PDA

View Full Version : openVPN and RC4

pikkia2000
29-01-2011, 10:03 PM
Is there any procedure on how to install and configure openVPN on RC4 or previous RTI releases?

sectorNOlimits
30-01-2011, 01:04 AM
Is there any procedure on how to install and configure openVPN on RC4 or previous RTI releases?

It's easy like say 1,2,3....
telnet to the box, then give these commands:
>ipkg update
>ipkg install openvpn

Now you have openvpn installed. You need just to put your configuration files....

SNL

pikkia2000
30-01-2011, 10:23 AM
thanks installation is ok...but now in which path should I put keys and client.conf files?

sectorNOlimits
30-01-2011, 04:38 PM
thanks installation is ok...but now in which path should I put keys and client.conf files?

First of all we need to understand how openvpn starts: in this system services scripts are in /etc/init.d and a symlink to the service script should be in rc3.d folder so the system know how and what to start/stop.

Now if we have a look to /etc/init.d/openvpn script it's easy understand the answer to your queustion:
CONFIG_DIR=/etc/openvpn

in this folder you can put your config file openvpn.conf and all other stuff as you configure in your openvpn.conf.

In the script you have to change
OPENVPN_ON=0 to something !=0 (1)
if you want your vpn starts when your system bootup.

SNL

pikkia2000
30-01-2011, 09:32 PM
thanks SNL...but i still have problems. see below:

root@AZBox:~# /usr/sbin/openvpn start
Options error: Unrecognized option or missing parameter(s) in start:5: if (2.1_rc20)

sectorNOlimits
30-01-2011, 09:53 PM
thanks SNL...but i still have problems. see below:

root@AZBox:~# /usr/sbin/openvpn start
Options error: Unrecognized option or missing parameter(s) in start:5: if (2.1_rc20)

That way you're passing parameter start to the "real" openvpn executable not to the script; try with:

/etc/init.d/openvpn start

SNL

pikkia2000
30-01-2011, 11:26 PM
ok, now it starts but with ifconfig I can't see tun0....looking at openvpn log I can see:

Sun Jan 30 23:22:57 2011 us=874576 Note: Cannot open TUN/TAP dev /dev/net/tun: No such device (errno=19)
Sun Jan 30 23:22:57 2011 us=875063 Note: Attempting fallback to kernel 2.2 TUN/TAP interface
Sun Jan 30 23:22:57 2011 us=907592 Cannot allocate TUN/TAP dev dynamically

sectorNOlimits
01-02-2011, 12:32 AM
You're right; it is missing tun.ko kernel module for tun device. I've tested many tun.ko taken from the web but no one is ismod-able on this kernel. And I don't understand the real reason. Maybe we need to wait for some customized distro (like DS or SIF) and have luck to find inside them the appropriate tun.ko.
Or we can try to ask to The_Ripper if he can compile this module.

SNL

pikkia2000
01-02-2011, 09:56 AM
You're right; it is missing tun.ko kernel module for tun device. I've tested many tun.ko taken from the web but no one is ismod-able on this kernel. And I don't understand the real reason. Maybe we need to wait for some customized distro (like DS or SIF) and have luck to find inside them the appropriate tun.ko.
Or we can try to ask to The_Ripper if he can compile this module.

SNL
Maybe you are not lucky like me ;). try with the attached one....it was compiled by an italian friend....
It works very well

sectorNOlimits
01-02-2011, 10:16 AM
Maybe you are not lucky like me ;). try with the attached one....it was compiled by an italian friend....
It works very well

It works like a charm!! I really like to understand how to compile module or some else programs for this system. Can you ask your friend if he is so polite to explain the minimal steps for preparing an enviroment for doing this job, or where I can find an easy way for beginning.
I'm not a newbie in programming and operating system configuration. But I never cross-compiled.

Thanks.

