PDA

View Full Version : Installing internal HDD

davecabezo
11-03-2011, 03:18 PM
Hi,
Thinking of installing an internal HDD in my DM800 but would like to know if there are any heat or power supply problems that may arise. Also is it possible to install an inter fan and lastly will any 2.5inch Hdd fit.
I've looked all over for tutorials but can't find anything.

Regards,

Dave

echelon
11-03-2011, 03:31 PM
hi dave , you can fit almost any 2.5 inch sata laptop type hdd inside the unit , typically from about 120 gig to 500 gig is the normal ones members use for internal operation , mine is currently 200 gig

heat is always an issue so I have a small fan fitted below the hdd on top of the chip and you can see examples of this on the dm800 forum here , with pictures too

heat is always an issue on the dm800 so mine is adapted into a different housing with an external cooling fan at the rear just to be sure

the psu is never up to much and so a good quality 12v 2 amp or higher psu is advised , even a pc power unit will do the trick using the 12 volt output

davecabezo
11-03-2011, 06:13 PM
Hi Echelon,

I've looked and searched the forum but cannot find any reference to fitting an internal fan. Can you highlight the post for me,

Dave

echelon
11-03-2011, 06:38 PM
Hi Echelon,

I've looked and searched the forum but cannot find any reference to fitting an internal fan. Can you highlight the post for me,

Dave

you should have used the keyword cooling

https://www.satpimps.co.uk/search.php?searchid=3276671

scallywag
11-03-2011, 10:05 PM
I use a cheap usb laptop cooler.Cost about a fiver off auction sites

davecabezo
12-03-2011, 02:33 PM
Hi,

There is a problem on this thread because I cannot see any replies after the 1st post of Echelons. I can however see the posts beneath this reply box. Very Strange.

Dave

luis
12-03-2011, 04:15 PM
I donīt know about DM800, but in my DM8000 itīs the heat, generated from the PSU, that has to be extracted, even in stand by. The heat from the internal HDD is negligible though. I didnīt bother to open the box but simply put a 12 V PC fan on the cover above the PSU to suck the air out. Continuous 3 V power supply from an adaptor is just enough to keep the cover above the PSU normally warm.

echelon
12-03-2011, 04:19 PM
Hi,

There is a problem on this thread because I cannot see any replies after the 1st post of Echelons. I can however see the posts beneath this reply box. Very Strange.

Dave

no , this thread is fine in safari and firefox

davecabezo
12-03-2011, 10:49 PM
Hi Echelon,

Very strange indeed. Logged ina susual with IE and had to goto reply to post to see the posts after your 1st, I then saw your post re Firefox and bingo, I can see all of the replies, but in IE I can navigate the forum, other than my post, no problem, so the Gremlins strike again.

Dave

echelon
12-03-2011, 10:57 PM
Hi Echelon,

Very strange indeed. Logged ina susual with IE and had to goto reply to post to see the posts after your 1st, I then saw your post re Firefox and bingo, I can see all of the replies, but in IE I can navigate the forum, other than my post, no problem, so the Gremlins strike again.

Dave

suppose it depends which version of ie you are using

forum works better for me in safari and firefox anyway