PDA

View Full Version : clarke-tech ET 9000

swiffer
02-12-2010, 08:56 PM
a new linux box under Enigma 2, twin tuner is coming.:respect-057:

Seen on German site, but sorry as I am not german, i do not understand well all the spec. Same processor as DM & Vu, fanless (if I well understood)

sonic1
02-12-2010, 09:09 PM
Looks a nice box

Clarke-Tech ET9000 Enigma 2 Twin Tuner

Detail Information:

* 400MHz MIPS Processor
* HDTV H.264 Hardware
* Twin Tuner SAT
* Linux Enigma 2 OSD System
* 10/100MBit Ethernet LAN
* Grafic 12 characters VFD Front Display
* 3 x USB 2.0 conenctions, externe HDD, Keyboard, Mouse, Hub, DVD
* 1 x Sata internal for HDD
* 1 x eSata external
* 1 x HDMI
* 1 x YUV
* 2 x Common Interface Slots
* 2 x Cardreaders inside
* Multimedia Video/Audio Streaming over the network
* S/PDIF Dolby Digital AC3
* 2 Scart (RGB, FBAS or S-Video)
* RS232
* 8MB Separate boot memory
* 128MB Flash / 512 MB DDR Memory
* DiseqC 1.0/1.1/1.2/1.3 USALS
* Media Player
* Direct Plugin Download

Friendly-Face
02-12-2010, 09:33 PM
does any one know the stimated Price on this ?
is the specs above are real then it seems worth as a box

sonic1
02-12-2010, 09:38 PM
Found it for Price € 479.00 not cheap but its a decent spec box.

swiffer
02-12-2010, 09:45 PM
Not exactly the same processor as the Vu+ and DB. Seems able to manage Pip and perhaps more...

Open plimage and I think official request to the team from CT to support their box.

_http://www.pli-images.org/forum/viewthread.php?forum_id=48&thread_id=15887&pid=169926

swiffer
03-12-2010, 09:54 AM
I check quickly the 7405 Broadcom chip. It is able too to perform "motion adaptative" deinterlacing (and perhaps better upscaling algorithm) compared to the 7335.

I think, as soon as some test it, we will know if this is true or not. The picture quality should be improved.

OldSkul
03-12-2010, 01:25 PM
openpli already supports ET9000!
Box looks nice, only question is whats the status of drivers. If many things dont work good than VU+ is better option at the moment.

Friendly-Face
03-12-2010, 09:52 PM
i could not resist and have order one , time to count down the days 5 and counting

TUT
04-12-2010, 12:21 AM
i could not resist and have order one , time to count down the days 5 and counting

Please let us know how good is this receiver when you get it

swiffer
04-12-2010, 10:32 AM

Where do you order it ?
Now I am impatient to read your first impressions. :drool5:

Friendly-Face
04-12-2010, 12:41 PM
Sure guys, im a test maniac so this will be tested and then sold back to those that need it :-) cant say where i got it from realy must respect the Sponsors, but use google then you will find it somehere :-)

All that im interesed in is the PIP is that raly works then maybe i say maybe i keep the box. I hate Enigma2 as it is slow as my grandma.

swiffer
08-12-2010, 11:39 AM
some news concerning the shipping of your new toy ?

Friendly-Face
08-12-2010, 12:32 PM
yes UPS has it it has left DE yesterday so in 2 days or 3 max i will have it :-) christmas come early for me this year

OldSkul
08-12-2010, 02:21 PM
great, i hope it will be good toy .)

Likvid
08-12-2010, 02:28 PM
Yes put up some pictures of it.

Friendly-Face
08-12-2010, 05:17 PM
Sure guys, contacted UPS and they have send it from DE today i think 2 DAYS and i have it. both here and AVF will have the first pictures

OldSkul
10-12-2010, 11:32 AM
any new news?

Friendly-Face
10-12-2010, 08:36 PM
OK Guys UPS was here and as prommised i ADD here some photos, i must say this box take the roof out of DMM and VU+ in startup time is amazing fast.