SNL

triplexxx
01-02-2011, 04:48 PM
It works very well
were to install this file

pikkia2000
01-02-2011, 05:06 PM
were to install this file

put tun.ko under /etc/openvpn/ then run:

insmod /etc/openvpn/tun.ko

triplexxx
01-02-2011, 05:21 PM
thanks pikkia2000 were can i see if the vpn start or no in dm800 with ifconfig i see
regards

pikkia2000
01-02-2011, 09:48 PM
thanks pikkia2000 were can i see if the vpn start or no in dm800 with ifconfig i see
regards

here below the right procedure to have openvpn running

1)install openvpn:
opkg install openvpn

2)put openvpn.cfg and keys in /etc/openvpn then edit openvpn according with your preference and the right path for keys (/etc/openvpn/)

3)then start openvpn:

4)and check tun0:
ifconfig

triplexxx
02-02-2011, 12:19 AM
i cant make to run vpn
root@AZBox:~# /etc/init.d/openvpn start
/bin/sh: illegal option -
root@AZBox:~#

ambrosio
04-02-2011, 09:39 AM
here below the right procedure to have openvpn running

1)install openvpn:
opkg install openvpn

2)put openvpn.cfg and keys in /etc/openvpn then edit openvpn according with your preference and the right path for keys (/etc/openvpn/)

3)then start openvpn:

4)and check tun0:
ifconfig

Hi, thanks for the instructions but... I've done all steps exactly as you mentioned, inserted put tun.ko under /etc/openvpn/ and run

insmod /etc/openvpn/tun.ko but still no tun showing on ifconfig command. Any ideas? :o15::o15::o15:

pikkia2000
04-02-2011, 12:19 PM
Hi, thanks for the instructions but... I've done all steps exactly as you mentioned, inserted put tun.ko under /etc/openvpn/ and run

insmod /etc/openvpn/tun.ko but still no tun showing on ifconfig command. Any ideas? :o15::o15::o15:

try giving a look into the openvpn.log:

1) reboot

2) edit openvpn.conf and add (or modify)the followiong lines:
log /temp/openvpn.log
verb 5

3) Load tun.ko:
insmod /etc/openvpn/tun.ko

4) start openvpn:

5) check tun0:
ifconfig

6) if you don't see tun0 open /tmp/openvpn.log

dsnet69
26-02-2011, 02:15 AM
Hi, can anyone help to install openvpn on new RC5 ?
I have done all the above steps but when i run /etc/init.d/openvpn start i get :
root@AZBox:~# /etc/init.d/openvpn start
/bin/sh: illegal option -

Thx...

sectorNOlimits
26-02-2011, 11:20 AM
Hi, afain.
Finally I got the log working but
when I try to load tun.ko with insmod /etc/openvpn/tun.ko I get the foolowing error:
insmod: can't insert 'etc/openvpn/tun.ko': invalid module format

Any ideas?????:rofl::rofl:

Yes, it is for another kernel version. The Ripper has compiled one for RC4 and one for RC5. Are you sure you are using the riht one?
Look for tun.ko on you system doing

>find / -name tun.ko

Ensure you have just one and it is the right for the kernel you have installed. Then try to insmod this module, look inside the script at look for insmod instruction here, maybe there another one. Then try to start the openvpn script. It shoukld work.

SNL

dsnet69
26-02-2011, 06:58 PM
where can we find this version for rc5?

antonis13
26-02-2011, 08:47 PM
this is for RC5 it work good,The problem for me is that I make openvpn start automatically hangs in booting, only with telnet I can activate it, if I add the line in rcS crashes, any solution?

dsnet69
26-02-2011, 10:27 PM
Thanks antonis.
Error gone , I removed openvpn and installed again and all ok now...:)

ambrosio
27-02-2011, 07:50 PM
Yes, it is for another kernel version. The Ripper has compiled one for RC4 and one for RC5. Are you sure you are using the riht one?
Look for tun.ko on you system doing

>find / -name tun.ko

Ensure you have just one and it is the right for the kernel you have installed. Then try to insmod this module, look inside the script at look for insmod instruction here, maybe there another one. Then try to start the openvpn script. It shoukld work.

SNL

I've been using Rc4 tun.ko I've placed the new one for rc5 and everything works great. Thankz!!!:respect-040:

sectorNOlimits
27-02-2011, 08:54 PM
this is for RC5 it work good,The problem for me is that I make openvpn start automatically hangs in booting, only with telnet I can activate it, if I add the line in rcS crashes, any solution?

I explained in a previous post on how to setup openvpn starting on boot in the right way as service. Do a script in /etc/init.d that starts your vpn, then create a symlink in /etc/rc3.d to this script naming it S90openvpn.
It should work.
SNL