PDA

View Full Version : Problems installing E2 on s4000

plaskotki
21-01-2011, 11:26 AM
Hi guys, I don't think I can win with this box... I have spent a few hours last night trying to install E2 usb version. I did not succeed. I used AAF v4.4 and as per manual I started off with installing maxiboot. The receiver connects to the box fine, the booting process is stopped,AAF displays a message:
server something... done
uploading image...
and nothing happens! The manual says it should take 2 mins. I left it running for 40 - no progress. I was using a laptop with wix xp and native serial port. Turned off the antivirus and firewall. I have made a few attempts with the same outcome. Am I missing something? I don't have to turn my icecrypt into Atevio to be able to do it first, do I? I am fed up. I wnt to bed at 2am last night and had not achieved anything with the Icecrypt. Any suggestions?

jacksback
21-01-2011, 12:15 PM
Hey plaskotki.

The AAF image was designed for the Atevio model so I think you will need to update the DeviceID before trying anything. I've never tried the USB way before but Manic has so he should be able to assist. The fact you updated your bootloader means your serial cable is working. Just make sure to check that your IP addresses match what you entered in the AAF recovery tool.

How long is your serial cable because it might cause problems if it's too long.

plaskotki
21-01-2011, 12:44 PM
Hey plaskotki.

The AAF image was designed for the Atevio model so I think you will need to update the DeviceID before trying anything. I've never tried the USB way before but Manic has so he should be able to assist. The fact you updated your bootloader means your serial cable is working. Just make sure to check that your IP addresses match what you entered in the AAF recovery tool.

How long is your serial cable because it might cause problems if it's too long.
Hi, I have not actually managed to update the bootloader. The attempts have made no change. I have just been looking at other ways of doing this, but they look to technical to me I think.

jacksback
21-01-2011, 01:12 PM
Hi, I have not actually managed to update the bootloader. The attempts have made no change. I have just been looking at other ways of doing this, but they look to technical to me I think.

Ok, first things first....

1.) Where did you obtain your null modem cable from and how long is it?
2.) Does the cable actually work, are you able to "connect" to the IceCrypt from within AAF?
3.) If you are able to connect to the IceCrypt, can you write back the IP addresses, re-read them and confirm they are the same?

Remember that both devices have to be connected to the same network and also have the Serial cable between them.

plaskotki
21-01-2011, 01:32 PM
This is my null modem (3m):
serial-null-modem-9-pin-female-to-9-pin-female-97740" from ma_plin I have succesfully used porter in the past to update firmware.
Yes, I am able to connect from AAF. I have been checking and re-checking these. The only strange thing I observed is that on the left hand side (Icecrypt side)-the settings don't contain zeros like here (similar situation I noticed is in the AAF manual part1 page15
192.168.1.66 | 192.168.001.066
I have tried to insert zeros but when I clicked save, they dissapeared :) and yes, they are both connected to the home network. I use powerplugs to connect to the router. I may try to come up with an idea how to connect without them just to eliminate possible interruptions.

jacksback
21-01-2011, 02:52 PM
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the null modem cable should be 1 meter or shorter. I made my own one and it's very short.

The other thing regarding the IPs, did you successfully read your Mac address while in AAF?

My process was

Note down IPs, power off IceCrypt, connect serial cable, Launch AAF and press "connect", flick power switch on IceCrypt and wait for AAF to be connected. Read MAC, update IPs and "Write All".

Have you had any success when doing the above?

plaskotki
21-01-2011, 03:18 PM
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the null modem cable should be 1 meter or shorter. I made my own one and it's very short.

The other thing regarding the IPs, did you successfully read your Mac address while in AAF?

My process was

Note down IPs, power off IceCrypt, connect serial cable, Launch AAF and press "connect", flick power switch on IceCrypt and wait for AAF to be connected. Read MAC, update IPs and "Write All".

Have you had any success when doing the above?
Yes, I was able to do all this. I will be trying tonight again. I got a longer network cable and I will plug the pc and stb to the router directly avoiding powerplugs.
I have two serial null modem cables. The other one is shorter about 2m, but this made no difference.
If this doesn't work, I may try the usb and putty method.
ManikM, can you please share your expertise?

