PDA

View Full Version : Connecting to a router

Klingon
01-10-2010, 12:17 PM
I recently bought a Spiderbox 9000 from the sponsors along with two Spider power line routers. For the first few days I managed to get the box to connect occasionally but it always kept hanging and producing no signal. Last night I moved the router close to the receiver and connected with a cable and the box worked perfectly all night so I assume the problem is with the Spider power line routers or their connection.

I am not really able to move the router permanently to beside the satellite receiver, SWMBO would have kittens!!!!!, so any advice on other solutions?

I have a spare Belkin wireless USB router would that allow the receiver to connect if installed in the USB on the receiver?

Is the problem with the power line routers likely to be the product or the house electrical installation.

I am extremely happy with what the Spiderbox 9000 does, the picture quality is really great I just need help with a solution to the internet connection problems.

The router is a Live box from Orange and usually runs at about 3M.

Cheers

Klingon 1999

johnhenry
01-10-2010, 04:36 PM
I am lucky as i have Live Orange Box and Spiderbox Router in the same room but on opposite sides so i suppose plug sockets on the same ring circuit, your sockets might be on different ring circuits although you did say they had connected but not succesfully any chance you could try them on differt sockets in same room just to see if work okay.

goonner
01-10-2010, 05:06 PM
klingon what i have done is Router 10m Ethernet cable to a Ethernet switch then a 3m cable to spiderbox works prefect
hope that helps
Bill

joany
01-10-2010, 05:32 PM
I can't imagine that plugging the wireless router in the usb socket will be much use. I don't think the usb socket on your spiderbox will allow a network connection (if its same as the TM I have.) I think this is just to access your hard drive.

I have a problem connecting my box to the network and I solved the problem with a wireless game adaptor. (netgear weg111 here is one on fleabay _http://shop.****.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1313&_nkw=netgear+game+adaptor&_sacat=See-All-Categories)

Mine works fine.

ramjet
01-10-2010, 06:15 PM
radio interference from local taxi shops or radio hams or other wireless systems can cause these types of problems with home plugs (and vice-versa) or dect phones or anything else similar so unless the adapters can have their channel changed you would be better going for a wireless adapter option or preferably do as you have done now and use a hard wired cable like cat5

Goldenvision
01-10-2010, 08:02 PM
I use a 15m ethernet (cat5) cable under the floor, works great

Klingon
01-10-2010, 10:15 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys & gals, I got the home plug network to stabalise this afternoon, looks like there were maybe too many cables together behind the unit which hold all the AV equipment.

Thanks

Klingon1999

carshalton
02-10-2010, 12:59 PM
Home plugs do not like being plugged into an anti surge extension socket and may not work.

terry l
02-10-2010, 07:45 PM
Don't buy crap homeplug's get something decent..
pay a little bit more and get a good result..
there are good home plug's out there..

TonyO
02-10-2010, 08:03 PM
My ethernet cable is at least 25 meters long, it has a join in it and still works perfectly.

keith mawer
02-10-2010, 08:05 PM
omg!!!!!!! thats a dam downer now!!!! my pc is upstairs my tellie downstairs..I HAVE A BT HUB with 4 spare ethnet ports upstairs
i thought that if i had a ethnet lead from the bt hub ethnet socket to the home plug in and the spider ehtnet socket to the home plug it would be ok!!!!!!!!!!
i was going to get one actually

RABBY
02-10-2010, 08:12 PM
keith mawer

omg!!!!!!! thats a dam downer now!!!! my pc is upstairs my tellie downstairs..I HAVE A BT HUB with 4 spare ethnet ports upstairs
i thought that if i had a ethnet lead from the bt hub ethnet socket to the home plug in and the spider ehtnet socket to the home plug it would be ok!!!!!!!!!!
i was going to get one actually

Look m8 :D Iff you are going to bye one [IT WILL WORK ] :smash:[ BELIEVE ME] LOL:D

terry l
02-10-2010, 10:03 PM
RABBY ,
Have you tried a decent set of home plug's?...