PDA

View Full Version : changing lnb?

kardex
17-01-2011, 02:13 PM
Hi all,
Lnb has packed up.
Can I stick a s k y mk4 quad lnb on my triax 1.1m until my brother brings me my old quad back.

I don't want to go on the roof if it won't work.

kardex

Detlef
17-01-2011, 02:56 PM
The quick answer is yes if it has a 40mm collar size.

The Sky ones have a serated pattern which stands proud of the 40mm so you may need to file that off before going up the ladder.

Also the Sly ones have an oval acceptance pattern (dish is wider across than its height) and the LNB is supposed to be tailored to that, but I haven't found it to be a problem.

kardex
17-01-2011, 03:34 PM
Thanks

Looks like its up the ladder for me.

kardex

Detlef
17-01-2011, 06:37 PM
I'll be interested in your signal strength readings with the Sly one and then later from your old quad.

As I said, the Sly ones are said by many to be unsuitable due to the pattern.

I have used them on an 80cm (offset with the dish height greater than its width) and a 120cm (offset that appears round) without ill effects but most of the birds I look at don't need a very sensitive set up.

kardex
21-01-2011, 11:06 PM
I'll be interested in your signal strength readings with the Sly one and then later from your old quad.

As I said, the Sly ones are said by many to be unsuitable due to the pattern.

I have used them on an 80cm (offset with the dish height greater than its width) and a 120cm (offset that appears round) without ill effects but most of the birds I look at don't need a very sensitive set up.

Mk 4 lnb is working great, still getting all the channels I usually get, and didn't have to file anything off the lnb. Strength/quality still great.
So I won't be going up on the roof to change it back to my old quad.

kardex

Detlef
27-01-2011, 12:25 AM
Great stuff! Glad to be of help.