Im now trying to see how the box is with Original software before i patch it with some PLI software.

Soon i will add few Photos here

will test stability and picture quailty and how fast the box is what you change channels.

anything you like me to test for you ? i test the box only with Original software to beggin with, later on i add more software on it like Pli or manulay try to install othe things

OldSkul
10-12-2010, 09:47 PM
If you can, test media player 720 and 1080p files. Also test dts
Then test if waking up and recording from deep standby works
Test if hdmi turns off after styndby
Does diseqy 1.1 works properly
Does subtitles work on totaltv package on 16e sat
Does remote control work fast and without key losses
Dooes teletext work fast or is slow
Etc etc, please test if you can and report

Tnx

NoMaD
10-12-2010, 10:47 PM
Hi FF
can you also please c/p the result of command "free"
the cpu is well a real dual core?
thanks for share your test with us and congrat for your new toy :respect-052:

Friendly-Face
10-12-2010, 11:49 PM
If you can, test media player 720 MKV plays well, it has some hick hups but that is my HDD as it is an USB HDD, have test the same HDD inside VT-1 and there is no Problem. Played toy.story.2-720p .

Test if hdmi turns off after styndby
Yes it does goe off. allso if you mean if there is no Picture, then the answer is Yes it goeas OFF

Does diseqy 1.1 works properly
Cant test this as i have motor

Does subtitles work on totaltv package on 16e sat
Do not have Totat TV , but tested SUB om Canal Digital Nordic, and Viasat Baltic all works perfect with SUB. Later on i will test UK card to

Does remote control work fast and without key losses
Remonte work wonderfuly, do not have any key loss untill now, it respond very fast and the box catches all the comands. Remonte is not the best but is useable and well thinked

Dooes teletext work fast or is slow
Teletext is fast at list on some channels that i tested.
Like C+ Action and BBC or TV 1000 that i tested is fast realy fast.

Etc etc, please test if you can and report
Sure , but untill now im well impresed with the box.
I installed Pli image, installed CCcam 2.2.1 added my 2 cards to test both cards work , scaning the channel was a bit slow but i found even channels that i never know they was there, added an extern 2.5 HDD that i use on Spiderbox and this worked out of the box Fat32 , played DIVIX and MP3 no problem , try to play DVD files this did not work.

I will test DVD driver later on and see if that works.

Tnx

I hope this is some help in so short time.

i LIKE THE BOX, it is the faststes Linux box and Enigma2 box i have tested, and when i mean that i say i have tested all linux boxes, the box is dam fast in my eyes
one thing that i did like very much was the Channel swithc was terribly fast must say way to fast.

Friendly-Face
10-12-2010, 11:53 PM
i did not quite understood you, but is it this you mean

root@et9000:~# top
Mem: 88484K used, 295316K free, 0K shrd, 44K buff, 36884K cached
CPU: 5% usr 1% sys 0% nic 88% idle 0% io 0% irq 3% sirq
Load average: 0.14 0.16 0.16 3/78 442

or this

root@et9000:~# free
total used free shared buffers
Mem: 383800 88312 295488 0 44
Swap: 0 0 0
Total: 383800 88312 295488
root@et9000:~#

Hi FF
can you also please c/p the result of command "free"
the cpu is well a real dual core?
thanks for share your test with us and congrat for your new toy :respect-052:

TUT
11-12-2010, 12:17 AM
@FF

Thanks for the great review and information
Can you tell us how is the picture quality in SD and HD ? and how it compares to other Linux boxes like DM and VU+ DUo ?

Friendly-Face
11-12-2010, 02:17 AM
Ok some more test are donne.
Add USB 32 GB and use as HDD is peice of cake and works exellent, played some divis from there with no problem.

Added DM 500 HD and VU+ SOLO that i have next to each other and i can firmmly say that CT 9000 is way better in my eyes.

