quarkrad
30-08-2010, 07:59 AM
I have to pop out this morning - so will continue this afternoon. I do not quite understand the channel list - I think of a tv tuner where you scan and the get the channels that the tuner picks up. In the sat world you seem to be able add tuners/transponders and channels. As I now know how to add transponders now - should I:

a. Delete all channels, add transponders to list, do a scan of free channels
b. Delete all channels, add transponders to list, do a blind scan
c/d. As above re delete ch & add transp but add the Hotbird/Astra list.zip that Giga gave me.

Thanks

Giga
30-08-2010, 08:58 AM
Take it step by step: not all at once: it will fry your brain.
Once you have the dish and lnb's lined up correctly, the rest will follow.
When you load channel list this replaces what is in your receiver: sat locations, transponders, channels.
transponder = frequency to tune to.
transponder content (channels) is defined by the other parameters.
When you have PID search you can add/edit transponders.
You can all do this on your computer.
Read manual, read do***entation, do what is suggested, don't skip steps.
If the dish pole is not installed correctly this will influence the reception of the dual headed lnb.
If the dish is not aligned correctly: signal loss
Each step influences the other.

quarkrad
30-08-2010, 03:25 PM
Added relevant transponders - results of FTA scan

Hotbird

BBC World News Get it but very bad break up - Quality bounces between 20% and 48%
Euronews Get it but very bad break up - Quality bounces between 20% and 48%
France 24 Get it - good picture Quality 60%
RAI Channels Do not get them on 10804v - but do get them on 11804v

Astra
Deluxe Music Get this Quality 50%
Sky News Do not receieve - get Sky News Int on 12603H 22000 Quality 60%
CNN Get this - CNN Int Quality 66%
Al Jazeera Do not receive - get it on 11508V 22000 Quality 58%

Giga
30-08-2010, 04:00 PM
those readings are quality, does not sound right to me?
Main Menu:
Satellite Setup:
Satellite: 13°E Hotbird
Transponder 12597 V 27500 (Euronews sits here)
What is Level there?
What is Quality there?
these should be vary stable and perhaps only fluctuate by 1%

quarkrad
30-08-2010, 04:52 PM
Results of 12597v 27500

the level reading fluctuates between 84% and 97% (continually moving) - now and again the RED bars turn YELLOW (for less than 1 sec) too quick to see what the % reading is.

The Quality reading (when the Level is Red) which is the majority of the time fluctuates between 19% and 22%. Now and again the Red bars turn Blue - you can just read 45%

Essentially both level and quality numbers are moving all the time 84-97% and 19-22% with occasional break in of 97% (Yellow) and 45% (Blue)

echelon
30-08-2010, 04:57 PM
as I have said several times before , I am not convinced that you are lined up correctly on hotbird , which is crucial to this task , as once its in full alignment you can adjust the left hand lnb ( looking from the front of the dish ) upwards to get astra at 19e as well

also crucial to this is having the monoblock sat on the lnb arm at the correct distance from the dish , and they are designed to work best on 80cm or bigger dishes

and it goes without saying that you dont want any obstructions either

when you can say you are getting every single one of the fta channels me and giga have quoted , with good signal and good quality and little fluctuation , then I would say you are probably in alignment. until that happens I have never been convinced that you have both lnb,s in alignment

quarkrad
30-08-2010, 05:06 PM
Can you offer any advice on the way forward? I fined tuned into a very strong signal in approx the right direction - it seems obvious that it wasn't Hotbird. Should I put the meter/bleeper in again and move the dish or get the 12597v 27500 on Hotbird level and quality bars on the tv screen and see if I can improve them. I like the concept of the bleeper but you don't actually know what you are looking at.

Giga
30-08-2010, 05:07 PM
Results of 12597v 27500

the level reading fluctuates between 84% and 97% (continually moving) - now and again the RED bars turn YELLOW (for less than 1 sec) too quick to see what the % reading is.