ManikM
21-01-2011, 03:44 PM
you dont have to change the resellet id.

could you mount and format the partitions on the USB stick using the other utillity ART ?

is the server IP address the one thats holding the "E2 Image"

ramjet
21-01-2011, 03:45 PM
the correct serial null modem from m*plin would be Order Code: L71BT

plaskotki
21-01-2011, 03:48 PM
the correct serial null modem from m*plin would be Order Code: L71BT
Hi, this is the very one I've got and I used it yesterday.

plaskotki
21-01-2011, 03:51 PM
you dont have to change the resellet id.

could you mount and format the partitions on the USB stick using the other utillity ART ?

is the server IP address the one thats holding the "E2 Image"
I have not even managed to instal maxouboot... the ART gets stuck on uploading image...
Having not gone through this step, I have not tried partitioning and mounting usb.

ManikM
21-01-2011, 06:19 PM
tut, mate!!! your rubbish.

haha.

when im at home i'll have a look, the GUIDE i used was spot on

plaskotki
21-01-2011, 10:15 PM
I have followed the same guide mate. Word by word. I will try again later on tonight. Wish me luck.

ManikM
21-01-2011, 10:37 PM
haha good luck mate!!!!

plaskotki
22-01-2011, 01:14 PM
Guys thanks so much for your help. Big thank you to manikm, who found the problem and solution! We were on line until 2am! When i plugged stb and pc directly to router it all worked and also his advice on using usb hub and changing usb stick was spot on!

ManikM
22-01-2011, 03:55 PM
:)

no worries mate!

plaskotki
22-01-2011, 04:36 PM
Having now succesfully installed E2, I need to figure out how to use it. From what I've seen, I think I can use Dreambox dm800 official manual to guide me through setting up disec switch settings. I have run the auto scan but only picked up 28.2 and none of cyfra+ channels from 13.0. Any advise would be very welcome.

ColdAsICE
24-01-2011, 01:42 PM
Plaskotki as your not an E2 freak or expert yet you should be able to give an impartial review regarding it. I would like to hear your opinion if its an improvement over the original firmware for everyday use or not.

ManikM
24-01-2011, 01:47 PM
regardless of extra features etc E2 gives you, the main reason which STOPS me from using it, is picture quality.

the official firmware's pic quality is outstanding =- the e2 pic quality sucks! it suffers from a frame drop type problem - not smooth, and generally is quite buggy and crashes from time to time.

the octagon guys in germany are constantly enhancing and bringin out plugins for the official firmware, which are not publicised on here, such as the web interface, skins, file recording fixers etc!

jacksback
24-01-2011, 01:58 PM
regardless of extra features etc E2 gives you, the main reason which STOPS me from using it, is picture quality.

the official firmware's pic quality is outstanding =- the e2 pic quality sucks! it suffers from a frame drop type problem - not smooth, and generally is quite buggy and crashes from time to time.

the octagon guys in germany are constantly enhancing and bringin out plugins for the official firmware, which are not publicised on here, such as the web interface, skins, file recording fixers etc!

I honestly don't think it's as bad as you say it is, AND I consider myself a PQ freak. One thing that really improves the HD side of things is the Auto Resolution plugin. All SD channels are fine regardless of plugin.

I wonder if your provider uses a different codec to mine which brings out the worst in the image?

plaskotki
24-01-2011, 04:38 PM
Plaskotki as your not an E2 freak or expert yet you should be able to give an impartial review regarding it. I would like to hear your opinion if its an improvement over the original firmware for everyday use or not.
I will do. At the moment I find it very different from the original software. I like the 'soft touch' to it, ability to change skins and the web interface. I find the plugins more confusing comparing to the original soft. I am glad that I installed the usb version, as I would not be able to watch cyfra+ channels on E2 as I struggle with installing a plugin that would clear the channels. So it's stil work in progress. Will keep reporting.

ManikM
25-01-2011, 12:33 AM
the frame rate suffers slight drops, it judders, i noticed it on hd channels, and on sd from random browsing, i will not begin to use e2 if the pic quality is going to be like that....actually its not really pic quality, its frame rate quality im talking about

plaskotki
25-01-2011, 01:37 AM
I like

Pros
-the 'soft touch' of the E2
-picons
-EPG
changeable skins
-web interface

cons
-installing plugins is very confusing. I preferred using usb. I cannot find a plugin to clear my cyfra+ card.
-there seems to be very little support for E2 on Icecrypt/atevio etc
-I use full usb version and the picture is a bit 'laggy' on HD channels
-long booting time

To summarise-at the moment I can't get it to do what I could fairly easily do with the original Icecrypt software, but I see its potential

ManikM
07-05-2011, 02:37 PM
well i am now using E2 instead of the ori software.

VERY VERY HAPPY with the AAF SPRING IMAGE.