I test HD on BBC HD on Thor , and picture on that is not much diferent from the other boxes, then i go to SD channel Poker Channel and here is the fun game, this channles is much beter in picture in CT 9000 then the other 2 boxes. Normaly this is the low level picture on this channel but CT managed to upscalle perhaps a bit and make it a bitt clearer to see it

All test are made on Samsung 32" tv ReadyHD

Tomorow a friedn of mine that has Vantage VT-1 and IPbox 9900 is comming to visit me and we made new more test on Picture and stability.

Untill now this box is worth the money guys. All we need now is more support from diferent teams.

@FF

Thanks for the great review and information
Can you tell us how is the picture quality in SD and HD ? and how it compares to other Linux boxes like DM and VU+ DUo ?

Likvid
11-12-2010, 02:40 AM
Check if blindcan works, it looks like the box got Sharp tuners and not Broadcom.

Also test sensitivity of the tuners compared to Vu+ if you still have it.

swiffer
11-12-2010, 09:46 AM
thanks a lot friendly face.
Could you confirm sub-titles, and multiple audio channels (when they exist) are well recorded on disk ? When you read the record, can you switch sub-title on/off and/or switch to another audio channel ?

By the way, even if I consider this as a gadget, what about the PIP features ?

swiffer
11-12-2010, 09:57 AM
an obvious question. What about the twin tuner ? Do we have the same recording capacity as the Vu+ duo ?

OldSkul
11-12-2010, 10:11 AM
-->You forgot to test recording from deep standby
-->Also can you test radio part of this receiver. Does it work ok?
-->If you use both tuners, please tell me if switching from A to B tuner works ok
-->Is there a black screen when you are switching from program x to program y.
-->Can you test if recording works on these channels: Viasat Nature East FSS, Viasat History FSS, and Explorer/Spice FSS channels on 4.8E? I guess you have these channels.
-->can you make a video with zapping speed? :)

Thanks

Delagroov
11-12-2010, 11:01 AM
And what about audiosync plugin, when using ac3 sound over hdmi to TV (with ac3 downmix on!!!)

bobby1234
11-12-2010, 11:18 AM
Does Picture in Picture work?
It only does SD and HD in PIP mode and not HD and HD right?

gorgeit
11-12-2010, 02:35 PM
have you tried a 4.2.2 feed and the dvbs2 4.2.2 feeds , important things for the feed hunter .
thanks

herbie65
11-12-2010, 06:17 PM
Im now trying to see how the box is with Original software before i patch it with some PLI software.

IO bought this machine today.
BEAUTIFULL and FAST
hoever i have no idea HOW TO flash it with the PLI software.
Can you tell me Friendly face?

Delagroov
11-12-2010, 06:19 PM
Hi herbie...on this forum i read the flash procedure.

Look for manaul on this forum and you will find the same i told you on PLi forum.

https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?p=773889#post77388 9

Friendly-Face
11-12-2010, 06:22 PM
Guys im not hoem right now but will test more later on next week.
T make few snwers, 4.2.2 does not intrest me much, so cannot say i will test it at once, but give me Frequency and satelite then i can make an efort to test as soon as possible.

PIP is working only on 1 HD and 1 SD channel , so this is tetsed.

audiosync plugin is pre-installed on the Original image, but have not tested that yet.

You forgot to test recording from deep standby
Will do that as soon as i have a another HDD as i do not waht to risk the HDD i have now, there is to much films and music to Initialize that, but later i will test with 1TB extern disk.

-->Also can you test radio part of this receiver. Does it work ok? This works perfect, teste on Thor and Sirius Radio channel and works as it should

-->If you use both tuners, please tell me if switching from A to B tuner works ok
I use both tuners , but it is only LOOP THROU becouise i have motor
The switch betwen them is smooth and i must say it is the first time i have so Smooth shwitch over.

