PDA

View Full Version : My experience with E2 Media Center edition

jacksback
13-01-2011, 04:17 PM
Hey Guys.

Just thought I would report on my experiences and the things I've accomplished since converting my IceCrypt to Enigma2. I chose to do the full flash install and have removed the drive and connected my IceCrypt to my Windows server using a Samba share. The plan was to always record content on my server and have the option to watch it anywhere around the house.

Media Player - It's as Buggy as hell if playing anything other than recorded content. I'm officially staying away from the media capabilities until it's more stable. There is a really nice XBMC looking skin available in the plugins menu that makes it look a lot more professional for those keen to check it out.

EPG - I can only use the Rytec EPG plugin here in South Africa but the AAF image doesn't support it yet. Luckily my Vu+ Duo is also running Enigma2 because I recently discovered, while playing around with the network share, that the AAF image is able to read in the Vu+ compiled epg.dat file. I am now able to display the same 14 day Rytec XML produced EPG on my IceCrypt/Enigma2 receiver. Happy Days!!

EMUs/CAMS - I have an Irdeto card which works well with CCcam. The Vu+ is my card server and shares the card with the IceCrypt/Enigma2. I struggled a bit to find a working client on the AAF image because Incubuscamd doesn't play nice with CCcam 2.1.1 and higher and the Vu+ only has 2.1.3 up to 2.2.1. Mgcamd worked but I had sporadic freezing and 75% of my HD channels didn't clear. I then tried OSCAM which works perfectly. All channels clear and no more hanging.

Tweaking - There are some nice overclocking options available in the AAF menu which really speed up the booting process. You are also able to slow down the CPU clock while in StandBy which should make those going green happy. I've changed mine from 233 to 333 during "boot only" and down to 166 while in Standby, down from 233. No smoke or any malfunctioning detected so my settings must be cool. Ive also hard coded the IceCrypt to go into StandBy mode when I press Power Off. The default setting prompted you with a selection of StandBy, Deep Standby, etc, which was a little annoying because I have a Harmony remote and had to manually select the device again and choose the option.

I've also updated all my channel names and numbers using DreamEdit and they all work well and retain their settings after a restart. I'm going to start downloading my channel icons and will use them to create picons.

All in all I'm happy to be on Enigma2 and can only imagine it's going to get better over time.

ManikM
13-01-2011, 11:52 PM
thanks mate, nice report.

jacksback
14-01-2011, 08:44 AM
thanks mate, nice report.

No problem. Just a thought, do you have any mates that own a Vu+ or Dreambox with Enigma2? You could get them to generate your epg.dat file to use on the IceCrypt/Enigma image, although the EPG in the Plugins menu on the AAF image states that it is modified to work with Sly. Maybe try get it to work again?