PDA

View Full Version : No joy with recovery software tool

eddieaok
29-08-2011, 06:30 PM
I downloaded this after a lock-up on my box.
After following the instructions as below

1. Switch off STB
2. Run downloadin.exe on PC
3. Select COM port and Press connect button
4. Press "Choose file" and select the attached spider_rs232.bin
5. Switch on STB
6. you will see the progress status on PC
7. STB will auto-reboot after finishing the downloading.
I have had no success/

I have tried all com port selections numbers 1 to 4 on all 3 USB ports on my laptop
The cable has been proved and tested on another receiver crossed null modem.
Any help would be appreciated

Ed

echelon
29-08-2011, 06:49 PM
I downloaded this after a lock-up on my box.
After following the instructions as below

1. Switch off STB
2. Run downloadin.exe on PC
3. Select COM port and Press connect button
4. Press "Choose file" and select the attached spider_rs232.bin
5. Switch on STB
6. you will see the progress status on PC
7. STB will auto-reboot after finishing the downloading.
I have had no success/

I have tried all com port selections numbers 1 to 4 on all 3 USB ports on my laptop
The cable has been proved and tested on another receiver crossed null modem.
Any help would be appreciated

Ed

first job is - stop using the laptop , and 2nd job is - stop using usb ports and usb adapters , or vista or win7

ok , now those caveats are out of the way , you should be using a desktop or tower pc , or laptop pc , but one that is equipped with a proper 9 pin com port , most older machines do have these com ports , sometimes you get two 9 pin serial rs232 ports , sometimes you get a 9 pin and a 25 pin , but they are still rs232c ports , and make sure its running XP too

connect the null modem cable from this onboard com port to the spiderbox

now ensure the com port is set to baud speed 115,200 on the com port or ports ( usually com1 and com2 )

now fire up the loader and try to flash the box , but have the box switched off on rear switch until you start the download , then switch the box on and the download should start

when it does start , leave it alone until its completed , and its job done ( same as on the old technomate 1500 )

so basically , stop faffing around with laptops , usb ports , usb to serial adapters , vista and windows 7 !!

eddieaok
29-08-2011, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the help.

Tough for laptop owners only! (Using Windows7 or Vista)

Ed

echelon
29-08-2011, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the help.

Tough for laptop owners only! (Using Windows7 or Vista)

Ed

but vista has only been around for 4 years , and win7 only 2 years , and its only in the last few years that manufacturers have removed rs232 ports from pc,s and laptops

prior to that they always had rs232 com ports , which has been around for say 20 years , and com port flashing has been around almost as long , with dos , win95 , win98 , win98SE , win millenium , win 2000 and win xp

its the modern upstarts that cause the problems , so go back to basics when you wish to use the basic tools , and thats a pc desktop or tower with rs232 ports running xp , which is what the tools were designed for

you cannopt blame the box for your lack of the correct tools for the job !

a cabinetmaker/joiner would have trouble making a chest of drawers if you nicked his plane , handsaw , fretsaw , jigsaw , chisels , hammers etc :)

his modern 2011 swiss pocket knife just wouldnt cut it !