-->Is there a black screen when you are switching from program x to program y. Yes there is black screen, but you can choose to have picture if you like

-->Can you test if recording works on these channels: Viasat Nature East FSS, Viasat History FSS, and Explorer/Spice FSS channels on 4.8E? I guess you have these channels. Yes i ahve them i have Baltic Viasat so yes i can test this as soon as the new HDD is added

-->can you make a video with zapping speed?

Sure i can, have allready made that but i do not use Youtube or any other net video streamin, but belive me it is fast realy fast, amazin fast in HD to HD channel, ot HD to SD or SD to SD, it is unbelivable fast

Could you confirm sub-titles, and multiple audio channels
Yes the Multi audio works perfect so does the Sub on the channels it self, on Recordings i have not tested that as i have NO HDD inside yet or extern.

Check if blindcan works, it looks like the box got Sharp tuners and not Broadcom.

I have not tested Blindscan but as i told before i got channels on both Thor and Sirius or on Eutelsat 16 east that i never got before, so it must be a good tuner

Also test sensitivity of the tuners compared to Vu+ if you still have it.
Well compare to VU+ SOLO then yes it seems beter tuner and more sensituve, but not that much that can be a killer

hda5
11-12-2010, 06:22 PM
Flashing procedure can be found here
https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?t=144962

OldSkul
11-12-2010, 06:29 PM
Friendly-Face, THANKS!!

So, your opinion is that this is better than VU+ DUO? What do you think about drivers overall? Any bugs you noticed?

Friendly-Face
11-12-2010, 07:01 PM
It is very easy mate.
Find the software and download it on you,r computer
Find a USB and format it to fat32.
Unzip the downloaded file to PC then transfer the folder et9000 into the root of usb.
In the et9000 folder must be the files.

Turn of the box then add the usb on the box
Turn On the box and follow the display
push the OK button on the front panel then the install start

Good luck

IO bought this machine today.
BEAUTIFULL and FAST
hoever i have no idea HOW TO flash it with the PLI software.
Can you tell me Friendly face?

swiffer
11-12-2010, 07:48 PM
thanks a lot friendly face for all your tests and your report ! :respect-applause-00

Friendly-Face
11-12-2010, 09:31 PM
To me it seesm a beter box all in all, it is stable under TV watching, it does channel change extrimly fast, works with CCcam 2.2.1 , handles Viasat, Canal Nordic, Digitalb cards with no Problems.

to be only 1 day old for me this box can stand on the same hights as the DM and VU for sure.

It is -32 here today, so i cannot go out to fit new cables and new lnb but as soon as the wheter allowes me that i will add a quad lnb so i can test PIP on diferent channels.
recordings on diferent channels and so on.

Impretion on the box is totaly possitive and i will advise it to any one. Edit : i see that Sponsor has got this on sale, i will adives any one to buy from Lee.
Support the Sponsor and by doing so you support this forum :-) i just see this now that Gold wafers have this box in sale :-)

Friendly-Face, THANKS!!

So, your opinion is that this is better than VU+ DUO? What do you think about drivers overall? Any bugs you noticed?

swiffer
12-12-2010, 08:59 AM
a last test idea. Could you also check FTPupload or download speed ?

Friendly-Face
12-12-2010, 12:23 PM
Tested, is very quick as i can see it. 2 GB of MKV film for 6 min in lan upload , and download is allmost the same :-)

Today i try to loop throu with new cable and got some problems with it, second tuner sayd to me PAT not in use or some thing like that, it happend once so i do not remeber exactly.

Initializing 1TB extern HDD was problem free, recording from EPG or directly was problem free.
UK card was problem free as long as the right boxid was in config, new viasat card from SWE did not work it the new one woth the Green logo.

Anyway i will not say anymore about this, and will test just what you guys may need to know, will stay out for some time :-)

a last test idea. Could you also check FTPupload or download speed ?

NeverDad
15-12-2010, 12:13 PM
Hi

Thanks for the helpful informations!

