PDA

View Full Version : advice on my setup

harrydocuk
28-08-2011, 09:19 AM
hi i would like a bit of advice on my setup, i am using a spiderbox hd9000 along with a protec 9600ci which i have looped through the spiderbox, before i was using a a-b switch to choose between the to receivers.think the loop through is better.
do i switch both receivers off at the back when i swap over the ethernet cable from one receiver to the other?
the reason i ask is not so long ago i was connecting a cable to an lnb and i forgot to switch off my tm900 ci result tm dead hence new spiderbox.
any advice on this please would be most appreciated.

echelon
28-08-2011, 09:32 AM
hi i would like a bit of advice on my setup, i am using a spiderbox hd9000 along with a protec 9600ci which i have looped through the spiderbox, before i was using a a-b switch to choose between the to receivers.think the loop through is better.
do i switch both receivers off at the back when i swap over the ethernet cable from one receiver to the other?
the reason i ask is not so long ago i was connecting a cable to an lnb and i forgot to switch off my tm900 ci result tm dead hence new spiderbox.
any advice on this please would be most appreciated.

no you dont need to switch either box off to do this , although I would plug 2 ethernets in , one in each box , and fit a powered 4 to 8 way lan switch hub on the feed lead from the router , and plug in both ethernets from the boxes , I have a 4 or 5 way behind my tv with the tv , sly plus box , spiderbox and dreambox at the moment all plugged into it , so think of it like an ethernet splitter. you can actually use any old router for this as most have a 4 way lan hub built in , use 1 socket as the feed and supply up to 3 ethernet feeds ( 1 in , 3 out ). these types of switches and routers are cheap to buy from auction sites if you havent got one already

I actually have a Netgear FS116 16 Port 10/100 Switch Ethernet (16 way) one in my loft , with 1 feed from the router and then feeds to various rooms , some of which have extra lan switches or routers being used to split the feed to more than 1 box or pc or laptop or tv etc

doing the above means you never have to unplug any ethernet at all , or do any swapping over

harrydocuk
28-08-2011, 09:35 AM
cheers echelon will look into doing it that way ,thanks again m8.

harrydocuk
31-08-2011, 11:43 AM
echelon a very big thank you m8, took your advice and got a 5 port switch that has a three pin plug, to power it. the unit itself is very small plugged it in and connected to the two receivers and it does the job great switching between the two receivers. just waiting for my diseqc switch now hopefully tomorrow so i can replace the a-b switch out the back that switches between my 1.2 and 1m dishes. hopefully i will be able to do everything without moving m8. wont miss getting soaked changing dishes haha.
again thank you very much.

echelon
31-08-2011, 11:52 AM
echelon a very big thank you m8, took your advice and got a 5 port switch that has a three pin plug, to power it. the unit itself is very small plugged it in and connected to the two receivers and it does the job great switching between the two receivers. just waiting for my diseqc switch now hopefully tomorrow so i can replace the a-b switch out the back that switches between my 1.2 and 1m dishes. hopefully i will be able to do everything without moving m8. wont miss getting soaked changing dishes haha.
again thank you very much.

thank you , as you say the ethernet lan switch is an easy fix and that 5 way will work ok and will have spare sockets if you need anything else plugged in , like a tv , or console , or pc , or laptop etc

be interesting to see if you can use a diseqc switch in the manner you infer , suggest you report back with details on that if you are successful , as I can understand the concept of using an a-b switch for manually switching between the 2 receivers , but unsure as to how you use 2 receivers and 2 dishes in the manner you infer

harrydocuk
31-08-2011, 01:41 PM
echelon my setup is a 1.2 motorised channel master with a Andrews offset feedhorn
with C120 flange LNB. and a 1m lenson heath fixed dish with a 3% monoblock. The channel master gets from 30w hispasat to 36e .can get no further than 30w because of the size of my
actuator. after 36e the signal hits the side off the house hence the 1m fixed dish that gets me 39e and 42e. the two dishes are connected to a a-b switch. the main lnb goes to the back of my vbox then my spiderbox and the protec is looped to the spiderbox. the DiSEqC switch is turned off on the protec getting me from 30w to 36e,when i move the dish with the spiderbox. flicking the a-b switch outside gets me 39e and 42e as well as 39e and 42e on my channel master and spiderbox. i was thinking if i replace the a-b switch outside with a Technomate DiSEqC Switch it would save me running outside. am i wrong in thinking this.if i have to stick to the a-b box outside thats fine. really over the moon getting the two receivers working without swapping leads. sorry for being so long winded on this.

echelon
31-08-2011, 03:05 PM
sounds very complicated and I definitely cannot tell you the answer , especially as you are using a vbox as well

harrydocuk
31-08-2011, 03:14 PM
echelon i will get back to you as soon as i can, hope it will work but if not well that life.
again thank you for your help and interest m8.

toothfairy
31-08-2011, 05:31 PM
You can always depend on Echelon,let me say thanks for all your help.

echelon
31-08-2011, 05:36 PM
echelon my setup is a 1.2 motorised channel master with a Andrews offset feedhorn
with C120 flange LNB. and a 1m lenson heath fixed dish with a 3% monoblock. The channel master gets from 30w hispasat to 36e .can get no further than 30w because of the size of my
actuator. after 36e the signal hits the side off the house hence the 1m fixed dish that gets me 39e and 42e. the two dishes are connected to a a-b switch. the main lnb goes to the back of my vbox then my spiderbox and the protec is looped to the spiderbox. the DiSEqC switch is turned off on the protec getting me from 30w to 36e,when i move the dish with the spiderbox. flicking the a-b switch outside gets me 39e and 42e as well as 39e and 42e on my channel master and spiderbox. i was thinking if i replace the a-b switch outside with a Technomate DiSEqC Switch it would save me running outside. am i wrong in thinking this.if i have to stick to the a-b box outside thats fine. really over the moon getting the two receivers working without swapping leads. sorry for being so long winded on this.

reading the above it seems you have the switch between the vbox and the dishes , in which case diseqc wont work and so no it wont work as the switch is the wrong side of the box

it MAY work if you had it between the spiderbox/protek and the vbox , in other words on the receiver side of the vbox as that is the diseqc side of the setup