The Quality reading (when the Level is Red) which is the majority of the time fluctuates between 19% and 22%. Now and again the Red bars turn Blue - you can just read 45%

Essentially both level and quality numbers are moving all the time 84-97% and 19-22% with occasional break in of 97% (Yellow) and 45% (Blue)
Is this with a fixed dish? Is it windy? Looks more like your dish or dish pole is flexing with the wind?
Or is this while searching with the dish: movements are to big on both axis: use smaller movements, millimeter by millimeter.
If all this fails: get someone to help you out, who has done this before.

Giga
30-08-2010, 05:10 PM
do a scan on that transponder and see what channels come up? could give an indication where you're aiming at? could be 16°E or 9°E is only some degrees of in either direction?

quarkrad
30-08-2010, 05:17 PM
I am not touching the dish - it is fixed on wall outside, it is not particularly windy. I'm having trouble scanning on just that transponder at the moment, when I choose that transp and then press scan it scans all the transponders.

echelon
30-08-2010, 05:20 PM
I use a sat beeper AND a portable tv , and a similar sat box with a premade list installed so I know what I am looking at or looking for

once the dish is lined up correctly , I would worry about channel lists after that , until then it doesnt matter what list you use as long as you prove good signals on the fta channels we have both listed for you

sounds like you need to manual scan one transponder turning network to OFF , to stop it scanning all of them

Giga
30-08-2010, 05:22 PM
You're using scan in satellite setup. Don't you have PID Search in main menu: installation?
What mount are you using?

quarkrad
30-08-2010, 05:25 PM
One last question please - then I will go away and try and re-align the dish. I have got to move the dish a little - can I put the meter/bleeper in line and also have the receiver/TV in circuit so if the bleeper indicates a stronger signal I can scan the receiver and see the bars on the TV?

Giga
30-08-2010, 05:33 PM
yes that would work: always power receiver off when disconnecting coax cables

quarkrad
31-08-2010, 09:48 AM
I played with the dish yesterday and there is great improvement - this is what I get re Echelon's channels and transponders:

Hotbird
Get everything except the rai channels - they are in the list but only on 11804

Astra
Get everything

echelon
31-08-2010, 11:21 AM
in that case lock the dish up , and now you can either scan your own channels in as required or use a premade channel list and remove channels and sats that arent wanted or needed

quarkrad
31-08-2010, 11:43 AM
The Astra Hotbird.zip file Giga sent me that contains the Channel List has two files in it - Astra 1 Hotbird.cndf and Astra 1 Hotbird.ndf When I tried to load these into my 5200 via the USB data transfer a window popped up saying Failed to Write. (There was also a choice of db to write to - Default db or Normal db) - not sure about this.

Giga
31-08-2010, 03:27 PM
Only one of the two should be working, one is in compressed format the other not. write to normal db. Once you have your own channel list write to both locations.
You can check what format is used on your receiver.
Main Menu: USB: Data Transfer
You should have color codes on the bottom of the file list. Press the same color button on your remote to upload Channel: this will write channel list to your USB stick.
You then will see what extension is used for channel list.

quarkrad
31-08-2010, 03:30 PM
Once again - thank you both. I will charge on my own now - reading and learning. I would not have got this far without you support. Much appreciated.

Giga
31-08-2010, 03:34 PM
see you sorted reception out: great!

quarkrad
03-09-2010, 08:19 AM
I am now thinking of purchasing a USB drive to program recordings. I am thinking of an external drive of either 160 or 320 GB - based on experience in this thread is there any issues I should be aware of? E.g. can I purchase any make/type of external usb drive. All I have found out s far is the drive has to be formatted fat32. Thanks.

quarkrad
03-09-2010, 08:24 AM
Re above for example: You can get drives with either a 2.5" or 3.5" form factor - will this make any difference?

Giga
03-09-2010, 08:42 AM
A little I guess: 2.5" will use lesser power then a 3.5" for same capacity.
Most important: should not be external powered. Be carefull with these some only have tin casing, ruined one by putting accidentally elbow on to top, nasty grinding sound: freecom black rubbered sleeved. Could throw it in the bin.