PDA

View Full Version : why was E2 given up on? who is using it?

ManikM
23-06-2011, 09:13 AM
Ive been thinking, the recent AAF SPRING E2 image, is actually very very good, and i just wonder why E2 was stopped being developed last year by the ICECRYPT crew.

i actually believe that the image is better than the ori software, although it is mostly the Germans that are supporting and developing it, the german forums are alive with E2 discussion.

i dont do the c/s thing, but i have quite a stable and reliable E2 image (internal HDD) that has a great 7 day EPG, PICONS, reliable multi sat timers, and the ability to edit recordings (trim out the ads and before and end gumpf etc)

pic quality is great too, i know i knocked it originally sayin that it was juddery etc, but that has all gone away now.

is it worth me doing a guide for everyone?

i dont know if anyone has actually even tried it, so you could be missing out bigtime.

echelon
23-06-2011, 09:56 AM
yes its worth doing a guide for it , which is one reason we added the E2 sections at your request ;)

I am generally happy with what I get from the original firmware , as it works from my dm800 using xcam with cs , apart from the HD service error issues it works ok for the channels I want , and I like the divx playback which I tend to use it a lot for , ftp the avi files to my internal 500 gig hdd and then use the play button to access the hdd and play the files back

nobody has ever mentioned the divx playback ( or mkv playback ) of the E2 images as far as I know which is one of my main uses

frankly , if the niggles already described on here were fixed I would be happy with the original image myself

1) fixing the service error

2) 28e 7 day epg for all channels ( not just the page of 4 to 6 channels you are on )

3) the white card issues mentioned in other threads on here

4) any other issues I have missed that you and others bring up

lastly , I have other boxes like the dm800 and spider , so tend to use those a lot , so the ice isnt my main stb , and the dm800 is of course E2 , although I rarely mess with it

so there should be basic easy to follow guides on flashing to E2 and also flashing back again , or swapping between them if multiboot is an option , and any risks involved

there should be a simple easy to follow guide on flashing back to icecrypt4000 from any other form of image too , as we dont want expensive bricks

and please dont say we already have them as I didnt find anything on here easy to understand and follow , and I have flashed dreamboxes and spiderboxes etc

ColdAsICE
23-06-2011, 05:11 PM
Please write a good how to E2 your Icecrypt ManiKM. Its your experiance that will make others want to do it themselves.
The reason Icecrypt slowed its E2 development was that they was using Germans crews to do it and it became clear that there was not enough interest from UK users and customers if the develpoment affected the cost which had a major account in that decision.
Icecrypt do support AAF via Atevio, and HDFreaks directly. AAF do release in both German and English so there is still plenty of English support. The main E2 users are German so you will always find the most active E2 development crews and forums there.

E2 is not native to the SH4 chipset so it does involve a lot of modifications to get E2 to run correctly in the Icecrypts. That is why it has taken a long time to become stable.
Recent legal action from Dream Multimedia against other set top manufactuers doesn't help either.
The main German reseller has had legal action served against them it seems so I wouldn't expect too much official support for E2 in these boxes but I'm sure the homebrew will continue.

ManikM
23-06-2011, 07:22 PM
the problem being is that i've already modified my box, i need a virgin box to do it all again on.

any offers?

ColdAsICE
24-06-2011, 04:33 PM
I have a few bricked models got a Jtag?:07:

ManikM
24-06-2011, 05:27 PM
nah an Audi mate.

echelon
24-06-2011, 05:28 PM
nah an Audi mate.

I thought you would have an astra given your satellite interest ;)

reboot
24-06-2011, 05:41 PM
I thought you would have an astra given your satellite interest ;)

with a hotbird as a passenger.

ManikM
24-06-2011, 10:33 PM
LOL!!!! very good guys, very good.

i did have an atlantic bird at one point, but she dumped me, it must have been cos of my hot bird and I AM sirius!!!!