PDA

View Full Version : Some silly questions

Rebel
15-01-2011, 02:58 AM
Hi guys, got a few silly questions to ask as Im interested in buying either a spiderbox or a protek 9750, but to be honest the spiderbox seems to offer better value for money, though I dont know which opens more channels and I do know the Protek updates automatically unlike the Spiderbox which has to be done manually as I understand it.

1. Am I right in thinking (after reading a lot of threads here) If I choose the Spider 9000HD I can recieve/watch 3D channels if I get a 3d TV at a later date?

2. If I buy a 9000Combi HD receiver is the freeview receiver HD or SD? one retailer says freeview is SD only but another seemed to indicate it was HD (I realise the satellite receiver is still HD, so not completely silly just 90% ;))

3. There is at least one retailer saying the "gift" no longer has an expiry date so it will continue indefinately not just last for 12 months, is that correct?

4. Do I need an internet connection to the Spiderbox if so what features will this provide and what will I lose if I am not connected to the internet? I don't want to stream the programmes as I have aerial sockets in most rooms with an aerial amplifier/splitter so would watch via the RF other than to watch (hopefully) movies in HD and maybe even some XXX HD who knows :)

5. Last question for a while ( ;) ) I would like the wife to be able to use the receiver and she is a technophobe and never bothered with my old equipment at all. What sort of EPG (electronic program guide) is on the freesat channels at 28 east, is it only now and next or is there a full epg allowing series links etc for recording to an external USB drive?

Meant to ask, where do you guys get your Longitude/lattitude details from, are the settings shown on my iphone (built in gps receiver) okay to use or if not what setting details should I use?

Sorry for all the questions but I've been out of the world of satellite TV for a while and I'm starting all over again so it seems.

Thanks in advance for any and all help guys, its appreciated.

mister-t
15-01-2011, 09:23 AM
here are a few answers to your questions

1 yes
2 not sure about question 2 as i have not go that reciever
3 there seems a little bit of confusion about the gift at the minute as all channels will soon be moving to service+ all darkman has stated at the moment is that the gift will last longer than 12months,how much longer is anyones guess
4 internet connection is needed to use the gift channels,if you watch hd films
via rf out then it will not be as good as using hdmi lead,as you need hdmi lead or component leads to get true 1080 signal

long lat you can get by your sat nav,dishpointer.com

mister-t

folky
15-01-2011, 09:50 AM
2. If I buy a 9000Combi HD receiver is the freeview receiver HD or SD? one retailer says freeview is SD only but another seemed to indicate it was HD (I realise the satellite receiver is still HD, so not completely silly just 90% ;))

Goldwafers says 1 x Terrestrial DVB-T so no not HD on the freeview side.

5.What sort of EPG (electronic program guide) is on the freesat channels at 28 east, is it only now and next or is there a full epg allowing series links etc for recording to an external USB drive?

The EPG is garbage just now and next. There are no plugings available for this receiver.

Meant to ask, where do you guys get your Longitude/lattitude details from, are the settings shown on my iphone (built in gps receiver) okay to use or if not what setting details should I use?.

I never use USALS but when I have tried it I just Googled for my Longitude/Lattitude.

Folky

Rebel
15-01-2011, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the info guys, every little helps (as the advert says :))

Shame about the epg as it means the wife will probably not even bother trying :( so the lack of a usable EPG throws everything up in the air again :(

john.dat
15-01-2011, 04:01 PM
..the Protek updates automatically unlike the Spiderbox which has to be done manually as I understand it.

This is for S/W box updates only using a USB stick, very easy, a few mins only .If more chann' become available, normally you wouldn't need to do anything