PDA

View Full Version : LNB problem?

Zeke
12-09-2010, 03:09 PM
For awhile I've had receptions problems.

At first I figured sun spots were responsible for the odd drop out.

Then of course the weather got bad and I figured it was just rain fade.

But I'm not so sure anymore.

Everything was perfect this morning. Best it's been in awhile. Around noon I lost most channels. I'm still getting the odd channel from both Hotbird and Astra 19E. But for the most part everything else is at 0 signal.

I guess it's possible that the uplink sites are all under the weather but I doubt it.

Anybody ever seen a LNB that works perfectly on some channels and not at all on others? At the moment it looks like only H channels are working but I'm still checking. Which I guess points to the LNB being bad.

Giga
12-09-2010, 03:17 PM
to check: f-connectors (corrosion), cable: try spare coax cable from tuner to LNB directly
check your dish alignment and pole (of by a couple of mm could cause problem)
check what transponders you get picture (High, Low, Horizontal, Vertical) if cable is ok could point at LNB failure.
test other receiver on that LNB: same problem: LNB

Zeke
12-09-2010, 03:32 PM
I think the dish alignment is fine. When it's working I'm getting 90s in both S and Q according to the receiver.

I'll disconnect the cables and see if there is any rust etc.

xanadu
12-09-2010, 03:45 PM
Anybody ever seen a LNB that works perfectly on some channels and not at all on others?

Yes I have seen this on one of my old LNB's.

satwyn
12-09-2010, 03:52 PM
your lnb could well be faulty it would still work on some of the frequency and polarity could be water ect but sunspots at this time I would not worry too much about unless they are giving you a headache

Zeke
12-09-2010, 04:07 PM
I turned off LNB power from the receiver and about a 1/3 of the channels came back. Lower signal then normal but they are working.

simon 2003
12-09-2010, 04:10 PM
ive had a few moody LNB'S m8 could be an intermittent problem,check conns and cable and get yourself a new lnb there cheap these days,see sponser goldwafers good service

Giga
12-09-2010, 04:16 PM
check if LNB parameters in receiver still match the LNB you use (Universal, ...)

Zeke
12-09-2010, 04:26 PM
Turning off the power got some channels back and lost the other ones. I'll check the other settings .

Glenn_911
12-09-2010, 04:32 PM
For awhile I've had receptions problems.

At first I figured sun spots were responsible for the odd drop out.

Then of course the weather got bad and I figured it was just rain fade.

But I'm not so sure anymore.

Everything was perfect this morning. Best it's been in awhile. Around noon I lost most channels. I'm still getting the odd channel from both Hotbird and Astra 19E. But for the most part everything else is at 0 signal.

I guess it's possible that the uplink sites are all under the weather but I doubt it.

Anybody ever seen a LNB that works perfectly on some channels and not at all on others? At the moment it looks like only H channels are working but I'm still checking. Which I guess points to the LNB being bad.

Zeke

If only the H transponders are working you better can buy a new Lnb, your Lnb is broken.

Zeke
13-09-2010, 06:20 AM
And it seems to be getting worse. Oh well wanted to upgrade the thing.

Zeke
01-10-2010, 10:22 AM
So awhile back I ordered and received the Inverto LNBs and a bracket.

I took down the dish and looked at the old LNB. One of the wires was black and had burnt itself off the F connector. The LNB port was actually melted. Ooops. Needed to change the wire and LNB obviously.

So I started to unscrew the LNB. A wasp flies out. Avoid that go back to the LNB and a second one comes at me. The wasps are the best part of the day.

Get everything off mount the new bracket and LNB. Point the dish. All I can get is Astra 19. Nothing I can do gets anything else. Between mounting and unmounting everything I manage to damage on the LNB mount screws. At this point I remember my little Penta dish is picky about the type of setup and likely doesn't like the new bracket. Ooops.

Mount just one LNB and now I can't get anything.

Try and find a new monoblock locally. Just managed to waste days.

Finally ordered one.

Mount the new monoblock. Can't find a thing. 5% signal. Pan the sky no change.

Mount new wires.

Try different receiver.

Nothing.

Did I mention the wasps were the only bright spot.

All I can figure is I some how bent the dish or the arm. Only thing I haven't tried changing yet.