PDA

View Full Version : Modifying a universal LNBF to fit slim holder?

BM300
27-06-2011, 08:49 AM
Hello Friends,

I have a 1.8m Visiosat dish that has a slim type LNBF holder.
Most of the available LNBFs available are of wide neck universat type.
I cannot find any LNB only to fit to a Ku feed.
I could order one from the net but the price is not justified.

Has anyone managed to cut off the universal LNBF neck and fit a slim nec to it?
I have read abot this on one of the forums but cannot remember the site.

Any help from all great minds out there please?

Thanks

satwyn
27-06-2011, 12:07 PM
there are plenty out there just the lnb's with no feed inverto ones should not be expensive for a single output quads would naturally be more expensive

Detlef
27-06-2011, 12:46 PM
Do you mean the neck diameter is less than 40mm? If so, any good Sat shop should sell adapting rings.

A few years back (well 20 if I'm honest) LNBs came with a set of adapting rings until the standard became 40mm.

I'm sure there must be some in a dusty draw at the back of the shop. :D

ian
27-06-2011, 03:25 PM
adaptor rings are fine if you want to go down from 40mm to 20mm but the OP wants to go the other way.
his dish supports a 20mm collar,but the cheap universal lnb's are all 40mm collars.

i have the exact same problem and so i have to buy the C120 type that fits to my 20mm feedhorn.

i often wish i could figure out a way of the dish holding a 40mm feedhorn so i could benefit from the ultra cheap low noise universal lnb's like what most of you guys use.

Ian.

Detlef
27-06-2011, 04:51 PM
adaptor rings are fine if you want to go down from 40mm to 20mm but the OP wants to go the other way. . . . . . . .
Ian.

OK.

Some of the monoblocks have a smaller neck uni pair but it wouldn't be a very elegant solution on a top of the range dish.

Plessy
27-06-2011, 10:37 PM
Hello Friends,

I have a 1.8m Visiosat dish that has a slim type LNBF holder.
Most of the available LNBFs available are of wide neck universat type.
I cannot find any LNB only to fit to a Ku feed.
I could order one from the net but the price is not justified.

Has anyone managed to cut off the universal LNBF neck and fit a slim nec to it?
I have read abot this on one of the forums but cannot remember the site.

Any help from all great minds out there please?

Thanks

It would be probably easier to Make an Adapter to fit the wide neck than Chop some aluminium form the lnb. Try looking for "Visiosat LNB adapters" on any of the Auction site's and I am sure you will find something......

Plessy

BM300
28-06-2011, 10:41 AM
adaptor rings are fine if you want to go down from 40mm to 20mm but the OP wants to go the other way.
his dish supports a 20mm collar,but the cheap universal lnb's are all 40mm collars.

i have the exact same problem and so i have to buy the C120 type that fits to my 20mm feedhorn.

i often wish i could figure out a way of the dish holding a 40mm feedhorn so i could benefit from the ultra cheap low noise universal lnb's like what most of you guys use.

Ian.

That is exactly what I meant Ian,

I have few single output slim neck LNBFs (like Fuji) but I have 2 Dreambox recivers connected to this dish.
My existing 2 output LNBF is not very good when compared to the Fuji.

My Thanks to all of you my friends for your very helpful responses.

I have looked at the Visiosat site and they seem to have stopped making this type of LNB holder.

I also have many slim Ku feedhorns (so we can attach LNBs to them), but not many suppliers are selling twin output LNBs anymore!

http://www.sekisat.com/data/products/17/small.jpg

They are selling LNBFs and calling them LNBs.
Not many of them remember that an LNB looks like this
http://www.macrosat.com/images/LNB-KU.jpg

As I see it I have the following options:
1- Remove the existing slim LNB holder frpm the dish and change it with a wide neck type. (Could not find one as it comes with 3 support holes).
2- Cut the neck of a wide 40mm LNBF and somehow fit the slim Ku feed to it.
3- Take the existing support from the dish and get any workshop to make a similar one which accepts the standard 40 mm type.

cosworth4x4
28-06-2011, 10:25 PM
do you have a feed horn already that fits to the dish as in picture?

satwyn
29-06-2011, 05:45 AM
all you need is a twin output voltage switching lnb inverto invacom ect simple and cheap if you do not have the feed these are also available i might even have some you could have with the narrow neck

ian
29-06-2011, 06:30 AM
@BM300

the picture of a feedhorn that you have shown in your previous post is for a prime focus dish buddy.
dont buy one of those otherwise you will loose loads of signal if your dish is not of the prime focus type.

