PDA

View Full Version : feed horn??

tottenham
05-09-2010, 10:12 PM
Hi all!

i know this is a stupid question but can someone please clarify what a feed horn is used for. i am currently installing a 1.25m dish and was wondering if this would be any help with getting a fringe reception.

Is there any special types of lnb's that should be used for larger dishes such as this?

Thanks,

Tottenham

Burnham
05-09-2010, 10:18 PM
Short answer, feedhorns are used in conjunction with c120 LNBs.

Unless the feedhorn is perfectly matched to the dish it is a waste of time, it would be better using a standard integrated LNB/Feedhorn.

toothfairy
05-09-2010, 10:23 PM
Hi tottenham, a feedhorn will cover the whole dish whereas a normal
LNB only covers a part of the dish when you go to that size of dish.
I use one myself on a 1.2 dish and you get a better signal, hope that
answers your question.

basilyoung
05-09-2010, 10:37 PM
feed horns are well worth having, dependant on your location, you will find you can access sats previously unobtainable

as said earlier, a correctly matched feedhorn to your dish ( you need to find out if your dish has a matched feed horn available) makes a huge difference

baz

Barney
05-09-2010, 11:09 PM
yep i use Inverto C120 Feedhorn on my 2 meter prime focus dish it is not exactly matched for my dish but a little D.I.Y and presistance has given me fantastic results im even now seriously considering putting up another Big dish maybbe 1.6m or 1.8m offset dish it will take a lot of work but im up for it as i do like Feedhorns compared with normal lnb's the feedhorn wins everytime for me ,
------
Barneycarlton

TonyO
06-09-2010, 12:18 AM
Without a feedhorn reception is a bit problematic, with one a 90cm or a 1.2mtr it works well with a C120 feedhorn, it needs the wider angle to get all the signal from the dish.

An astra or hotbird feedhorn is too narrow and loses too much signal.

tottenham
06-09-2010, 08:12 AM
Thanks all,

The main reason for asking was that i am trying to get the viasat channels on 4.8'E (nordic beam). I had a 1.1m dish and was able to get about 50% quality on the tp i needed. I put up the 1.25m dish at the weekend but was still only getting around 50% quality- surely they should be an improvement with a bigger dish? I am beginning to wonder if my lnb is getting full benefit of the bigger dish. I have an inverto black ultra lnb.

How would i go about matching a feed horn/lnb to my dish?

Thanks,

Tottenham

mikie8
06-09-2010, 12:48 PM
the ultra black is a desent lnb , some even report its better than a feedhorn setup . im using one myself . the ultra has a long neck , lossen the lnb clamp and move the lnb forward ( towards the dish) or backward and see if you get a better signal .

toothfairy
06-09-2010, 01:08 PM
Thanks all,

The main reason for asking was that i am trying to get the viasat channels on 4.8'E (nordic beam). I had a 1.1m dish and was able to get about 50% quality on the tp i needed. I put up the 1.25m dish at the weekend but was still only getting around 50% quality- surely they should be an improvement with a bigger dish? I am beginning to wonder if my lnb is getting full benefit of the bigger dish. I have an inverto black ultra lnb.

How would i go about matching a feed horn/lnb to my dish?

Thanks,

Tottenham

Hi tottenham, get in touch with the sponsor here and they will advise you what you need.

tottenham
06-09-2010, 06:03 PM
Thanks all!

By using the inverto lnb is it likely i am never going to get full benefit of the dish?

Tottenham

mikie8
08-09-2010, 01:32 AM
only you can test and get the answer to that question . unless someone uses the same combination of dish / lnb as you do .

you dont really want the lnb to see the whole dish face as closer to the edge means more noise . the closer to the middle means less noise and less signal . test the lnb focus by moving it forward and backwards to peak the signal , then move dish to highest bird and tweek skew .

feedhorns are normally supplied with a prime focus dish as the feedhorn will be matched to the dish . i.e. seeing most of the dish without getting edge noise .

hobbyists like to mix and match to squeeze every out db .