PDA

View Full Version : Unbelievable Spiderbox/router/Macbook problem

fernandez
28-08-2011, 02:47 PM
Probably nothing to do directly with a Spiderbox, but didn't really know where to post it
I haven't seen this, so bear with me, my a m8 (who lives some distance away) has been on at me about this problem all week.

The 9000HD is connected by ethernet cable to a Netgear DG834 router and a Macbook connects wirelessly.
He's using several lines and all are showing 'Disconnected' until the Macbook is switched on and they suddenly spring into life. Stranger still is that the 'Ethernet' channels always seem to work.

I would have thought (I may be wrong) that this was not possible especially considering that there is no connection between the Spiderbox and the Macbook or wired connection between the router and the Macbook.

It's worked perfectly for months and now this problem. Any ideas

echelon
28-08-2011, 02:59 PM
might be worth trying a different router , on the other hand the netgears usually need setting up manually , with dhcp turned off , so I would assume that when the macbook connects it forces the netgear to allocate ip addresses , or it forces the listening ports to open somehow

so I would setup the spiderbox manually ( like mine is setup ) , manually allocate an ip to each box , and tell the netgear to allow the mac code and ip address of the connected boxes , giving them names in the lan settings of the admin panel

so basically , set it up manually , and allow the boxes fixed mac with fixed ip addresses , might be worthwhile forwarding the cline ports to the spiderbox fixed ip address too

not sure what its got to do with you if its your m8 who has the problem , surely he can speak for himself ?

fernandez
28-08-2011, 05:46 PM
Many thanks for the advice. It looks like I'll need to make a journey to sort it
The reason he isn't a member here and ask himself is because he's computer illiterate/won't learn/won't try/leaves it for me to put things right plus his family aren't bothered as long as they can access the net for their own purposes.

I guess I have my cross to bear !!

ManikM
28-08-2011, 06:21 PM
Probably nothing to do directly with a Spiderbox, but didn't really know where to post it
I haven't seen this, so bear with me, my a m8 (who lives some distance away) has been on at me about this problem all week.

The 9000HD is connected by ethernet cable to a Netgear DG834 router and a Macbook connects wirelessly.
He's using several lines and all are showing 'Disconnected' until the Macbook is switched on and they suddenly spring into life. Stranger still is that the 'Ethernet' channels always seem to work.

I would have thought (I may be wrong) that this was not possible especially considering that there is no connection between the Spiderbox and the Macbook or wired connection between the router and the Macbook.

It's worked perfectly for months and now this problem. Any ideas

that doesnt make anysense.

does the MAC connected via the same ethernet cable get the internet ok....?
is it a straight thru cable, or a cross over cable?
if it DOES, then its nothing to do with the MAC

r u sure the MAC isn't doing internet sharing...

Rebel
29-08-2011, 06:14 PM
I've had a very similar problem on my daughters system, turned out the answer was so simple I almost overlooked it!

In her case everything was working fine initially right up until she changed her telephone handsets then nothing worked! It turned out there were no microfilters on her phone sockets and once I installed them everything started working normally again.