How did you get CCcam 2.2.1 working? I cannot access the local readers? Did you already test the ftdi for externel usb smartcard readers?

Br, ND

Friendly-Face
15-12-2010, 11:17 PM
YES Iam using CCcam 2.2.1
i use both readers Conax and NDS so they do work.

No have not tested external readers yet.

Hi

Thanks for the helpful informations!

How did you get CCcam 2.2.1 working? I cannot access the local readers? Did you already test the ftdi for externel usb smartcard readers?

Br, ND

NeverDad
16-12-2010, 09:21 AM
YES Iam using CCcam 2.2.1
i use both readers Conax and NDS so they do work.

No have not tested external readers yet.

Thanks for your quick reply!

I get Iredeto working with a S02 (Sky D) on both readers but not viaccess (SRG) and Nagra (HD+). I will check with OSCAM now.

Br, ND

swiffer
16-12-2010, 10:18 AM
does someone know if it works fine with mediaguard (Ca.nal+ France) ?

swiffer
18-12-2010, 04:06 PM
Friendly-Face, I will be soon an happy (I hope) owner of an ET9000
As I am a newcomer in linux box world, should I stay first with the original image and do all the settings with this version, softcam configuration for mediaguard (if necessary) etc.. or can I switch directly to pli2.0 beta version ?

OldSkul
19-12-2010, 12:08 PM
switch to openpli directly!

swiffer
19-12-2010, 02:53 PM
from what I understood, I think the E9000 comes with OpenPli image "v1.0". My question was can I go directly to v2.0 even if it is in beta stage.
From openpli forum, it seems that there are still some problems with some plug-ins by using the v2.0 on the ET9000

Friendly-Face
19-12-2010, 04:52 PM
No the box do not come with any Open Pli image, so there will be nothing to help you to sett up the box, like Softcams and so on.

I would say, test the box with Original image to start with, make sure all works fine in the Hardware part, then after you are sure all works as they should flash to Pli, this i say only becouse if there is any problem you can return the box in Original state..

I have no Problem with the box, and have not heard any one else to have Problems either, but beter safe then sorry they say.

Now it is Christmas and being a father time is for Chrtistmas and there is not much time for more test now.

anyway good luck to you and i will be here to help if any help is need it

swiffer
23-12-2010, 09:13 PM
receiver settings done
open-pli beta from 17 December 2010 installed
cccam 2.1.1 installed for csat
favorites done by dreamboxedit

I play with it all the afternoon, and I am totally happy concerning my choice !
good picture quality, quick zapping and no fan :-)

I have to test more deeply recording, and to solve a little problem with hypercam (this softcam is appreciated by French user for csat right update, CCCam have some known problems to update them).

swiffer
29-12-2010, 01:30 PM
For the blidscan, in tuner configuration, the tuners are referenced as : AVL2108

http://www.availink.com/product1.aspx?id=2

So, it seems they are Blind Scan tuner.

swiffer
29-12-2010, 05:31 PM
clarke-tech official support site for ET9000

http://www.clarke-support.com

I asked confirmation for the blind scan tuners.

wattifu
31-12-2010, 12:31 PM
Got mine yesterday from the Sponsors, yesterday.
First class service from them, lots of bespoke help from Lee, excellent provision.
As for the box it is my first E2 machine, very impressed with the speed, tuners, picture, great way to start the year especially for an ameoba-linux like myself.

mrdude
03-01-2011, 01:55 PM
Just ordered mine from the site sponsors today - I hope it doesn't take too long to arrive, I'll let you guys know how easy this box is to use once I get it.

I have had dreamboxes in the past so I am guessing this box will be easy to set up - now I just need to read up on cs as I haven't done that before :-).

MrKappa
24-03-2011, 12:30 PM
Ordered too. It should arrive tomorrow.

chuckiman
24-03-2011, 08:35 PM
Can any one confirm if ET9000 is C/KU band satellites receivable an on 6600SST PVR HD
receiver.

drs101
27-03-2011, 10:44 AM
So how is the picture quality compared to the ipbox9000/cuberevo?

