PDA

View Full Version : due an upgrade what shall I get ?

we are borg
13-09-2010, 08:22 PM
Upgrade due but can not decide.

Iphone 4 considered (despite problems) Samsung (which one ) HTC (which one )

any help appreciated and other suggestions.

we are borg

gerryl
13-09-2010, 08:24 PM
iphone...ye won't regret it...feckin great...:respect-055:

paul01609
13-09-2010, 08:28 PM
iphone 3gs not the 4

gerryl
13-09-2010, 08:31 PM
iphone 3gs not the 4...runnin that here with spirit crack v3...all apps free....wow...:cheers2:...3gs good phone..:bowing-036:

we are borg
13-09-2010, 08:51 PM
thansk guys

only offering me the 1phone 4 .

16 or 32gb.

whats difference to the 3gs

we are borg

drpaulos
13-09-2010, 09:16 PM
I have both the iPhone 4 (32GB) and HTC Desire (unbranded with Android2.2 - Froyo) loaded.

Used to have the iPhone 3G S (32GB), and have played with the Samsung Galaxy S, so guess I am reasonably well qualified to answer your question ;)

The first thing to consider is whether to go for Apple (safe, pretty, but fairly dumbed down and restricted), or Android (customisable, but newer to the party so less decent apps).

The iPhone 4 is better than the 3G S, but not massively. With the latest OS (iOS4), most of the best features are available on both the 3G S and 4. It introduced multitasking (limited), folders, changeable homescreens, and a few other things. There is no support for flash video as Steve Jobs seems to have a some kind of anti-adobe thing about him....

What you will find better with the iPhone 4 over the 3G S, is faster processor, more memory, much sharper screen ("retina display") HD video, better camera (5MP instead of 3MP), camera flash and arguably better signal (but with the dead spot in the bottom left of the phone, which is addressed with a case or bumper).

Now to Android. It only has 70k+ apps instead of 200k+ apps, but I have no doubt it will catch and overtake Apple as more Android devices are getting sold than iOS devices.

The HTC Desire has a 3.7" display, and Samsung Galaxy S has a 4" display, making the phone slightly larger. Both run Android, but the Desire has the latest version 2.2 (Froyo), Galaxy S is running 2.1

Both have lovely displays, but the Desire seems to be better built, and includes a flash.

Android 2.2 was a bit of a must for the Desire as while it supports microSD card expansion up to 32GB, it only has 512MB ROM, which is where you can load applications. With 2.2, there is support for some apps to be loaded on to the SD card (dependent on the developer adding support). It also supports HD video and the "desirable" flash video support.

This is not so much of an issue for the Galaxy S, as it has 2GB ROM, so while it currently only supports 2.1, it has more space for apps. Android 2.2 should be released soon.

What is best is down to you. Personally I think there is not a lot of difference between the iPhone 3G S and 4, so you need to decide what features you prefer.

Equally for the HTC Desire and Samsung Galaxy S, there is not a lot between them.

For me, the iPhone 4 is best, then the HTC Desire, but that is down to preference.

Hope that helps :)

we are borg
13-09-2010, 11:34 PM
Hi Drpaulos

thanks for the comprehensive post.

I have been looking all night at reviews and agree with you on the top 3 phones and each has its pros and cons.

I fancy the desire or the iphone4 so I will see what they offer and what deal.

Might have to ask for my pac code and that normally prods them into a good deal.

thanks again

we are borg

drpaulos
14-09-2010, 06:58 AM
For me, the reasons why I prefer the iPhone 4 over the HTC Desire are as follows:-

1. Even though screen is slightly smaller at 3.5" on the iPhone, it is much clearer, i.e. text on forums like this are readable in the browser without having to zoom in
2. Camera is much clearer on the iPhone, although some reports say taking the back off the Desire improves picture quality (which might be the case, but going round with an expensive phone with the back cover off is just wrong imho)
3. The battery on the Desire and Galaxy S is not fantastic with it only lasting over a day with light use, whereas the iPhone 4 battery gives 2-3 days with moderate use

SAUS04
14-09-2010, 07:30 AM
I plucked for the Iphone 4 mine is comming tomorrow.

The best Iphone deals seem to be with 3 currently

I will have iphone 4 for

£30 pm 500 any net mins 5000 texts 1gb pm internet. free 3-3 calls. phone costs £99 however. if you call 3 direct and you have a mate who is on their network they do also do a recomend a friend scheme. after 60 days you get 30 quid credit and your mate get 30 quid credit. because my wife is also on 3 really the phone is costing £39.99 ;):respect-057::respect-056:

if your strugglin for a mate on 3 once i know my number i can pm you the details ;)

we are borg
14-09-2010, 01:38 PM
I am right in saying that iphone 4 has limited bluetooth operation etc.

I use it a bit for my Tv and photos so would like to keep that.

we are borg

drpaulos
14-09-2010, 02:20 PM
Yes very limited bluetooth on the iPhone. Quite why Apple are so slow to add further support is beyond me.

we are borg
24-09-2010, 06:16 AM
Just to update you I went for 16gb iphone 4.

pretty impressed but missing bluetooth and ringtone convertion is a pain in the rump.

we are borg

joany
24-09-2010, 06:34 AM
Upgrade due but can not decide.

Iphone 4 considered (despite problems) Samsung (which one ) HTC (which one )

any help appreciated and other suggestions.

we are borg

I have an HTC desire and its brilliant.

btw thanks for posting, always appreciate seeing yr avatar.

we are borg
25-09-2010, 11:29 AM
btw thanks for posting, always appreciate seeing yr avatar.

Yes that was taken a few years ago but she still look good when she gets up in morning to cook my breakfast.:302:

we are borg