PDA

View Full Version : Porter Express not working on .20

JaapS
25-06-2011, 09:56 AM
Hello,

This morning I upgraded my S4000 to .20 firmware but something went wrong, the box keeps booting.
With serial cable attached in minicom I can see the kernel boot but proces hangs when unpakking the root filesystem, seems to be an inclomplete upgrade.
So I confiscated my daughters pc (the only windows pc in the house) and tried Porter Express but that keeps waiting for the box, nothing happens when I switch on the receiver.
What can I do to fix it? (can AAF upgrade firmware?)

ManikM
25-06-2011, 10:09 AM
yes i just suffered same, the AAF recovery tool however, can access the box.

echelon
25-06-2011, 10:13 AM
suggest you check the serial port is switched on and set correctly on the windows pc

also worth noting it will probably only work with win xp , vista premium or higher , or win7 pro or ult

and the use of a proper rs232 com port on that pc is also a strong factor , and I would say essential in order to flash the box ( see the other post where midnight-R has similar problems )

I would not advocate the use of a usb to serial adapter for this task either

if you had grown up in this sat game with humax , samsung 9500 and tm1500 and 9100 boxes you would know the value of a proper pc running xp and having built in com ports

however , never having flashed the icecrypt by serial methods my advice is based on the numerous boxes that I have flashed by serial com port in xp using proper towers and desktops

ManikM
25-06-2011, 10:17 AM
it simply doesnt work, this pc im using right now has built in coms port (no converter needed) but the stb is just not detected in porter express.

JaapS
25-06-2011, 12:40 PM
Did use XP with real serial port setup correctly and Porter Express doesn't detect the box.
AAF recovery tool however does detect the box and following the docs I have to connect, set the recovery image on it, change the reseller id back to Icecrypt and then upgrade the firmware with porter express, right?
In AAF I have to attach the box with serial null modem cable and LAN cable but with the lan cable directly I tried the recovery firmware but after half an hour I interrupted since that was way to long.
Did I connect the lan cable wrong, does the box and xp machine have to be connected trough my router or direct with a cross-cable, does AAF set my network settings?

Since I am a linux user for the last 15 years I have no clue on how to handle windows stuff I am lost when I have no control, personally I would connect lan via a router or cross-cable and set the pc ip manually in the same subnet the box seem to be in, tftp the firmware into ram and flash it via the console so I feel very lost when I have to click stuff I don't know what it does in the background.

echelon
25-06-2011, 01:12 PM
I would say that both cables would have to be crossover if connecting directly to the icecrypt

so null modem cable for com port , and crossover ethernet for lan , or a straight wired ethernet with crossover adapter

JaapS
25-06-2011, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the help and support guys my box is running again...

Currently as Atevio and I think I keep it that way since there isn't much difference between the boxes. (unless someone can convince me otherwise...)

plaskotki
26-06-2011, 12:49 AM
Thanks for the help and support guys my box is running again...

Currently as Atevio and I think I keep it that way since there isn't much difference between the boxes. (unless someone can convince me otherwise...)
The only difference I am aware of is that Atevio or Octagon s/w have no blue button option in the EPG. What it means that you cannot download OpenTV EPG for Freesat channels.

ManikM
26-06-2011, 10:35 AM
mcas runs on octagon 1.09.20 f/w but not icecrypt

reboot
28-06-2011, 01:33 PM
Mcas is working on Icecrypt Firmware as well as it works on the Octagon, so if it isn't doing the Job on Icecrypt then its not gonna do you any favours on Octagon.
There is no difference in the firmwares apart from the GUI colour and extra features like the UK EPG in the Icecrypt version.
Porter express serial loader will only recognize the correct boot loader for the firmware being loaded, so trying to load Icecrypt firmware onto a machine with Octagon boot loader or Maxiboot is not going to happen. Remember this when flashing the bootloader.

ManikM
28-06-2011, 02:04 PM
Mcas is working on Icecrypt Firmware as well as it works on the Octagon, so if it isn't doing the Job on Icecrypt then its not gonna do you any favours on Octagon.
There is no difference in the firmwares apart from the GUI colour and extra features like the UK EPG in the Icecrypt version.
Porter express serial loader will only recognize the correct boot loader for the firmware being loaded, so trying to load Icecrypt firmware onto a machine with Octagon boot loader or Maxiboot is not going to happen. Remember this when flashing the bootloader.

you are incorrect.

1.09.20 icecrypt f/w would not RUN mcas, several people confirmed this
https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?t=149860

saying there are NO differences APART from x, y, z - is just a contradiction in terms contrary to what you beleive.

i changed my f/w to Octagons 1.09.20 and it worked - so there ARE fundemental differences.

reboot
29-06-2011, 07:45 PM
You have not been running Icecrypt firmware so you don't know what runs on Icecrypt against what runs on Octagon.
Other people are having issues with older MCas plugins but they would have the same issues with these plugin in an Octagon running the V1.09.20 firmware. I noticed you upgraded your Mcas when you upgraded your Octagon firmware. Try using an older Octagon Mcas and see if it starts in the new firmware!
It has to do with the firmware upgrade and nothing to do with resellers.
To prove my point I have just posted the Mcas I have working.
I stand by my statement there are no fundamental differences between these machines. You only fooling yourself if you think there are.

ManikM
29-06-2011, 07:54 PM
at the time of posting when the problem was happening , the 17th June MCAS was not working with latest ICE f/w hence the other MCAS thread.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

reboot
30-06-2011, 06:45 PM
Never mind ManikM.
You keep believing that the Octagon firmware/hardware is superior somehow and I will keep proving you wrong.

ManikM
30-06-2011, 07:55 PM
LOL! ok mate.

Seriously, i understand that their SHOULDNT be any differences, but there was definately an issue with the ICE version of 1.09.20 with MCAS and PORTER EXPRESS not working on Saturday.

i uploaded the JUNE 17 mcas, and it still wouldnt work.

it worked with the Octagon version tho. (old and june17)

also, i also know there is no OPEN EPG on the Octagon f/w

im not as stupid as you think.

:)

reboot
05-07-2011, 03:52 PM
I don't think you are stupid.
It's easy to think that Octagon might have an advantage as they release the firmware quicker than anyone else so it does give the impression that they are the source(they are not). They claim everything is theirs(It isn't).
The German forums are busier than the UK as Satellite Television in Germany is thriving so Octagon have a livelier market and thus a livelier forum.
You obviously watch the Octagon sites so you must realizes by now that they have the same issues/problems that affect the Icecrypts. In fact worse because most UK users are not affected by CI+ issues.................yet!
If you believe that Octagon is still superior then why post in the Icecrypt section?

ManikM
05-07-2011, 04:43 PM
really - i dont think octagon f/w is superior - i was merely mentioning that MCAS worked with it AT the time of posting.