PDA

View Full Version : Just taken the plunge ....

ssjenkins
27-02-2011, 09:20 PM
Well , as tomorrow's my birthday I thought I'd treat myself to a nice VU+ Duo :) Time to say goodbye to my trusty 800HD clone which has served me well over the last 2 years .

Just a question . Can I do a straight hdd swap from my 800 to the VU+ in order to watch the reordings that I made on the 800 (.ts) ?

Thanks !

Sammy

sonic1
27-02-2011, 09:24 PM
Yes m8, also if you want to still keep the clone then use the Duo as a server and watch your recordings on both box's.

BlackHole image with mediatomb server makes this very simple.:respect-055:

ssjenkins
27-02-2011, 09:53 PM
Think I'll sell the clone Sonic once I get the VUO+ up and running as I need the cash :) I'll keep it for a while just in case . Thx for the image advice .

Sammy

Plessy
27-02-2011, 11:53 PM
Well , as tomorrow's my birthday I thought I'd treat myself to a nice VU+ Duo :) Time to say goodbye to my trusty 800HD clone which has served me well over the last 2 years .

Just a question . Can I do a straight hdd swap from my 800 to the VU+ in order to watch the reordings that I made on the 800 (.ts) ?

Thanks !

Sammy

Hey ssjenkins ....

(Another notch on the belt-line):D

I would be interested in your future feedback on your new purchase, cause I am thinking the same thing myself..... but dont have the cash to splash here just yet.....

P.S. Hope you didn't sell the two wheels either!!!!

Have a Happy and Memorable one !

Sláinte.:cool:

Plessy.

ssjenkins
28-02-2011, 08:28 AM
Hi Plessy . Yeap . The big 46 . Now on the wrong side of 45 :) Nope . Haven't sold the bike . I've only ran up about 500 miles since I bought it :) I've been working away from home for the last 2 months . Anyway , I'm back home now and the weather's starting to get better over here so I'll be hitting (not literally !) the roads again soon .

I'll keep you informed on the 800 to Duo swap .

Salu2 !

Sammy

paul01609
28-02-2011, 01:54 PM
carnt wait to get out on my bike still a few months to wait yet,had to go to my brothers house just to make shure it was still there not seen her for 6 months lol

ssjenkins
28-02-2011, 04:10 PM
It was 22 degrees here yesterday in Spain . It's just work that holding me back :)

DaOne
01-03-2011, 10:59 PM
Hello SSJenkins & Sonic , Well I too took the plunge and stepped away from my Original Dream800 have to say this box is to me superior in every way but I wont take anything away from the DM800 its a still a great box but , i just seem to like everything about the Vu+ Duo speed processor power image plugins etc .. and lets not forget price ... Happy Days all round :respect-055:

sonic1
02-03-2011, 01:01 PM
Blimey not seen you about for while DaOne, glad you like the box :respect-055:

ssjenkins
03-03-2011, 11:40 AM
Can I do a straight hdd swap from my 800 to the VU+ in order to watch the reordings that I made on the 800 (.ts) ?

Just like to answer my own question by saying that it's not a straight swap . The 800HD uses a 2.5 SATA and the VU a 3.5 . I had to run out yesterday and buy a new 3.5 . No big deal but I just thought I'd mention it for anyone else who's thinking of making the change .

So far so good . I've got both my dishes connected (no need to manually switch) and I'm still in the process of storing positions etc . Have to say that I do like the box . A word of warning . Don't leave the USB stick containing the firmware upgrade in the box like I did . I spent 3 hours last night setting the thing up . I then reconnected my USB stick (which I was going to use for my swap file) , rebooted , and the box reflashed :) Back to square one :=)

Sammy

bonovox
03-03-2011, 06:35 PM
Yeah I just bought a Duo a couple of weeks ago. Great box and a piece of **** to setup. Already have a Dm800 and this goes nicely with it. The only problem I've found with the duo is the choppy playback of xvid using Blackhole image. I have read that other images are better at xvid playback. Haven't tried any other images as I like the Blackhole and run this on the Dm800 as well. Anyone confirm xvid playback stutters. Mkvs are perfect as they are on Dm800.

sonic1
03-03-2011, 07:20 PM
@bonvox

Is that via media player and files on local HDD ?

bonovox
04-03-2011, 12:02 AM
No Via the internal hdd. I've found Xvids dont play without stuttering but I think it might be the Blackhole image as other images play them ok (I think). A minor gripe but a great machine.

Plessy
10-03-2011, 01:13 AM
What Sats you looking at Sammy ? and do you need net to view ?

Cheers !

Just bought myself an Clean "Old Yamaha 4416" to play with....

Jaesus the Bike manuals and actual repairs and maintenance are Simple to work with.... This though, Brain Shrinkage instantly :)

Plessy