PQ is excellent, no judder, and ive recorded 2 HD channels whilst watching one, nothing suffers!

just shows u what the hardware CAN do when put to proper effect.

currently using latest catseyes channel list - brushed alu skin - crossEPG - cool tv guide - CAMD 3.902

plaskotki
08-05-2011, 01:05 AM
well i am now using E2 instead of the ori software.

VERY VERY HAPPY with the AAF SPRING IMAGE.

PQ is excellent, no judder, and ive recorded 2 HD channels whilst watching one, nothing suffers!

just shows u what the hardware CAN do when put to proper effect.

currently using latest catseyes channel list - brushed alu skin - crossEPG - cool tv guide - CAMD 3.902

That is vry good! I have not had time to install image 31 yet. I am using a full usb 27 version. As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts-the picture quality is outstanding! However, E2 now and then misses a timer. But this might be someting to do with Polish EPG, as the original software used to record from a different channel now and then...
Also I have it hooked up to Onkyo home cinema amp via hdmi connector. I noticed that I change the inut selection to game when the boys want to play on the Xbox-the E2 tends to crush then... I have to try to connect it to my tv directly and test it. But in this setup, the sd channels are not going to be upscaled like their are by my Onkyo. But apart from this, I am quite happy.

ManikM
08-05-2011, 08:08 AM
The images before this one suffered picture frame rate loss, this one is spot on

Midnight R
14-05-2011, 08:29 AM
Can anyone comment on Cccam stability?

ManikM
14-05-2011, 08:44 AM
no, dont use it, if u want to lend me your c-line....i can test

plaskotki
08-06-2011, 10:17 AM
I have lost my patientce with E2 last night. I had it installed on usb, then flash memory and had been experiencing the same problems :banghead:

picture freezing when changing HDM input (as Manik M discovered this can be solved by using a componet cale at the cost of picture quality
pixelation or unable to watch HD channels with original Cyfra+ card (tried installing and deinstalling oscam, but the problem persists (they work perfectly with .94 and MCas

Info for ManikM-whan installing E2 in flash, AAF changes bootargs, and wipes out the original software. The Multiboot options are still there, but no matter which one you select using arrow keys, it will revert to booting with flash e2.

I reverted the box to dedicated software by using AAF recovery image. It changed the reseller id to Atevio 7000, and I could not change it over to Icecrypt. To do this you would need to reolace a specific file in the AAF recovery tool. I did not want to end up with Atevio, as their dedicated s/w does not have the blue button in EPG menu, so openTV epg cannot be downloaded. I then had to install maxiboot again and then I was able to change the reseller id and install .94 for ice. I then reinstalled full usb E2 spring edition as I have some recordings on my hdd which were done with E2 and .94 will not play those.
Together with ManikM we have unsuccessfully tried getting help from AAF guys as well as PKF guys. I am sure that sooner or later ManikM will get to the bottom of the problem. He is a real enthusiast who does not give up easily.

ManikM
08-06-2011, 11:00 AM
you were very brave to have did what you did, i cannot see the benefit of installing E2 into Flash, its fine running off my internal HDD, and that is where it will stay.

i will keep nagging AAF for the HDMI bug problem, which im sure it is, im starting to beleive that its an ICECRYPT S4000 specific problem, i reckon the problem won't happen if we did the same on a Octagon SF1018, or an ATEVEIO (hardware issue methinks)

so until the AAF guys can replicate the problem on a S4000 - then i dont think we'll be seeing a fix.

i noticed the new bootloader has an HDMI fix, BUT maxiboot will overwrite this, so i dont think installing that will help.

I dont have any smart cards to test your pixelating error mate, have u tried more than one softcam?

plaskotki
08-06-2011, 01:32 PM
When I initially installed e2 I have tried a number of emus and oscam was the only one that I got anywhere with. The picture was all fine until I installed PKF image. I thought that reinstalling everything would cure the picture issue, but unfortunately it hasn't... A guy in Poland is trying the same oscam with the same settings on octagon receiver and PKT image. I'll be interested to hear his experience. I know I'll probably go back to trying later on, but for now I've had enough.

ManikM
08-06-2011, 01:38 PM
Have you tried the AAF Spring image? with OSCAM...?

plaskotki
08-06-2011, 02:36 PM
Have you tried the AAF Spring image? with OSCAM...?
yes, I have. Both version 27 and 31 used to work fine, but not anymore. I have also tried different location of SWAP files. Freesat HD channels are working absolutely fine. Maybe it's my Ice getting worn out :)