PDA

View Full Version : success - AAF hot summer E2 image installed

ManikM
13-11-2010, 12:14 AM
after a few teething troubles i got it working!

the part1 guide that comes with the recovery tool is very good

i had issues with my usb sticks, and the AAF Maxiboot installer 0.3 (it didnt mount my usb stick)

after installing version 0.6, it mounted them fine, and i was able to install the image...

AFTERWARDS however, when choosing the corresponding USB1, 2, 3, 4 (partition) it wouldnt boot...as we all know this box is VERY fussy with USB sticks...

so i used a USB 4 way hub, and it booted....

i have the HOT SUMMER IMAGE spalsh screen NOW, as i type, with a beer by my side and KISS FM playing....ahh i feel happy, LOL!

now, lets see what all the fuss is about, im excited to compare pic quality and what else

if u want a hand doing this, let me know...i feel like an expert now.

(although im far from that!)

:respect-069:

aadham
13-11-2010, 08:24 AM
after a few teething troubles i got it working!

the part1 guide that comes with the recovery tool is very good

i had issues with my usb sticks, and the AAF Maxiboot installer 0.3 (it didnt mount my usb stick)

after installing version 0.6, it mounted them fine, and i was able to install the image...

AFTERWARDS however, when choosing the corresponding USB1, 2, 3, 4 (partition) it wouldnt boot...as we all know this box is VERY fussy with USB sticks...

so i used a USB 4 way hub, and it booted....

i have the HOT SUMMER IMAGE spalsh screen NOW, as i type, with a beer by my side and KISS FM playing....ahh i feel happy, LOL!

now, lets see what all the fuss is about, im excited to compare pic quality and what else

if u want a hand doing this, let me know...i feel like an expert now.

(although im far from that!)

:respect-069:

Looking forward to your detailed report

Steve_M
13-11-2010, 05:38 PM
Later E2 image from AAF is out now, its the Media Center Edition. Seems to have ironed out some of the bugs but haven't had much chance to try it out yet.

I've got the HD Freaks Image on a second partition and the earlier AAF Hot Summer V2 on a third to compare them.

Earlier versions of AAF Maxiboot installer won't work with later versions of Original Firmware, you can't mount the USB stick partition as you found out. Latest version is 0.7 and that works OK with 1.08.52

dizz
13-11-2010, 06:09 PM
Well done. Did you have to go back to firmware 1.21 and then start the process from scratch because you had the HDFreaks bootloader installed? Also can you do this without a serial connection because I don't have this.

ManikM
13-11-2010, 07:07 PM
nah mate, the maxi ubootloader just obliterated the old HDFREAKS one, and yeah had to do it via serial mate - i had to use a USB - Serial converter which ive had laying around for years cos my laptop dont have a serial port.

the ICE is sooo fussy about USB sticks tho

using a USB hub defo works if the stick alone doesnt.

PS yeah now on the latest AAF one -the "media center" one, i find the menus far more responsive than the hot summer one.

ManikM
13-11-2010, 07:08 PM
haha i set off a AUTO scan (all sats) before i left for the match earlier, and its just scanning 45east now, good timing - i should have lots of channels when it finishes

oh ****, i think its doing it in alphabetical order and not sat order from west to east, therefore theres a lot longer to go, so theres one negative its SLOW at scanning sats!!!!!

dizz
13-11-2010, 10:12 PM
Cheers man

ManikM
13-11-2010, 11:08 PM
no worries

ManikM
16-11-2010, 09:58 PM
Well done. Did you have to go back to firmware 1.21 and then start the process from scratch because you had the HDFreaks bootloader installed? Also can you do this without a serial connection because I don't have this.

I forgot to say, after youve flashed the bootloader with maxiboot using serial connection and ART, the usb mounting \ image installing is all done via the AAF maxiboot installer via the network, wireless or wired.

dizz
17-11-2010, 08:39 PM
I've ordered a cheap serial lead from fleabay, I'll give it a go.