PDA

View Full Version : eSata on TM6900

fred fickle
08-04-2011, 07:20 PM
I have a eSata drive plugged in but the box does not recognise it so has anyone used one of these and how to get it working.

I have some mp4 files and .trp file on it but nothing shows up.
Cheers:confused:

holmroad
08-04-2011, 07:30 PM
I have a eSata drive plugged in but the box does not recognise it so has anyone used one of these and how to get it working.

I have some mp4 files and .trp file on it but nothing shows up.
Cheers:confused:

Think you have to label it to FAT32 Fred - plenty if threads on this mate!:respect-055:

bob
08-04-2011, 09:23 PM
Format in VAT32 or NTFS, I use NTFS formatted 1TB Samsung . Works a treat, otherwise cant recognise the drive

fred fickle
11-04-2011, 11:03 AM
Yes it is formatted in fat 32 but still does not show up , @bob what does yours show up as in the menu.

joany
11-04-2011, 02:42 PM
Yes it is formatted in fat 32 but still does not show up , @bob what does yours show up as in the menu.

maybe its setup for the wrong usb slot.

go into menu/usb/disk manager and make sure that the coorect drive is selected. there is a choice of usb0 or usb1 (i think these are for the different partitions) whichever it is try setting it to the other, saving then once again try to record .

If this doesnt work maybe you need to connect the drive to another device (say a laptop) to prove that its working ok.

bob
11-04-2011, 03:06 PM
Format disk in fat32 or NTFS Now connect to Technomate. Now Menu scroll down to USB and select Disk Manager then format disk. Now you should have, Default Disk /SATA 0, Disk Info SATA 0, Check Disk SATA 0. Without that process no disk found. Hope this helps.

In answer to a PM, if you were to connect the Technomate formatted External Drive back to the eSata of a PC running. Windows 7, Vista, or XP, powering up the drive and rebooting the PC.
You would now have the next drive in the sequence of installed drives, as Hoppy Label. Proof it had been formatted by the Technomate.

fred fickle
14-04-2011, 04:45 PM
OK after a few times plugging and unplugging the sata cable it eventually showed up in default disk etc. but still cannot see the files on the drive e.g. .trp and mp4s , a usb drive shows all the files on it but the sata drive does not show anything. Any clues Guyz.

bob
14-04-2011, 08:48 PM
Assuming the drive is now found , you should just need to press record on the STB Remote Control and do a test recording during this test recording you should get a recording symbol flash up on the top left hand side of the TV screen . Now if all is well and stop is pressed on the Remote, a screen will flash up giving the option to stop the recording, choose yes. that's it. Now by pressing the File List button on the remote, the list of recordings made will be displayed. Select and press Play.:respect-055:

fred fickle
03-05-2011, 11:24 PM
Ok the problem was you can only see one drive at a time so with my USB drive disconnected the sata drive is visible but I have to connect it with the usb cable and the sata cable.
I understood that you could play any media from a sata drive but it only sees the .trp files and mp3s and nothing else e.g. mp4,mkv, are not visible or playable. If this is the case what is the point of having the sata connection at all.
Maybe I have got this wrong so perhaps someone would enlighten me if this is the case.Ta

joany
04-05-2011, 12:14 AM
Ok the problem was you can only see one drive at a time so with my USB drive disconnected the sata drive is visible but I have to connect it with the usb cable and the sata cable.
I understood that you could play any media from a sata drive but it only sees the .trp files and mp3s and nothing else e.g. mp4,mkv, are not visible or playable. If this is the case what is the point of having the sata connection at all.
Maybe I have got this wrong so perhaps someone would enlighten me if this is the case.Ta

You do have the wrong end of the stick. I don't think the tm6900 will play files other than those recorded by your box. (well not avi's or divx's afaik)

fred fickle
04-05-2011, 02:20 PM
Well then what is the point of having a sata connection when usb does the same thing??

bob
04-05-2011, 02:26 PM
As joany has pointed out, you have the wrong end of the stick , the TM6900 records in .ts (transcode) format, and plays back in that format only. Now if you want to play back that format on a normal DVD player, the .ts files have to be converted using something like Womble MPEG ******. Then burn let's say using Nero Vision Express. If I have got this wrong please feel free to add your approach.
eSata allows you to use very large external HDD's for HD recording storage. Increasing the number of pre-programmed recordings that can be recorded. . USB large drives need separate power supplies that often lose the drive, when pre-programming.

fred fickle
04-05-2011, 03:39 PM
Confusion again as my technomate records in .trp format which can be played back with suitable software .

I cannot see .ts files anywhere??

My sata drive needs a power supply also hence there is no advantage to having a sata ex.drive instead of a ex. Usb drive e.g. USB drive needs 2 connection cables sata drive needs 3 connection cables to do the same thing!!.

bob
04-05-2011, 04:46 PM
Just checked my own drive and you are quite right file system is indeed .trp but the same set of rules applies. Your external HDD should only have two leads 1 eSata and 1 DC power lead, with the eSata and USB being selected by a small switch if there is another type I am not aware of it, if no switch, eSata and USB should not be connected at the same time, you have to choose one or the other, at this point, all I can suggest is a member with your setup may be able to help.