Did you test with your mates yet?

Thanks for the review, very helpful.

D

MrKappa
27-03-2011, 12:26 PM
My perception is that picture quality is very good and superior to IPbox receiver. I guess just equal or little below Azbox which is considered one of the best stb for picture quality.

drs101
27-03-2011, 02:40 PM
My perception is that picture quality is very good and superior to IPbox receiver. I guess just equal or little below Azbox which is considered one of the best stb for picture quality.

Nice to know, think of getting one now then, did you do a direct comparison?

MrKappa
27-03-2011, 02:52 PM
Nice to know, think of getting one now then, did you do a direct comparison?

Not possible. Before I sold the Ipbox then I got the CT.

drs101
27-03-2011, 03:31 PM
Not possible. Before I sold the Ipbox then I got the CT.

No problem, thanks for the info.

silenthilldan
05-04-2011, 10:02 AM
Hello,

I know ET9000 is supposed to be good at zapping...

I have the ET9000 + VIX image
Tuner B is equal to Tuner A

It takes about 3 seconds to change a channel so I call it quite long zapping...

Normally it should take about 1 secon (or less). Anybody can help me fix this ?

Thanks.

receiver settings done
open-pli beta from 17 December 2010 installed
cccam 2.1.1 installed for csat
favorites done by dreamboxedit

I play with it all the afternoon, and I am totally happy concerning my choice !
good picture quality, quick zapping and no fan :-)

I have to test more deeply recording, and to solve a little problem with hypercam (this softcam is appreciated by French user for csat right update, CCCam have some known problems to update them).

MrKappa
05-04-2011, 10:05 AM
Hello,

What do you call quick zapping?

I have the ET9000 + VIX + cccam 2.2.1

How long does it take to change a channel on your side ?

Thanks.

I think that you have some problem. Less then 1 second for me with same configuration....

swiffer
05-04-2011, 10:12 AM
between 0,5 & 1 second, OpenPli & Ccam 2.2.1, card 018 (mediaguard)

silenthilldan
05-04-2011, 10:14 AM
Thanks Mr Kappa, I know I have a problem... ;-)

Any hints ?

moonbase
23-05-2011, 06:12 PM
Hi,

Can anybody confirm if the ET9000 can clear 4.2.2 and is the blind scan definitely working or is it subject to an upgrade ?

Rgds

CoolST
24-05-2011, 09:46 AM
Hi,

Can anybody confirm if the ET9000 can clear 4.2.2 and is the blind scan definitely working or is it subject to an upgrade ?

Rgds

About Blindscan yes working . but you need to update to the last pli-image .
and after install blind scan plugin .

about Et9000 can clear 4.2.2 , what is that ?

playboy
24-05-2011, 10:10 AM
4.2.2 work only over PC

moonbase
02-06-2011, 03:16 PM
Is it possible to view the default lists of transponders stored per satellite in the receiver ?

CoolST
03-06-2011, 08:36 AM
Is it possible to view the default lists of transponders stored per satellite in the receiver ?

Yes you can __!!

moonbase
07-06-2011, 08:45 AM
Yes you can __!!

How, what presses on the remote control do this ?

pr2
07-06-2011, 09:07 AM
Hello,

I know ET9000 is supposed to be good at zapping...

I have the ET9000 + VIX image

Normally it should take about 1 secon (or less). Anybody can help me fix this ?

Thanks.

Hi,

Create a CCcam.prio file to help your CCcam to make immediately the right choice, especially if you watch multicrypt channels (channels using severals crypto system at the same time).
I cannot provide one to you "out of the box", since it depends on which card you have and which channel you are watching.

