PDA

View Full Version : dish installtion, distance & potentiol obstacle question

techmob
17-07-2011, 03:50 PM
Hi

i have moved into a new house which has a south facing wall. i want to avoid putting the motor/dish on the front of the house and ideally i would like to put it on to the back of my outhouse which is in the back garden behind the house

the outhouse sits in between the neighbours house and my house (line of site) so there is a gap to the sky from this position and my sky dish 28.2e is on the side of my house getting a signal, so i will atleast get some signals.(28.2e to possibly 19e, not entirely sure though)

my concern is when it goes further west, especially 1 west as this will be behind the house and i have a feeling my dish will drop to the right lower so it needs a good view of the sky

however my house will be there but i am not sure on the elevation (if that is the correct word) needed to achieve a signal

so my question is how far does a dish need to be away from a 2 story house to get a signal off the arc?

i know variables will come into play, location, distance etc but does anyone know of a guestamate?

i will roughly measure the distance from where my prefered location for my dish is and i will update here if that will help.

also i believe there is such a tool that you can use to see what sats you will get before installing, is it called an inclinometer?

any guides on this sort of thing?

thanks

gadstamut
17-07-2011, 04:35 PM
Not sure if this is any help , but if you have an 80cm dish is it not worth having a pole that goes above your guttering "h**://www.s****llitesuper*****.com/gstands.htm". It would be visible from the front and you would stand to get more than 28 and 19. If you scroll down on the link you'll see what i mean. (Link for visual aid and not for advertising, satellite poles maybe bought from different companies :) )

techmob
17-07-2011, 07:08 PM
thanks for that

anyone used this app _http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AFtcgYRcu4&feature=player_embedded

DishPointer Apps

it looks like it could be of use however if it is not accurate i don't want to rely on it?

anyone tried it?

Mickha
17-07-2011, 10:16 PM
Have you tried dishpointer.com? They have a utility for checking line of sight for obstacles.

BM300
18-07-2011, 06:18 AM
Have you tried dishpointer.com? They have a utility for checking line of sight for obstacles.

SMW has a free software for this, give it a try.