PDA

View Full Version : Android Smartphone App ???

Detlef
19-04-2011, 02:20 PM
I have an HTC Desire (Android Smartphone) and it works well as a Satnav using the internal GPS locator but I think it only reads Google Maps around the present location. No problem here but when I'm on a roaming tariff (UK, France, etc) that could be very pricey.

OK now the questions:

1) Am I right in believing that it doesn't store any maps internally?
2) If so, can it be made to store the foreign maps and not require a data connection?
3) Is there a better app than the standard one it came with?

That'll do for now. :D

Det

dog-man
19-04-2011, 03:04 PM
There are various satnav progs available which have been made to work. :respect-055:

I use copilot on my samsung galaxy s and once you download the maps, you decide whether you go online or not. They are all there (after download) cached.

dog-man

vamas
19-04-2011, 06:15 PM
you can also try bing maps which i think are now also avaliable for android. Check on their site bing maps...

tinto de verano
19-04-2011, 08:02 PM
Have a lok at MapDroyd.
I still need to investigate further, but it looks interesting, and free.
tinto de verano

cromwell
20-04-2011, 01:13 PM
Try WhereAmI ? its good and free.

Detlef
20-04-2011, 03:40 PM
Thnx for the feedback guys.

I can see that I will soon fill up my SD card while testing all of these.

Zeke
22-04-2011, 01:09 PM
I have an HTC Desire (Android Smartphone) and it works well as a Satnav using the internal GPS locator but I think it only reads Google Maps around the present location. No problem here but when I'm on a roaming tariff (UK, France, etc) that could be very pricey.

OK now the questions:

1) Am I right in believing that it doesn't store any maps internally?
2) If so, can it be made to store the foreign maps and not require a data connection?
3) Is there a better app than the standard one it came with?

That'll do for now. :D

Det

A while back Google maps was updated to cache locally. I forget when but it's been months. It should also read a whole region. I think you could in theory go look at the map for the areas you're going to and it might cache them but I'm not sure how far the caching goes.

OTOH I don't find much data used by the GPS .