Ian.

BM300
29-06-2011, 06:54 AM
do you have a feed horn already that fits to the dish as in picture?

Yes my friend, I have both types of feed horns.
The one in the picture for prime focus dish (as ian rightly mentioned- Thanks ian), and another type specially for ofset dish.

http://www.satellitetv.ie/shop/image/C120_FEED_HORN.jpg

BM300
29-06-2011, 07:20 AM
all you need is a twin output voltage switching lnb inverto invacom ect simple and cheap if you do not have the feed these are also available i might even have some you could have with the narrow neck

Thanks satwyn,
I am not sure if I understood what you meant.

I have a twin output Inverto LNBF but it is with 40mm wide neck.

I am using a thin neck LNBF with twin output but not very good at handeling those week transponders.
(picture shown)
http://www.elsat.si/spletna-trgovina/images/P/914655-lnb-compact-twinsrednja.bmp

Thanks for your kind offer (but unfortunately I am located at Dubai-UAE).
:)

BM300
29-06-2011, 07:23 AM
@BM300

the picture of a feedhorn that you have shown in your previous post is for a prime focus dish buddy.
dont buy one of those otherwise you will loose loads of signal if your dish is not of the prime focus type.

Ian.

Many thanks Ian for pointing that out.
Did not have a picture of the correct type when writing the reply.
But good to be reminded.
:)

satwyn
29-06-2011, 08:20 AM
not quite sure what the problem is if you have the proper feedhorn for your dish then all you need is the lnb C120 type single twin or quads are available the voltage switching type if you also need a feedhorn for the dish these are also available

TonyO
29-06-2011, 10:37 AM
Its quicker to make spacers from nylon or ali sheets to fit, chasing round shops trying to find an exact fit will take forever.

A bit of improvisation in the workshop will solve this in 10 minutes.

cosworth4x4
29-06-2011, 07:49 PM
ok if i am reading it correct , you dont want to pay big money for a twin lnb , as the universal type are very cheep and want to modify one , im sure you can do it here are some picture i used a smart titanium modified to fit channel master feed horn pictures below.

https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?t=146987&highlight=channel+master

and results .

https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?t=147904&highlight=nilesat

any more help advice just ask , if that is what you want to do.

satwyn
30-06-2011, 11:21 AM
inverto red classic C120 quad lnbs can be bought new for around £25 probably cheaper if you look around surely this is not expensive no need to mess around with bits from different lnbfs

BM300
01-07-2011, 10:47 PM
ok if i am reading it correct , you dont want to pay big money for a twin lnb , as the universal type are very cheep and want to modify one , im sure you can do it here are some picture i used a smart titanium modified to fit channel master feed horn pictures below.

https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?t=146987&highlight=channel+master

and results .

https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?t=147904&highlight=nilesat

any more help advice just ask , if that is what you want to do.

Many thanks cosworth4x4,
Just what I was looking for.

Meanwhile I tried the following 2 solutions and they both work nicely:

Solution 1:

Measured the length of the center rod of the feed support and got a 1/2 inch aluminum tube.
Got an standard (40mm) LNBF holder from an old dish and fixed it by drilling the end of the rod.
Flattened the other end and drilled a hole to attach it to the dish.

Solution 2:

Unscrewed the 2 LNB holder side supports from the dish, leaving the centre rod as it is, but bent it slightly down to get the correct focus.
Fitted a standard 40mm twin output inverto onto the existing 20mm holder and secured it with cable tidy.
Secured the 2 LNB side supports using 2 cm of plastic coated wire after aligning LNBF for the correct focus.

BM300
01-07-2011, 11:02 PM
inverto red classic C120 quad lnbs can be bought new for around £25 probably cheaper if you look around surely this is not expensive no need to mess around with bits from different lnbfs

Thanks for the extra information.
I will try to get one.