Pr2

eclipsegr
22-06-2011, 06:37 PM
Hi guys,
I'm a new member here; have been watching sat channels for some years now, mostly FTA using a Manhattan XT-CM.
I'm about to get a little more into the "hard stuff" and I have been looking to buy a new machine. I was feeling almost certain about buying the Technomate 7102, until I saw this post about the Clarke-Tech; it seems the person that first bought it here was between the same model as I am and Clarke-Tech.
Could you please inform me about the following?
(a) Does the Technomate plays .mkv files?
(b) And if so, does it play them via wi-fi as the Clarke-Tech?
(c) Technomate has 3 tuners (2 sat + 1 ter) while Clarke-Tech only has 2 (2 sat)?
(d) Does the Clarke have a slot/bay for the hard drive that you can put in/out of it, or you have to actually open the cover to install it?
I can't think of asking anything further right now... if you have something else to add in order to finalize my decision, please feel free to do so.
Hope to read some replies soon!
Thanks.

pr2
22-06-2011, 07:34 PM
Hi,

(a) I don't know the Technomate you are talking about but the Clarke-Tech does play .mkv (but today, for DTS sounds you need to have an external amplifier, DTS downmix is not working yet).
(b) Clarke-Tech has no build-in WiFi you need to add an external USB WiFi stick.
(c) Yes Clarke-Tech has 2 build-in tuners that cannot be changed but you can add external USB tuner. Personnally I use Sundtek DVB-T/C stick, so now I have 3 fully functionnal tuner on my ET9000.
(d) No you need to open the box, but you can also connect external HDD, or directely record to a NAS through your network. So in fact, you even don't need to install an internal HDD to record on the ET9000. :-)

Hope this answer your questions.

Pr2

eclipsegr
23-06-2011, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the info pr2.
The Technomate I'm talking about can be seen in their website (not sure if I'm allowed to post link of the company/machine in this forum).
I also saw another one today made by Icecrypt; the model is STC6000HDPVR, which once again it has 2 tuners (2 x DVB-S2 and no DVB-T2). Don't know if this one plays .mkv - if anyone knows about it please let me know.

If I am allowed to post links of models through the manufacturer website, please let me know so I can do that.

Many thanks.

gbmitie
23-06-2011, 06:21 PM
there was a lenghty review in wotsat about the 7102, its not linux so no flexibility but very impressive.

gbmitie

eclipsegr
23-06-2011, 07:15 PM
as I said I'm new to this whole "world"... what exactly do you mean by "flexibility"?
As far as I know Linux is a programing language... what does that have to do with the machine? What does a Linux machine give you more than a "regular" one?

Hectore
24-06-2011, 07:25 AM
As far as I know Linux is a programing language...

Hello,

Linux is not a programing language. It's a Operating System like Windows, Free BSD (Unix), Mac OS X, etc...

C#,C,C++,Java,Python,etc... are a programing language.

and E2 is a application written in Python langage.

Regards.

pr2
24-06-2011, 10:33 AM
Hi,

On an open Linux STB, people can develop their own applications, so this enhanced the end-user experience. On a "closed" proprietary STB you can only use what is provided in standard by the manufacturer.

Pr2

eclipsegr
24-06-2011, 01:56 PM
Yes Linux is an operating system, that's correct; my mistake!

As for "develop their own applications"? What do you mean? Like what kind of "own applications" one can have in his machine? Play games and stuff like that, because I'm not interested in games...

pr2
24-06-2011, 02:41 PM
Hi,

Software to enable internal card reader for a wide variety of card (no need for a CI module), better EPG (takes EPG informations from the internet for channels that don't broadcast any EPG informations), Weather forecast, RSS Reader, ...

There are plenty of applications running aroung Enigma2 based STB.

Pr2

eclipsegr
25-06-2011, 04:43 PM
Ok, I guess I have a lot to learn :-)
Regarding the Card Reader for a wide variety of card without the need for a CI module, most receivers now have the so called Multi-card reader slots... many have 2 of them.
So, if you have those, do you need software to change I guess somehow what they can read or not?
As for applications and also further info, running around Enigma2 (which I have no idea what that is) where can be found?
Thanks.