PDA

View Full Version : shaver adapter warning

speedway
16-02-2011, 06:51 PM
Shaver adaptor warning!!
Please note the cheap shaver adaptors ARE NOT suitable for use with Spiderbox receivers.
These are fused at 1 amp and although this would be sufficient to run a receiver it will NOT withstand the switch on surge.
You might get away with using one a few times BUT the fuse WILL fail sooner or later and if this happened during a data transfer then you will have to carry out a recovery.
To avoid problems NEVER use one of these adaptors you will simply be asking for trouble, use one of the two to three pin converters where the two pin plug is pushed into the adaptor and a screw is tightened to hold it in place this will also need to have a 3 or 5 amp fuse fitted.
Please any member using a shaver adaptor take note and get rid of it before your receiver fails to work.

satwyn
16-02-2011, 07:31 PM
they usiallay come with 3 pin adaptor plugs

RABBY
16-02-2011, 08:08 PM
speedway

Shaver adaptor warning!!
Please note the cheap shaver adaptors ARE NOT suitable for use with Spiderbox receivers.
These are fused at 1 amp and although this would be sufficient to run a receiver it will NOT withstand the switch on surge.
You might get away with using one a few times BUT the fuse WILL fail sooner or later and if this happened during a data transfer then you will have to carry out a recovery.
To avoid problems NEVER use one of these adaptors you will simply be asking for trouble, use one of the two to three pin converters where the two pin plug is pushed into the adaptor and a screw is tightened to hold it in place this will also need to have a 3 or 5 amp fuse fitted.
Please any member using a shaver adaptor take note and get rid of it before your receiver fails to work.

Think about it m8?? [ Shaver ] In the Toilet , lots of water about !!!!!YOU COULD GET [ ZAPPED ]:D That is why there is only [ 1 Amp FUSE ];)

Satcat
16-02-2011, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the warning Speedway.
I believe the boxes do come with a 13amp adapter included now. I've had mine for nearly a year now and it didn't, so what I did was to plug the 2 pin plug straight into a 13amp extension lead socket. Just push a screwdriver into earth socket to open the live and neutral pin sockets and push it in. Works fine.

terry l
17-02-2011, 12:42 AM
Err satcat,try doing that with the leccy on you'll light up like a bleeding christmas tree..lol...

TonyO
17-02-2011, 01:02 AM
Shaver sockets are for what they meant for, low power shavers.

On the continent they all the same.

roybach
17-02-2011, 12:53 PM
The 9000HD I bought was supplied with a 3pin adaptor however the 5000SD came with the 2 pin plug minus an adaptor, and yes I had a shaver adaptor blow the fuse. Cut off the 2pin and replaced it with a standard 3pin plug.

Satcat
17-02-2011, 01:23 PM
Err satcat,try doing that with the leccy on you'll light up like a bleeding christmas tree..lol...

"Just push a screwdriver into earth socket"

ian
17-02-2011, 01:55 PM
why not just cut the two pin plug off the end and attach a normal 3 pin plug to the cable with a 5amp fuse?

Ian.

Satcat
17-02-2011, 04:35 PM
why not just cut the two pin plug off the end and attach a normal 3 pin plug to the cable with a 5amp fuse?

Ian.

Yes, defiantly to best way......:iagree:.

ajp
17-02-2011, 04:58 PM
simple method cut the 2 pin plug and replace with conventional 3 pin plug job done

eme
17-02-2011, 05:03 PM
BY law all 2 pin power plugs from Europe or states etc must be supplied with a adapter. to make them suitable for the purpose.

hda5
17-02-2011, 08:44 PM
simple method cut the 2 pin plug and replace with conventional 3 pin plug job done

Cutting the 2 pin plug off would void your warranty. Always use the 3 pin adapter.

speedway
17-02-2011, 08:48 PM
Cutting the 2 pin plug off would void your warranty. Always use the 3 pin adapter.

absolutely correct, having checked with lee at goldwafers

roybach
17-02-2011, 11:09 PM

BY law all 2 pin power plugs from Europe or states etc must be supplied with a adapter. to make them suitable for the purpose.

So how can a seller claim that it voids the warranty when the goods could be deemed to be not fit for the purpose in the first instance ?

bonovox
18-02-2011, 04:11 AM

Seriously? Thats bull**** really. What has the world come to when you can't even fit a 3 pin 13 amp plug. Is this world full of dip****s who can't even do that simple task now?

hda5
18-02-2011, 10:25 AM

So how can a seller claim that it voids the warranty when the goods could be deemed to be not fit for the purpose in the first instance ?

You've got hold of the wrong end of the stick mate.

Spiderboxes ARE supplied with a 3 PIN adapter plug so having to cut off the 2 pin plug isn't even an issue. If you didn't receive a 3 PIN adapter plug in your box you should have contacted the seller to request one.

The point I was trying to make is... if you don't use the 3 PIN adapter plug supplied and you cut off the 2 PIN plug to wire your own 3 PIN plug you'd void your warranty.

I remember reading on the forum about 12 months ago a guy who'd bought an Octagon receiver from Germany and when he received it he cut off the 2 PIN plug and added his own 3 PIN plug then plugged it into the mains at the box was dead. The German shop he bought from would not exchange it because he'd cut off the mains plug and void his warranty.

So always use a 3 PIN adapter and never cut off the 2 PIN plug so not to mistakenly void your warranty.

Gone_Fishing
18-02-2011, 04:55 PM
Cutting off a two pin and adding a three pin will void your warranty on practically all electronic devices you may not like it but its a fact :respect-051:

TNT

roybach
18-02-2011, 05:02 PM
hda5, I haven't got the wrong end of the stick as firstly I don't reside in Germany where the two pin plugs are standard fitnment and goods supplied in Germany with two pin plugs comply, so the German shop were within their rights to void the warranty.
However I have bought two Spider boxes from two different UK suppliers one of which , a 5000SD was supplied with only a two pin plug minus an adaptor unlike the 9000HD which came with an adaptor, and I did contact the 5000SD supplier questioning the absence of an adaptor to be told that the SD model did not come with an adaptor, I did not persue the point of law with the supplier as I didn't consider it a problem to convert to a UK three pin plug myself, I would have been a little peeved had the subject of void warranty arisen at some later date because of it. I would presume that any purchaser having to cut and connect a three pin plug is having to do so because an adaptor was not supplied , therefore in that situation my original post stands .

eme
18-02-2011, 05:03 PM
that is possible why they supply the 3 pin 13 amp plug adapter

RABBY
18-02-2011, 06:45 PM
Bloody Hell you are all Mad !!!!:D It is No Problem putting a 3 pin plug on ?? But Make Sure it has no higher than a [ 3 amp FUSE ];)

captainglassback
18-02-2011, 10:46 PM
The only point made about a 3 pin plug was loss of warranty. I agree! 3 pin plug on everything with correct fuse ..... given the ludicrous amount of stuff left on 24/7 in multiplugs here!!

xanadu
18-02-2011, 10:58 PM
Do people shave while watching their Spiderbox?

Probably a minority of people use an electric shaver.

As previously stated, if you cut a 2 pin plug off any appliance, your warranty will be invalid, as it's classed as customer damage.